• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Widnes-Liverpool Doubling Back Query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
I had a look earlier Today on the National Rail Planner for a journey Widnes-Liverpool around for 8pm this Evening. One of the possible journeys was getting the 20:11 from Widnes & change at Warrington, for the 20:30pm to Liverpool, which means i'd be doubling back through Widnes, would this be allowed if i tried this journey, i ended up catching the bus back to Liverpool?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think you will find it's suggesting a ticket Widnes-Warrington + Warrington-Liverpool.

Tickets Price
Single Fare
1 x Adult - Anytime Day Single£3.10
1 x Adult - Anytime Day Single£4.30
Total £7.40
Total £7.40
You need to buy multiple tickets for this journey
There's no problem doubling back on your journey with these tickets, because they would cover the whole journey.

There is a later train that is cheaper as it would be valid on a Widnes-Liverpool ticket, and the website shows this as a cheaper option.

Statto

Established Member
I think you will find it's suggesting a ticket Widnes-Warrington + Warrington-Liverpool.

Off-Peak Day Return, as well as Anytime Single.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

There's no problem doubling back on your journey with these tickets, because they would cover the whole journey.

There is a later train that is cheaper as it would be valid on a Widnes-Liverpool ticket, and the website shows this as a cheaper option.

Ahh right that clears that up, i didn't see the bit were you buy 2 tickets, i assumed it was on one ticket.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
National Rail Enquiries has, for a short while now, offered journeys that cannot be completed on one ticket by offering them as two tickets. I am unsure if it will offer any more than two tickets and I'm unsure if this is a "good" thing. It is good in the sense that is offers more options to the passenger and allows them to take routes that would not be permitted on one ticket, and possibly complete their journey quicker, but it adds complexity to the system and may confuse some people, for example it has caused a question for you.

If someone looked up this example online and saw the itinerary it offered you, and then went to a station and just purchased a Widnes to Liverpool ticket and doubled back using the ticket then they could be potentially liable for prosecution. This is not a good thing, obviously.

bakerstreet

National Rail Enquiries has, for a short while now, offered journeys that cannot be completed on one ticket by offering them as two tickets. I am unsure if it will offer any more than two tickets and I'm unsure if this is a "good" thing. It is good in the sense that is offers more options to the passenger and allows them to take routes that would not be permitted on one ticket, and possibly complete their journey quicker, but it adds complexity to the system and may confuse some people, for example it has caused a question for you.

If someone looked up this example online and saw the itinerary it offered you, and then went to a station and just purchased a Widnes to Liverpool ticket and doubled back using the ticket then they could be potentially liable for prosecution. This is not a good thing, obviously.

Would a passenger really be liable for prosecution for this?

Let me say i am no expert in trains or law but it does mean i can appreciate the confusion most passengers experience with ticket rules and regulations which some readers may not.

My guess is that most passengers like me worry about.

A. that they buy a ticket

B. the class of ticket;

C. whether they have their railcard with them for tickets bought with the discount.

D. that they are travelling from the first station written on the ticket and not before;

E. that they leave the train at or before the final destination on the ticket.

F. if theyre booked on a specific train with an advance ticket that theyre on the right train.

G. That they go the fastest way according to their own experience or the national rail website, or the way they might have driven in a car, or the way with least numbers of different change of trains, the way with the least walking between changes, the way which might include changing at a station with buffet or toilets or heated waiting room or where they might feel safer, the way which allows them to travel some of the way with a friend, or some other preference. These have all been my considerations in the past.

H. that their tickets are in date.

On that basis, most passengers probably pay more for most jouneys than they might need (eg buying Anytimes when another ticket might be better, or not splitting).

A month or so ago, just when i thought i was making some progress with the more complex rules, I was on a journey from A to B from boarding around 0700 ending at 0915 on a weekday morning.
I had purchased an Anytime return.
A helpful guard remarked that not only did i not require an Anytime for that journey, i didnt even require an Off-Peak. A Super off-peak would have sufficed!
I wont say which journey in case it's an anomoly or incorrect advice from the guard etc etc but it surprised me.

But to have a fear of prosection if you go by the wrong route or other complex rule if you have complied with A-H above (A-H are just my thoughts of what i think most people would think are reasonable) i would say seems very harsh. I would not argue with being asked to pay the extra on top of my ticket, in fact i would insist on paying, but if the prosecution bit is true im surprised passengers are so calm on the train !

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would a passenger really be liable for prosecution for this?!
Only if the TOC insisted that they paid the extra, and they refused to pay, I'd think.

I can't see something like this going straight to prosecution because that would be absurd. However unfortunately some RPIs do threaten people even with valid tickets with prosecution (I'm thinking of a certain FCC RPI in particular - see the johnmorris0844 cases) so anything is possible with some of the more dubious people the Railway industry employs (and is happy to keep employing, despite numerous complaints). Such individuals are very much a tiny minority, but they do exist, which is a cause for concern.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If the website offers a fare which is the combination of two fares and the passenger goes to the station and buys a different, lower fare (bearing in mind they should know the fare as they looked it up) I would say yes they are liable (IANAL), but if the website offered the fare paid for the journey, then I'd say not, although it may require proof (a print out).

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

This scenario is very very common at the moment. It isn't always the same way round, but I have been picking up quite a lot of tickets away from permitted routes recently where the passenger has already got a ticket from A to B, then checked NRES after purchase or before the return journey which gives them the fastest way to get from A to B without regard to routeing. The passenger then doesn't read (or does but doesn't understand) the bit about needing multiple tickets for the journey and sets sail onto an invalid route. Recent examples have been Glasgow to Leeds via Manchester, Scarborough to Dewsbury via Hull and London to Manchester (Rte Chesterfield) via Sheffield and Leeds. (In the latter case it was only 5 minutes quicker than the correct, permitted route direct from SHF to MAN)

Personally it would make life a lot easier for all concerned if NRES ONLY showed permitted routes on a through ticket at the first enquiry, but then had an option to see alternative routes which may require different tickets via a click button. The majority of people in the cases I come across do not want to go on a more expensive route, and would have happily adjusted their journey to one which they could use their through ticket for, had the details been more clearly shown.

bakerstreet

The majority of people in the cases I come across do not want to go on a more expensive route, and would have happily adjusted their journey to one which they could use their through ticket for, had the details been more clearly shown.

out of interest is there a reason why in a few cases the fastest route is not available on one ticket?

Sorry if that's not what your saying.

I suppose what Im wondering is how are there any journeys where the fastest route isnt allowed?

Shouldnt that be the default position?

Arent the railways all about speed?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
out of interest is there a reason why in a few cases the fastest route is not available on one ticket?
The examples above are not showing the "fastest route" but showing the quickest time available if departing at a certain time. e.g. if you just miss the hourly xx:05 train direct that takes 2 hours, and there's an xx:10 option via a longer (and, in fact, slower) route that takes 2 hours 50 minutes, then that will get you to your destination quicker than waiting for the next train. That's the sort of issue that's being discussed here.

I believe it is a separate issue when the fastest route isn't a valid route, and I certainly agree it should be.

But the two issues should not be confused.

John @ home

Established Member
The passenger then doesn't read (or does but doesn't understand) the bit about needing multiple tickets for the journey and sets sail onto an invalid route. Recent examples have been Glasgow to Leeds via Manchester
This depends on which station was used in Glasgow. Assuming route Any Permitted tickets, Glasgow Cen/QSt - Leeds is not permitted via Manchester, but High St Glasgow - Leeds is permitted via Manchester using map combination WY+GM+NW+ZZ and Edinburgh Group as an appropriate Routeing Point.
and London to Manchester (Rte Chesterfield) via Sheffield and Leeds.
Another interesting one. How did you calculate the lowest priced ticket(s) available for immediate travel that would have entitled (the passenger) to travel by that route.?

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The examples above are not showing the "fastest route" but showing the quickest time available if departing at a certain time. e.g. if you just miss the hourly xx:05 train direct that takes 2 hours, and there's an xx:10 option via a longer (and, in fact, slower) route that takes 2 hours 50 minutes, then that will get you to your destination quicker than waiting for the next train. That's the sort of issue that's being discussed here.

I believe it is a separate issue when the fastest route isn't a valid route, and I certainly agree it should be.

But the two issues should not be confused.

Indeed it is. I would agree that the fastest route by normal timetabled services should be a permitted route, however, as yorkie says, problems occur when there is a gap in the normal timetable at certain times. For example, the Scarborough to Dewsbury example above.

The valid journey on a Saturday evening is:

Scarborough depart 1948
Leeds arrive 2104
Leeds depart 2140
Dewsbury arrive 2151

The next departure from Scarborough towards York is at 2203 arriving at Dewsbury at 2346.

However, if you miss the 1948 by a few minutes, or even put in a search on NRES for a departure at 2000 hrs, then the following connection occurs:

Scarborough depart 2003
Hull arrive 2128
Hull depart 2133
Dewsbury arrive 2251.

It is most certainly not the fastest normal journey (it takes 2hrs 48minutes as opposed to 2hrs 3 minutes / 1hr 43 minutes via the direct route), but it just happens that is the quickest journey at that particular time due to an unusually large gap in the timetable on the fastest, most direct, shortest - and permitted - route.

Just because it is the fastest journey at that time, is it automatically valid? I would say no. (And it isn't a permitted route as per the routeing guide). Whilst NRES does tell you that you need multiple tickets if you look at prices, this is not at all clear nor obvious if you already have a ticket and are just searching for train times. And even if you did look at the ticket prices it is still not desperately obvious what it means - especially if you already have a ticket in the first place.

In the OP's case there are direct trains from Widnes to Liverpool at 2005 & 2058, arriving at 2030 & 2134 respectively. However, if you miss the 2005 it is quicker to catch the 2011 to Warrington then double back arriving at Liverpool at 2059. Whilst this may be the quickest, it is most certainly not permitted on one ticket just because it is the quickest journey at that time. And I don't think it ought to be. The fact that NRES shows this is confusing to those that do not full understand (which most passengers do not!).

This depends on which station was used in Glasgow. Assuming route Any Permitted tickets, Glasgow Cen/QSt - Leeds is not permitted via Manchester, but High St Glasgow - Leeds is permitted via Manchester using map combination WY+GM+NW+ZZ and Edinburgh Group as an appropriate Routeing Point.

I know we had this discussion recently regarding the use of map ZZ - Sleeper Trains for non sleeper trains. My interpretation is that map ZZ is only valid when used by sleeper trains, and NRES always says you need multiple tickets when going the way you suggest.

Another interesting one. How did you calculate the lowest priced ticket(s) available for immediate travel that would have entitled (the passenger) to travel by that route.?

I didn't do it in full. I went by the Excess fares instructions as regards "travelling by a different route with a higher fare" which state :

"Charge the difference between the fare paid and the appropriate Single fare for the journey being made.

If no through fare, charge the appropriate Single fare for the part of the journey not covered by the ticket held."

and charged a single fare for the portion of the journey on my train.

This is another case of the journey being slower - but quicker.

By leaving St Pancras at 1855 and there is a gap in the timetable from Sheffield to Manchester, thus it is quicker to go via Leeds. NRES says the following:

St Pancras depart 1855
Sheffield arrive 2100
Sheffield depart 2124
Leeds arrive 2221
Leeds depart 2240
Manchester Piccadilly arrive 2337.

Now this is going via Chesterfield, but is not a permitted route with that ticket as going via Leeds is not permitted.

However, the next journey is:

St Pancras depart 1955
Sheffield arrive 2216
Sheffield depart 2224
Manchester Piccadilly arrive 2343.

This later - and correct & permitted journey - leaves 1 hour later and arrives only 6 minutes later. Even if catching the 1855 from St Pancras changing at Sheffield should still be advised - is 6 minutes saving worth paying quite a bit more money for? (Although admittedly if booking in advance it may be cheaper with advance fares, but this is not the case if looking for on the day journeys).

Status
Not open for further replies.