• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will I be entitled to a refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all.

Just attempted to get to university travelling from Chinley to Mossley Hill. I boarded 1255 service to Manchester Piccadilly left a few down, got to New Mills Central and stood about 35 minutes before going back to Chinley and then left there again at 1408 ish. It was going to restart its journey via Stockport, this due to a broken down train at Marple.

By this time, I was pushing it to get to Uni at all. Will I be entitled to a refund as I didn't decide to travel in the end? I had already bought an Anytime Return - Chinley to Southport with a 16-25 railcard. Need to know soon as possible as I'm going away tomorrow morning.

I also give praise to the staff on the train, who did everything they could to keep us informed when really everything was out of their hands. The Hope Valley Line has had a nightmare time recently, today has been especially bad!

EDIT: According to http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G14315/2012/11/19/advanced it arrived at Piccadilly 72 minutes down.

Cheers

Tom

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
You can claim a refund if your travel is severely disrupted only if you surrender your ticket to a booking office there and then.

wintonian

Established Member
But you can claim compensation for the delay from the relevant Train Operating Company.

sheff1

Established Member
This seems to have highlighted a gap in the NRCoC.

As Chinley does not have a booking office you could clearly not return the ticket as in section (a) of NRCoC 26. However, the other alternatives listed in sections (b) (c) or (d) of the condition do not include the possibility that you purchased the ticket from the guard on the train which I assume you did.

NRCoC said:
26. Refunds on tickets that have not been used.
If you decide not to use a ticket (other than a Season Ticket - see Condition 36) to make all or part of your intended journey, then:
(a) if the train you intended to use is cancelled, delayed or your reservation will not be honoured, you decide not to travel and at that time you return the unused ticket to any ticket office, the Train Company responsible for that ticket office will, if it is in a position to do so, give you an immediate full refund as shown in Condition 27.
(b) if paragraph (a) does not apply and the ticket has been bought from a Train Company’s ticket office (or a self-service machine) and you return your ticket at any Train Company’s ticket office no later than 28 days after the expiry of the ticket’s validity, you will receive a refund (subject to the notes below); or
(c) if paragraph (a) does not apply, the ticket has been bought from a Train Company’s telesales office or a Train Company’s internet website and you return the ticket to an address notified by that Train Company no later than 28 days after the expiry of the ticket’s validity, you will receive a refund (subject to the notes below); or
(d) if paragraph (a) does not apply and the ticket has been bought from a travel agent, if you return the ticket to that agent no later than 28 days after the expiry of the ticket’s validity, you will receive a refund (subject to the notes below).
Notes:
(i) The amount of the refund will normally take into account any use you have made of the ticket and in some circumstances no refund will be paid.
(ii) In the case of a refund made under (b), (c), or (d) above, you may have to pay a reasonable administrative charge (not exceeding £10).
(iii) Your right to receive a refund of all or part of the price paid may be restricted in the case of some types of reduced and discounted fare tickets, for example, those with an advance purchase requirement. These rights are set out in the notices and other publications of the relevant Train Companies.
(iv) In the case of a refund under (b), (c), or (d) above, you will not receive an immediate refund but your refund application will be processed as soon as reasonably practicable.
(v) In the case of an Electronic Ticket, the refund process may require you to allow the person making the refund to delete the stored ticket data or to demonstrate to that person that you have done so in accordance with the conditions of that ticket.

I can only suggest you write to Northern explaining the circumstances. I would certainly hope that you are entitled to a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.