• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will book with confidence be extended/made permanent (Ended 30th November)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenS123

Book with Confidence (BwC) is due to end on the 30th September, however most rail users have become used to being able to change their plans to get Rail Travel Vouchers and also most people like the reassurance that BwC brings.

Is it likely to be extended or ideally made permanent?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is it likely to be extended or ideally made permanent?
I would say that it's unlikely to be made permanent but no announcement has yet been made about that or an extension - but the last extension from 31st March was only announced on the 30th March.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would be intrigued to know (but probably never will) how much it is costing the industry, particularly now Advances are more complex than just "book a month in advance and get a few quid off".

thedbdiboy

It doesn't cost the industry anything because fare revenue is underwritten by the Government. This is also the reason why it's a Government decision on agreeing an extension. The Ministerial reshuffle will likely have held this up. Another reason why (certainly in the long run) it's not helpful to have the railways run day-to-day by Government departments.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It would be good to keep the scheme up and running to benefit those passengers whose plans do change. Not much point in going back to the older style of "You can change the date/time and pay the difference" for some operators whose timetable is only getting confirmed at short notice (i.e. Avanti).

After-all the 'refunds' are in the shape of vouchers (or in the case of Train Split as website credit) so the money isn't leaving the pot.

miklcct

On Moderation
It would be good to keep the scheme up and running to benefit those passengers whose plans do change. Not much point in going back to the older style of "You can change the date/time and pay the difference" for some operators whose timetable is only getting confirmed at short notice (i.e. Avanti).

After-all the 'refunds' are in the shape of vouchers (or in the case of Train Split as website credit) so the money isn't leaving the pot.
I think that the main concern is if the train companies can still manage the loading effectively as now the ticket is effectively refundable until 18:00 the day before.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I would be intrigued to know (but probably never will) how much it is costing the industry, particularly now Advances are more complex than just "book a month in advance and get a few quid off".
From what I hear that is the big question.

AdamWW

Established Member
From what I hear that is the big question.

Eurostar have made what is a I presume an entirely commercial decision to remove change fees for any change up to 7 days before travel (obviously any difference in fare still has to be paid and I don't think they refund if it's less).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Eurostar have made what is a I presume an entirely commercial decision to remove change fees for any change up to 7 days before travel (obviously any difference in fare still has to be paid and I don't think they refund if it's less).

I suppose there are middle of the road options like that, i.e. no change fee but any fare uplift payable, as Premier Inn seem to have stuck with and is quite useful. Unlike the railway they even do you a partial refund if the new price is lower.

A total abolition of the admin fee for any e- or m-ticket would be most of the way there without offering full refunds. There's no actual admin involved in changing an e-ticket anyway.

Pemberton

So the scheme appears to have been extended until the end of November 2022 from this on the National Rail fares section.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220919_085744_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919_085744_Chrome.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 73

Haywain

Veteran Member
So the scheme appears to have been extended until the end of November 2022 from this on the National Rail fares section.
That would be wrong anyway as the scheme is limited by when the change can be made rather than purchase date.

Haywain

Veteran Member
EMR are also showing the 30th November date, I wonder if it's already been confirmed internally but they're holding off on an announcement until after today: https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/book-with-confidence
It does look that way. At least EMR have not gone with the “purchased until” wording. I guess the 2 month extension is to give DfT more time to make a longer term decision (I was expecting a 6 month extension).

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
As the end date of the 30th November is only a few weeks away, any news or rumours about any future extensions to the scheme?

AY1975

Established Member
And if it isn't extended beyond 30th November, I wonder if tickets booked on or before that date for travel on or after 1st December will still be covered by the scheme as long as you submit your claim on or before 30th Nov?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An informed source has indicated to me today that a briefing has been circulated recently that says that Book With Confidence is not being extended any further but will apply to any journeys booked before then. Therefore you may wish to book any journeys you know you're going to want to make ASAP to still benefit from the Book With Confidence provisions!

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
An informed source has indicated to me today that a briefing has been circulated recently that says that Book With Confidence is not being extended any further but will apply to any journeys booked before then. Therefore you may wish to book any journeys you know you're going to want to make ASAP to still benefit from the Book With Confidence provisions!
I’ve had a nightmare with Southern BWC re ticket office staff wouldn’t exchange travel date or issue voucher (not sure they can issue vouchers as site instructions so vague?) refer you to do on line, did on line & got refused refund or voucher & some six weeks on yesterday my account was credited the fare with an apology & that only because I made a complaint then had it escalated.

Rant over but my point is I was stressed out with it as I had to change my plans in the first place & throw away money on an unused hotel booking as was strike days, my experience is BWC it isn’t fit for purpose & Southern staff that I dealt with couldn’t be bothered.

I’ll qualify that by saying the majority of Southern staff are helpful & go above & beyond & I’ve worked alongside them & am a commuter.

js517

"Customers who buy an Advance ticket up to and including 30 November 2022 will continue to have the current Book with Confidence easement to Advance terms until 18:00 the day before their ticket is valid for travel.

After 30 November 2022, any new ticket issued as a result of a change to a ticket that is covered by Book with Confidence will be subject to the ticket terms that apply from 01 December 2022 onwards."

?? So are there new terms coming from 1 Dec onwards, not just reversion to change required before 1800 the day before....??!!!

BenS123

SWR's website (https://www.southwesternrailway.com/book-with-confidence) states the following:
  • You may change the date, or time of travel before the train you originally booked to travel on is due to depart
  • You’ll will need to pay any difference in fare for the new journey and a £10 admin fee
  • Advance tickets are non-refundable unless the booked service has been cancelled, delayed or rescheduled by the train operator for reasons such as disruption or strikes
I was wondering if any website does not charge an admin fee for ticket changes?

Kite159

Veteran Member
SWR's website (https://www.southwesternrailway.com/book-with-confidence) states the following:
  • You may change the date, or time of travel before the train you originally booked to travel on is due to depart
  • You’ll will need to pay any difference in fare for the new journey and a £10 admin fee
  • Advance tickets are non-refundable unless the booked service has been cancelled, delayed or rescheduled by the train operator for reasons such as disruption or strikes
Maybe Cross Country?

Interesting to see the £10 'admin' fee coming back, wasn't there a court case into the £10 massively exceeding the actual cost of changing an advance when it's done as an e-ticket?

BenS123

I was thinking that - surely changing an e ticket does not cost £10 especially when some websites (for example XC) let you do it online which requires no admin at all

Haywain

Veteran Member
Admin fee is a bit of a misnomer - it's actually set up in retail systems as a Change of Journey fee.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Some sites don't charge admin fees in specific circumstances - for instance, the GTR sites if you refund a ToD booking for walk-up tickets that hasn't been collected, and XC if you change an Advance booked online/through the app. Other sites don't charge an admin fee at all, such as Railsmartr.

Clearly there is some administrative cost to changing or refunding tickets, but £10 will almost always exceed any reasonable approximation of these costs, plus (in the case of a refund) the lost commission. There is an ORR investigation ongoing on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.