• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will I get charged for exiting in Zone 4 if I have a Travelcard Zone2-3 in this case?

CashmereCat

For example, the off-peak fare from West Brompton (Zone 2) to either Stonebridge Park (Zone 3) or Wembley Central (Zone 4) is the same, 1.9 pounds. So will I get an extra charge for exiting in Wembley Park if I have a Travelcard Zone2-3 in this case? If yes, how much?

I am a bit new to the London tube and I am often confused by how much more I have to pay if I exit in zones not included in my Travelcard.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

"So will I get an extra charge for exiting in Wembley Park"

Should be Wembley Central. Sorry for the typo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
For example, the off-peak fare from West Brompton (Zone 2) to either Stonebridge Park (Zone 3) or Wembley Central (Zone 4) is the same, 1.9 pounds. So will I get an extra charge for exiting in Wembley Park if I have a Travelcard Zone2-3 in this case? If yes, how much?

I am a bit new to the London tube and I am often confused by how much more I have to pay if I exit in zones not included in my Travelcard.

Yes, you'll be charged the fare for the journey beyond the validity of your Travelcard.

AlbertBeale

Established Member

By the way - if you're new to the UK, please note that the legally correct form is £1.90, not £1.9! According the the regulations issued at the time the UK currency went decimal, in 1971, the second figure is not a decimal of a pound but the number of pence; hence £1.9 strictly speaking means £1 and 9p. However, after all this time it's not uncommon for people to get it wrong...

etr221

Yes, you'll be charged the fare for the journey beyond the validity of your Travelcard.
Note that to have a valid ticket when going beyond your Travelcard Zones you have to touch in and out, and have a positive cash balance on the Travelcard (from which the extra fare will be deducted).

Spamcan81

By the way - if you're new to the UK, please note that the legally correct form is £1.90, not £1.9! According the the regulations issued at the time the UK currency went decimal, in 1971, the second figure is not a decimal of a pound but the number of pence; hence £1.9 strictly speaking means £1 and 9p. However, after all this time it's not uncommon for people to get it wrong...
If we’re strictly speaking, £1 and 9p is £1.09.

island

Veteran Member

Yes, you will be charged for travelling in zones that you do not have a Travelcard for. The fact that the price would be the same if you did not have a Travelcard does not, unfortunately, change anything.

Somewhere

You would still be saving money, as a Zones 2&3 Travelcard is cheaper than a Zones 2, 3&4 Travelcard

AlbertBeale

Established Member
If we’re strictly speaking, £1 and 9p is £1.09.

Indeed so - I was writing it down as though giving a verbal explanation, not in terms of how it should be written! My original point is that £1.9 is incorrect, but in as much as it means anything, it means - strictly speaking - £1.09, not £1.90.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hopefully @CashmereCat has both their Travelcard and also some 'pay as you go' credit loaded onto their Oyster card? Should be both on the same card.

If so, they are ready to go; remember to touch in at the first station and out at the last.

Haywain

Veteran Member
My original point is that £1.9 is incorrect, but in as much as it means anything, it means - strictly speaking - £1.09, not £1.90.
That might be your view but it quite normal these days that prices are expressed in this way especially in restaurants and cafes. I think the number of people who would think that £1.9 means £1.09 is very small now.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
That might be your view but it quite normal these days that prices are expressed in this way especially in restaurants and cafes. I think the number of people who would think that £1.9 means £1.09 is very small now.

Yes - I realise that many people might not see it that way; however, the small print at the time of decimalisation was very clear on this point... (for what that's worth!). And I'm old enough and pedantic enough...

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes - I realise that many people might not see it that way; however, the small print at the time of decimalisation was very clear on this point... (for what that's worth!). And I'm old enough and pedantic enough...
That's not how HMRC would understand it.

When to use​

Use this pattern when the user must enter an amount of money in pounds. If the user does not have to enter an amount, make it optional.

Only allow the user to enter whole numbers, or numbers with one or 2 decimal places, for example, £10, £10.4 or £10.40.

If necessary, remove any decimals and round up or down any amounts before validating.

Do not allow numbers with more than 2 decimal places.

etr221

That's not how HMRC would understand it.

Reading from that:
Allow the user to enter numbers with or without:
  • spaces
  • commas
  • pound symbols (£)
  • full stops - to indicate pence
Only allow the user to enter whole numbers, or numbers with one or 2 decimal places, for example, £10, £10.4 or £10.40.

If necessary, remove any decimals and round up or down any amounts before validating.

Do not allow numbers with more than 2 decimal places.
As it says "full stops to indicate pence" it becomes unclear as to whether the '.4' in £10.4 indicates the number of pence (i.e. ten pounds and four pence), or a decimal fraction (four tenths (of a pound)).

I would say always use two digits after the '.' to avoid confusion

And going back to decimalisation in 1971, before then a leading zero for single digit numbers of shillings or (old) pence was distinctly abnormal. (And prices were often given just in shillings, rather then £sd, even when over 20/-, so one and a half guineas would be given as 31/6, rather than £1 10s 6d (or £1.52½ in new money). I think the railway always did this for normal fares)

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It irritates me every time I see it. But unfortunately I think it is here to stay, unless at some time there is a law passed that mandates correct presentation of prices in restaurants, shops etc.

Haywain

Veteran Member
As it says "full stops to indicate pence" it becomes unclear as to whether the '.4' in £10.4 indicates the number of pence (i.e. ten pounds and four pence), or a decimal fraction (four tenths (of a pound)).
It refers to "one or 2 decimal places", so is actually very clear that £10.4 is the exact same as £10.40.

It irritates me every time I see it.
Me too, but it doesn't cause any confusion.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Reading from that:

I would say always use two digits after the '.' to avoid confusion

And going back to decimalisation in 1971, before then a leading zero for single digit numbers of shillings or (old) pence was distinctly abnormal. (And prices were often given just in shillings, rather then £sd, even when over 20/-, so one and a half guineas would be given as 31/6, rather than £1 10s 6d (or £1.52½ in new money). I think the railway always did this for normal fares)

Yes - single digits after the "/" did fine for shillings or pence, since (a) it was generally a slash rather than a dot or point, and (b) the subdivisions weren't decimal and so no-one could mistake the smaller unit for a tenth of the larger one anyway, even if it was written with a dot.

One reason why it was specified explicitly that a figure after a number of pounds and a dot was the number of pence and not a decimal of a pound was that the pence could include fractions. Although the old pre-decimal halfpenny was abandoned as a coin (and - almost universally - in pricing) just before the switch to decimal coinage, there was still a need for a reasonable approximation to a whole old penny (1d) - and this was of course half a new penny. And with the very common 6d coin (and the frequent odd 6p in prices) having an exact decimal equivalent (2.5p), post-decimal prices frequently ended with 2½p or 7½p. The need for fractions to be an option in the pence figure ruled out treating the pence figure as though it was a decimal of a pound; it always legally meant the number of pence. For those of us who know that, it is indeed unconfusing - to the extent that to me it unambiguously means the number of pence, not a decimal of a pound.

One of these days I'll go into an over-trendy cafe selling cups of coffee for something like "£3.5" (often without even putting the "£" in!), and hand over exactly 3 pounds and 5 pence and see what they do. Any confusion is the cafe's, not mine!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
We seem to have drifted off-topic in this thread Ways of writing amounts of money is very interesting but is not really relevent to the oroginal question.