• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why this one-off inter-station time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian1944

For many years, the last weekday and Saturday trains to North Berwick have been allowed about 20 minutes from Drem, while all others on those days and throughout Sunday show about 10 minutes. I assume that it's some kind of fiddle to avoid late-running penalties, but can't see how it works if it's applied to only six trains a week out of 130 odd. Can someone enlighten me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't understand the point you're making. It's single-track between Drem and NB, if that has any relevance.
D'oh! I read it as Berwick (-on-Tweed). Should've twigged that it takes longer than 10 minutes to get to Berwick. In that case I'm not sure why there would be an engineering allowance.

greatkingrat

Established Member
It is better to put in the extra time between Drem and North Berwick as then when there is no engineering work the train can go straight through (arriving at North Berwick early).

If the extra time was added somewhere between Edinburgh and Drem, then the train would be forced to sit at Drem waiting for booked departure time, delaying North Berwick passengers unnecessarily.

ian1944

OK, I see the point but it seems surprisingly defensive. Rather than the last train (Mon to Sat, why not Sunday - are there never engineering delays then?) occasionally arriving late at NBW, instead it doesn't arrive early occasionally. I wonder if there are similar cases elsewhere, with the same conservative timetabling.

Veteran Member
OK, I see the point but it seems surprisingly defensive. Rather than the last train (Mon to Sat, why not Sunday - are there never engineering delays then?) occasionally arriving late at NBW, instead it doesn't arrive early occasionally. I wonder if there are similar cases elsewhere, with the same conservative timetabling.

Not uncommon practice in the wee small hours, though it's more usual on longer routes. Often combined with Set Down Only stops to allow flexibility.

Examples: 0350 Brighton to London (sufficient time to divert via Lewes or Hove); WCML trains (time to go via Northampton or run Slow Line), 2330 King's Cross to Leeds (all sorts of possibilities!) and plenty more....

Barracuda

All allowances are mandated in Section 5.5 of the Timetable Planning Rules (available online), single line working allowances are very common nationally.

Allowances vary by day of week, most likely Sunday is missing as maintenance staff are elsewhere on heavier weekend works.

Class 170101

Established Member
Also they want trains to get off the network quicker so the engineers can have all lines blocks on Saturday and Sunday nights.

causton

Established Member
Not uncommon practice in the wee small hours, though it's more usual on longer routes. Often combined with Set Down Only stops to allow flexibility.

Examples: 0350 Brighton to London (sufficient time to divert via Lewes or Hove)

Doesn't this one have enough padding time to be replaced by a bus to Haywards Heath (or maybe further) that can still leave at 0350 to keep to the original schedule?

Veteran Member
Doesn't this one have enough padding time to be replaced by a bus to Haywards Heath (or maybe further) that can still leave at 0350 to keep to the original schedule?

It has an extended stop at Three Bridges, so bus from Brighton straight up the A23 to TBG would work if there's work north of Keymer Jn.

Status
Not open for further replies.