• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will there be a Virgin Trains seat sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alistair G.

It's coming up to the new year (Happy new year to everyone btw!) and usually virgin trains west coast offer some form of seat sale.

Normally I've heard rumblings of a start date by now but nothing as yet. Anyone any the wiser on here??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Virgin West Coast have had a seat sale fairly recently so I can't see there being another one so soon.

palmersears

Established Member
Are we expecting any other TOCs to have a sale of any description as we enter 2018?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have a hunch VTEC will have a moderately useful sale, given that they’ve been throwing £5/£10 fares around like confetti this past year.

@Wallsendmag may know the answer to that however ;)

ScotTrains

TPEx usually have a Jan sale. Normally it is 50% off. Works with railcard discount too, resulting in quite a good deal. Hopefully they'll run it again.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Both VTEC and VTWC had seat sales round about Black Friday, as did TPE, so I'd be surprised if any of them have another sake within the next few weeks.

Alistair G.

Thanks for the responses guys. Shame if they don't have one as I always enjoy a trip to Glasgow, but it's just too much for little old me even if buying in advance!

JBuchananGB

Just received a personalised email offering 20% off VTWC advance purchase tickets. Not much good to me as one of the many conditions is that no other discounts apply. So I get more discount with my railcard!

gazthomas

Established Member
Just received a personalised email offering 20% off VTWC advance purchase tickets. Not much good to me as one of the many conditions is that no other discounts apply. So I get more discount with my railcard!
Was that East Coast rather than West Coast? If the latter are you able to share?

JBuchananGB

It was West Coast. Text of e-mail follows.

It's been a while since we took you to Manchester Piccadilly, and we'd love to see you again - so we're giving you 20% off* your next advanced West Coast journey! We've made some great additions since your last trip too! So have a little book.
(By the way I have never travelled with them to Manchester Piccadilly!)
Then comes the unique promotional code followed by the small print:

*Terms and Conditions

1. The promotion is open to UK residents aged 18 years or over except employees of Virgin Trains (West Coast) and their families, affiliated companies, suppliers, agents and anyone professionally associated with the promotion.
2. The 20% discount applies when using a valid PIN (Personal Identification Number) when you buy a Virgin Trains (West Coast) Advance fare only.
3. Child discounts apply. No further discounts apply.
4. The entire promotion is valid for a period of 30 days from the date of the initial email.
5. The offer is limited to one PIN per person.
6. Each PIN is valid for one use only. Valid for up to 2 passengers travelling on a single or return journey. If making a return journey both outward and return must be booked at the same time.
7. The discounts can only be applied when using the link supplied in the email containing the PIN. The discount is not available through any other sales channels.
8. The discount is only available through virgintrains.com
9. Seat reservations are compulsory and free of charge for both outward and return journeys and are only valid when travelling on Virgin Trains (West Coast). Customers must travel on the trains they reserve and sit in the seats they reserve. If customers wish to travel on different dates or trains, they will have to pay the full walk up fare.
10. The PIN has no cash value.
11. Travel is subject to availability and requested journeys cannot be guaranteed.
12. Tickets can be collected at FastTicket machines at the relevant stations, sent as e-tickets or distributed via post (for a fee).
13. Tickets are non-refundable.
14. Ticket purchases can be amended by paying a £10 administration fee and the difference in fares.
15. If you have specific needs or require journey assistance when travelling by train, please contact JourneyCare at least 24 hours before you intend to travel.
16. All travel is subject to The National Conditions of Carriage, copies of which may be obtained from ticket offices. No refunds are available for promotional discounted tickets.
17. Travel is only available on services operated by Virgin Trains (West Coast). In cases of severe disruption The National Conditions of Carriage apply. If you are in any doubt as to whether a certain train is run by Virgin Trains (West Coast), you should check with the staff before boarding.
18. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the promoter reserves the right to cancel the promotion without prior notice.
19. By entering the promotion all participants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the terms and conditions and by any other requirements set out in the promotional material.
20. The website is provided by Virgin Trains (West Coast). The site is controlled from the UK and therefore does not represent the content which will be appropriate in all jurisdictions. If you choose to access the site from outside the UK you must ensure compliance with local laws. Your entrance to the site is subject to you accepting the terms and conditions.
21. Virgin Trains (West Coast) reserves the right to revise the terms and conditions, information materials and notices on this site from time to time or to temporarily or permanently discontinue the site or any part of it from time to time without prior notice should circumstances make this unavoidable. You should review the terms and conditions each time you visit this site.
22. Virgin Trains (West Coast) endeavours to ensure that the information on the site is accurate but makes no representations or warranties as to accuracy and accepts no liability for the same.
23. Virgin Trains (West Coast) does not control all sites linked to the site and shall have no liability for the same.
24. Personal information provided by you to the site will be used in accordance with the laws enforced under the Data Protection Act.
25. Full Advance ticket terms and conditions are available at www.virgintrains.com or by calling 0333 103 1031.

JBuchananGB

Got another one!
How about a winter get-away packed with adventure, snack boxes, and no checking work emails?

To bag your 20% off*, simply book before the end of January and travel on any day before 29 March 2018. Here’s to bustin’ those January blues!

Then a PIN code and another load of Ts & Cs

*Terms and conditions:
1.The promotion is open to UK residents aged 18 years or over except employees of Virgin Trains (West Coast) and their families, affiliated companies, suppliers,agents, and anyone professionally associated with the promotion. 2. The 20% discount applies when using a valid PIN (Personal Identification Number) when you buy a Virgin Trains (West Coast) Advance fare only. 3.Tickets are available for booking by clicking on the link in the email by 23:59 on 31 January 2018, for travel up to 29 March 2018 inclusive. Please ensure the booking window is open and valid for the date you intend to book or travel. 4.The offer is limited to one PIN per person. 5. Each PIN can only be used once and is valid for up to 2 passengers travelling on the same single or return journey. If making a return journey both outward and return must be booked at the same time. 6. Child discounts apply. No further discounts (including Rail Cards)apply. 7. The discount is only available through virgintrains.com and can only be applied when using the link supplied in the email containing the PIN. The discount is not available through any other sales channels. 8. Seat reservations are compulsory and free of charge for both outward and return journeys and are only valid when travelling on Virgin Trains (West Coast). You must travel on the trains and sit in the seats that you have reserved. 9. The PIN has no cash value. 10. Travel is subject to availability and requested journeys cannot be guaranteed. 11. Tickets can be sent as e-tickets, collected at FastTicket machines at the relevant stations, or distributed via post (for a fee). 12. Tickets are non-refundable.13. If you have specific needs or require journey assistance when travelling by train,please contact Journey Care at least 24 hours before you intend to travel. 14.All travel is subject to The National Conditions of Carriage, copies of which may be obtained from ticket offices. 15. In cases of severe disruption The National Conditions of Carriage apply. If you are in any doubt as to whether a certain train is run by Virgin Trains (West Coast), you should check with staff before boarding. 16. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the promoter reserves the right to cancel the promotion without prior notice. 17. By entering the promotion all participants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the terms and conditions and by any other requirements set out in the promotional material. 18. The website is provided by Virgin Trains (West Coast). The site is controlled from the UK and therefore does not represent the content which will be appropriate in all jurisdictions. If you choose to access the site from outside the UK you must ensure compliance with local laws. Your entrance to the site is subject to you accepting the terms and conditions. 19.Virgin Trains (West Coast) reserves the right to revise the terms and conditions, information materials and notices on this site from time to time or to temporarily or permanently discontinue the site or any part of it from time to time without prior notice should circumstances make this unavoidable. You should review the terms and conditions each time you visit this site. 20.Virgin Trains (West Coast) endeavours to ensure that the information on the site is accurate but makes no representations or warranties as to accuracy and accepts no liability for the same. 21. Virgin Trains (West Coast) does not control all sites linked to the site and shall have no liability for the same.22. Personal information provided by you to the site will be used in accordance with the laws enforced under the Data Protection Act. 23. Full Advance ticket terms and conditions are available at virgintrains.com or by calling 0333103 1031.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
i got a 15% one as well. I can get 20% off advance fares through my work benefits anyway.

Silver Cobra

Got another one!

Then a PIN code and another load of Ts & Cs

I'm guessing the level of discount varies depending on how much you've spent with Virgin Trains over the last year or so. I also got a code in an email, but mine is for 15% off rather than 20%. I didn't travel too much with VTWC over the last year, so that's why I think it's down to that.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I was sent a code for 20% off today. At first I jumped for joy until I read through the terms and conditions to find that my railcard gives me more of a discount.

I wonder why Virgin bother to send these codes to people who like me have booked with them in the past using their railcard, as they know that we are hardly going to choose using them over railcard next time we buy train tickets :-/

tago

I was sent a silly 15% discount. Like others I can access a 20% discount when I need to. Why do they bother?

IanD

Established Member
I wonder why Virgin bother to send these codes to people who like me have booked with them in the past using their railcard, as they know that we are hardly going to choose using them over railcard next time we buy train tickets :-/

I'm guessing they are not psychic and don't know whether your railcard has expired or whether you are now too old to qualify for a railcard (assuming you have the 16-25 version).

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I'm guessing they are not psychic and don't know whether your railcard has expired or whether you are now too old to qualify for a railcard (assuming you have the 16-25 version).
That is a good point. I still can't but feel that these discount codes should be sent to people who have bought tickets without a railcard as they are more likely to be used appreciated by them.

It is not hard to do a database search to see who has spent a considerable amount recently and deserves a discount actually worth value to them personally, rather than a lazy "send to all".

Buying lots of tickets with a railcard for long distance travel should be rewarded by Virgin as it is people like us who contribute a huge amount to their profits. A measly 15% or 20% although well meant, is a slap in the face.

JBuchananGB

It's a mystery. I've only ever booked one trip with them, and that was a "seat sale" trip, according to the journey history on my account on their web site, and of course that does not reveal that I have a rail card, because "seat sale" trips don't qualify, as don't these latest offers. I usually book with AGA.

317 forever

Established Member
Not about a seat sale as such. I have just noticed that Virgin Trains have not released any Advance fares for Easter yet. They have introduced some for just after Easter eg Tuesday April 2nd. Conversely, Cross Country, East Midlands Trains and even London North Western into Euston have already introduced some Advance fares for Easter.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Not about a seat sale as such. I have just noticed that Virgin Trains have not released any Advance fares for Easter yet. They have introduced some for just after Easter eg Tuesday April 2nd. Conversely, Cross Country, East Midlands Trains and even London North Western into Euston have already introduced some Advance fares for Easter.
Thought I did that last Tuesday. Are you meaning VTWC?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That is a good point. I still can't but feel that these discount codes should be sent to people who have bought tickets without a railcard as they are more likely to be used appreciated by them.

It is not hard to do a database search to see who has spent a considerable amount recently and deserves a discount actually worth value to them personally, rather than a lazy "send to all".

Buying lots of tickets with a railcard for long distance travel should be rewarded by Virgin as it is people like us who contribute a huge amount to their profits. A measly 15% or 20% although well meant, is a slap in the face.

I don’t think you understand the point of offering personalised discounts.

If you’re a regular customer and Virgin know they can rely on you to make regular purchases, why would they give you a discount? It’s likely you’ll use that discount on a journey you’d have made anyway, but now you’re giving them less money.

The point of these discounts is to activate marginal, occasional customers who haven’t bought in a while - or perhaps even not at all. This encourages these people to spend more money than they otherwise would have, perhaps on a marginal or opportunist trip they wouldn’t have otherwise made with them.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
There were a fair few of these during '18 but don't seem to have been as many in '19? Mind you, I could take advantage more last year as I had many weekdays off being a 4 on 4 off pattern.
Now I'm back working Monday to Friday, it depends on the tickets being available on weekends or me having a day's annual leave!
O2 Priority is often a good place to look if you are on O2.

Tim456

There were a fair few of these during '18 but don't seem to have been as many in '19? Mind you, I could take advantage more last year as I had many weekdays off being a 4 on 4 off pattern.
Now I'm back working Monday to Friday, it depends on the tickets being available on weekends or me having a day's annual leave!
O2 Priority is often a good place to look if you are on O2.
Agree, seat sales have been few and far between this year compared to previous years. TOCs are obviously filling trains so don’t feel the need to have a sale. Also, with engineering works both on the ECML and WCML this month may have had a bearing on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.