• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the Queen be able to open the Crossrail Elizabeth Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Going off recent events, with HM being unable to make some public appearances, it would be such a shame if the line was unable to be opened by her in person.
It would be highly appropriate, given both the troubles opening the line has had and the shameless sycophancy of naming it after her, for her to be unable to attend and send Charles instead.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It would be highly appropriate, given both the troubles opening the line has had and the shameless sycophancy of naming it after her, for her to be unable to attend and send Charles instead.
Well Victoria didn't open the Victoria line, and I don't think she was present at any of the several Victoria station openings while she was alive.
I haven't discovered if Empress Sisi opened the Kaiserin Elisabeth Bahn, named after her, in Austria in 1860 (better known as the Westbahn).
The ceremony at Salzburg was attended by Franz Joseph and Maximilian II of Bavaria, and Josef Strauss composed a polka for the occasion.

The Queen could always push a button at Windsor to set things going.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Well Victoria didn't open the Victoria line, and I don't think she was present at any of the several Victoria station openings while she was alive.
I haven't discovered if Empress Sisi opened the Kaiserin Elisabeth Bahn, named after her, in Austria in 1860 (better known as the Westbahn).
The ceremony at Salzburg was attended by Franz Joseph and Maximilian II of Bavaria, and Josef Strauss composed a polka for the occasion.

Royalty and politicians should stay well away from it, let one of the people who built the thing open it.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hope they still got their hard hats, given some people might wish to hang them out to dry...
Huh? Aren't the people in charge now those who came in to 'steady the ship' rather than those who led the idea that it was opening in 2018?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Hope they still got their hard hats, given some people might wish to hang them out to dry...
I was meaning a TBM operator or similar, who worked very hard in incredibly difficult circumstances to deliver an incredible piece of engineering.

Wolfie

Established Member

Given the relative timings (her death and the line opening) it would have been one hell of a shock if Victoria had, lol....

PG

Established Member
I was meaning a TBM operator or similar, who worked very hard in incredibly difficult circumstances to deliver an incredible piece of engineering.
Yes many many people like these grafted and any one (or more) of them would be fitting to open it.

I seem to recall some stations were found to be deficient in one aspect or another and that was what my hard hat comment alluded to. I'm unsure, however, if those deficiencies were due to workmanship or failures in specifications or some other issue?

Mollman

Established Member
Royalty and politicians should stay well away from it, let one of the people who built the thing open it.
Unfortunately the opening will be taking place during a period of Westminster Government and Mayor of London being at loggerheads - might get a TfL organised opening ceremony with the Mayor and a DfT orgainised ceremony with Johnson & Shapps (though this might take place many years after the actual opening given how long DfT take to do anything)!

Domeyhead

And that is one of the reasons for having a Monarchy. Let one random person drawn from a hat open it and the other few thousand all feel that their contributions have been overlooked or passed over to the winner of a raffle. You get her Majesty to do it not only because she is the Head of State, not a jointer or packer. And she has had a lifetime of practice of not fluffing her lines. I just hope she is fit and well enough to attend the ceremony herself. If every duty currently performed by a Royal was replaced by a random selection algorithm the public would quickly lost interest in all ceremonies and any pomp and circumstance would fall away to nothing.

zwk500

Veteran Member
And that is one of the reasons for having a Monarchy. Let one random person drawn from a hat open it and the other few thousand all feel that their contributions have been overlooked or passed over to the winner of a raffle. You get her Majesty to do it not only because she is the Head of State, not a jointer or packer. And she has had a lifetime of practice of not fluffing her lines. I just hope she is fit and well enough to attend the ceremony herself. If every duty currently performed by a Royal was replaced by a Random selection algorithm people would
This is OT, but I've heard some very dodgy justifications for Royalty and this takes the biscuit by a country mile. You have a monarchy purely to open railway stations so that the workforce doesn't feel overlooked? A lifetime's practice of doing precisely as she's told to by the compere, with everything rehearsed to the nth degree beforehand so there's nothing for her to fluff up?

You have many ways of choosing a worthy representative (or representatives) of the workforce, and a good many of them would be really pleased for their mates to be able to get up and say 'we did this' when they cut the ribbon.

MotCO

Established Member
And that is one of the reasons for having a Monarchy. Let one random person drawn from a hat open it and the other few thousand all feel that their contributions have been overlooked or passed over to the winner of a raffle. You get her Majesty to do it not only because she is the Head of State, not a jointer or packer. And she has had a lifetime of practice of not fluffing her lines. I just hope she is fit and well enough to attend the ceremony herself. If every duty currently performed by a Royal was replaced by a random selection algorithm the public would quickly lost interest in all ceremonies and any pomp and circumstance would fall away to nothing.
The strength of having monarchy is that the Queen is beholden to no one - no 'special' friends, large corporate donors, protest groups or anyone. She acts in the best interests of the country or Commonwealth and no-one else.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
She is a 95 year old lady and clearly increasingly elderly and frail. Covid has clearly taken a toll and I suspect losing her husband has also hit her harder than anyone can imagine. I am no Royalist but she has been a constant in our lives for all of our lives.

Domeyhead

This is OT, but I've heard some very dodgy justifications for Royalty and this takes the biscuit by a country mile. You have a monarchy purely to open railway stations so that the workforce doesn't feel overlooked? A lifetime's practice of doing precisely as she's told to by the compere, with everything rehearsed to the nth degree beforehand so there's nothing for her to fluff up?

You have many ways of choosing a worthy representative (or representatives) of the workforce, and a good many of them would be really pleased for their mates to be able to get up and say 'we did this' when they cut the ribbon.
No, I didn't say that was the <only> reason for having a monarchy. I said that as Head of State the monarch has a symbolic presence that far outweighs the winner of a raffle. Don't try and use hyperbole - stick to what I said. Your lifetime's practice comment suggests you think I am in some way applauding some amazing skill the QUeen has rather than just recognising her experience? The ROyal Family's role is largely ceremonial anyway. They represent all of us, and that includes all the taxpayers who paid for it and those who planned, designed or promoted it not just a faction involved in its construction.

westv

Established Member
Do we know which monarch will be on the throne when it finally opens?

Cloud Strife

Established Member
She is a 95 year old lady and clearly increasingly elderly and frail.

I think she's also accepting that it's time to slow down and enjoy herself rather than worry about public appearances. She's likely to be far, far too proud to be seen in a wheelchair or to be getting assistance with moving around, hence it's probably her choice to strictly limit her public appearances.

Gloster

Established Member
I think that she will continue to carry out such engagements as she feels she is physically capable of, but she will be most determined to fulfil those that have a constitutional role. The opening of Elizabeth Line is not one of those and she may well pass up on the engagement in order to conserve her energies for those of national importance.

I for one will not begrudge HM sitting this one out and passing on the task to another in her family.
Whatever your views and beliefs on the monarchy, she has spent almost all her adult lifetime fulfilling her duties and responsibilities on behalf of our nation and its citizens.
Sadly, her time is drawing towards its close and she should be allowed to take a back seat in the years she has left.

brad465

Established Member
I think the Jubilee (celebration, not line) events will greatly influence whether or not the Queen opens the Elizabeth Line. I think a strong effort to try and get her to attend at least 1 event over the Jubilee weekend will be a top priority, even if that means foregoing a lot of other events in the build-up. So if Crossrail opens before that weekend, I don't see her doing it unless she's both fit enough and really willing to. If it opened after that weekend, she may need time to recover from the weekend events if she attended any, and if she didn't attend any then that'll be a sign she's not fit enough to open Crossrail, so on the whole I think it's highly unlikely she'll open it.

If it was down to me I'd get that person from New York called "Liz Line", who was trending on Twitter after the naming of the Elizabeth line, to open it.

duncanp

Established Member
If it was down to me I'd get that person from New York called "Liz Line", who was trending on Twitter after the naming of the Elizabeth line, to open it.

Directory enquiries has several people called Elizabeth Lyne , who live in various locations around the UK.

There is also a Victoria Lyne who lives in London, and I am quite sure she never gets her leg pulled about her name when travelling on the tube. :D

TheEdge

Established Member
I think that she will continue to carry out such engagements as she feels she is physically capable of, but she will be most determined to fulfil those that have a constitutional role. The opening of Elizabeth Line is not one of those and she may well pass up on the engagement in order to conserve her energies for those of national importance.

I'd agree with this. Having seen her miss Easter service among plenty of other things recently I really do think we've seen the end of her doing anything except the Opening of Parliament and the various duties with the PM unless its really something she feels up to.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The strength of having monarchy is that the Queen is beholden to no one - no 'special' friends, large corporate donors, protest groups or anyone. She acts in the best interests of the country or Commonwealth and no-one else.
Indeed. Although I don’t much care for the name of the new railway, it really ought to have just been Crossrail.

I am sure Charles or William will open it.

brad465

Established Member
The Queen is making a surprise visit to The Elizabeth Line's Paddington a week ahead of opening:

The Queen is making a surprise visit to Paddington Station to see the completed Elizabeth line.
Transport for London (TfL) has announced the delayed project will open to the public on 24 May.
Ahead of the opening, the 96-year-old monarch joined her youngest son the Earl of Wessex for the official visit.
The longest reigning head of state is just over two weeks away from her Platinum Jubilee celebratory weekend to celebrate 70 years as monarch.

GS250

Indeed. Although I don’t much care for the name of the new railway, it really ought to have just been Crossrail.

I am sure Charles or William will open it.
The irony being though, that even when open soon....it's anything but 'crossrail'. Maybe it will finally get that title when you are able to travel from Reading to Shenfield without changing.

najaB

Veteran Member
That wouldn't work for the TfL tube line naming convention 'x Line' - "Crossrail Line" doesn't really work.

Established Member
That wouldn't work for the TfL tube line naming convention 'x Line' - "Crossrail Line" doesn't really work.
But it isn’t a tube line it’s a National Rail service. They don’t have the “Overground Line” or “Thameslink Line”

Other cities e.g. Paris use different naming conventions for different types of line with numbers for the Métro and letters for the RER, which is what Crossrail is.

MattRat

On Moderation
Unfortunately the opening will be taking place during a period of Westminster Government and Mayor of London being at loggerheads - might get a TfL organised opening ceremony with the Mayor and a DfT orgainised ceremony with Johnson & Shapps (though this might take place many years after the actual opening given how long DfT take to do anything)!
I'm sure Sadiq and Johnson would force one through, just so they can play the contest of who has the biggest ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.