• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will you be eating out to help out?

Will you be eating out to help out?

• YES - I will be eating out more often due to the scheme

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • YES - I will be eating out as much as usual, but taking advantage of the scheme

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • NO - I think it's too dangerous to eat out at the moment

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • NO - I do not normally eat out and this scheme won't encourage me

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I will be eating out but avoiding the scheme as it will make places too busy

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Don't know / undecided

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • NO - I'd like to eat out, but won't while the Covid Secure measures are in place

Votes: 19 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichJF

The way people have been haphazardly adhering to social distancing/sanitisation in my local town has put me off eating out for the forseeable future anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Is it not better for businesses that people use them within the current restrictions than not at all?

I suspect the answer is that people who hadn’t even considered dining out since 29 March will take one look at the hoops they have to jump through and say ‘nah, I’ll pass’.
If the restaurants involved put on more staff in anticipation of an increase in diners, and the policy doesn’t have enough of an effect, they could make bigger losses than last week.

AdamWW

Established Member
The way people have been haphazardly adhering to social distancing/sanitisation in my local town has put me off eating out for the forseeable future anyway.

I think at present your chances of becoming infected if out and about are pretty low.

If people don't stick to the rules it might not stay like that...

mmh

Established Member
I suspect the answer is that people who hadn’t even considered dining out since 29 March will take one look at the hoops they have to jump through and say ‘nah, I’ll pass’.
If the restaurants involved put on more staff in anticipation of an increase in diners, and the policy doesn’t have enough of an effect, they could make bigger losses than last week.

Providing places have resisted the urge for perspex they might not be too bad. One restaurant I know is fully booked for tonight and tomorrow, but that could be the combination of the offer and it being the first time restaurants have been open here since March (it was the 20th not the 29th by the way - a date that I imagine will be engraved in my memory for a long long time)

Might see how busy McDonald's and KFC are for lunch tomorrow, but I think there's a high chance they'll be rammed. Maybe a sit in chippy instead.

thejuggler

Just been chatting to a neighbour who was just returning from Mcdonalds. There was no one at the drive thru as no discount applies.

No surprise that most customers were ordering, getting the discount, going to a table, walking out with the food.

Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
I have added an option to the poll to cover those who would like to eat out, but won't at the moment due to measures such as contact tracing, wearing of masks, one-way systems etc.

AdamWW

Established Member
Just been chatting to a neighbour who was just returning from Macdonalds. There was no one at the drive thru as no discount applies.

No surprise that most customers were ordering, getting the discount, going to a table, walking out with the food.

Ah yes. Unintended consequences and all that...

Freightmaster

Established Member
No.

1. I'm not eating out in what resembles a nuclear waste zone, it's not enjoyable.
2. I'm not eating out when I have to be treated as a toxic infectious dangerous object
3. I'm not prepared to submit to the possibility of an arbitrary 14 day prison sentence
Have you actually been to a pub/restaurant since they reopened?? :rolleyes:

I have (a dozen times) and with one notable exception, the vast majority are nothing like you describe above.

MARK

Trackman

Established Member
My other local (a Youngs) are doing it from today, but even with 50% off for the first £10 it's still £10 for a burger, I'm sure they have put the prices up.
I'd be better off going to spoons.
I was actually going to sample it this week, but I'm stuck up north.

Darandio

Established Member
What another gloomy thread. I read in other threads about people being sick of doom and gloom from the media yet when I read this new thread today it's full of doom and gloom from the same people.

Yes i'll be taking advantage of it by going to local independent eateries that are taking part, I want to support them as much as I can.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
It’s tough in Scotland, I want to support businesses but Sturgeon makes it clear in her tone and remarks she’d rather we kept our visits to pubs/restaurants to a minimum, tough to know what to do.

Alan Glaum

I'll do it, at least once a week. Different places each time
But in part to actually look at the changes and see what is too much and what is too little. At the moment, I'd be worried with any place NOT doing contact recording and looking to be doing it seriously. And I'm sure that there are layouts and services that I would find annoying and frightening. But i'll give it a try.

Richard Scott

Established Member
It’s tough in Scotland, I want to support businesses but Sturgeon makes it clear in her tone and remarks she’d rather we kept our visits to pubs/restaurants to a minimum, tough to know what to do.
Ignore her and do what's best for you. You'll be helping economy too.

Ostrich

As it happens, we went up to the local biker cafe this morning - it's about the only one we can walk to. We had totally forgotten about the scheme, so the discount came as a welcome surprise. Full English, extra hash browns on the side, panini and 2 coffees for £9.83. :D

Pre Covid, as retirees, we used to do a fair bit of eating out. This was only our second such outing since the easing of restrictions.
Are we going to eat out as frequently as we did before? Definitely not, I'm afraid. It's certainly a different atmosphere with all the new "regulations".
Did or will the half-price offer influence us? Nope, not in any way.

MontyMinerWA

We don't normally eat out unless it's birthdays / anniversaries and nothings going to change.

mmh

Established Member
Ah yes. Unintended consequences and all that...

It should have included take away. It being "eat out" is a great example of how incompetent and out of touch they are.

Scrotnig

Have you actually been to a pub/restaurant since they reopened?? :rolleyes:

I have (a dozen times) and with one notable exception, the vast majority are nothing like you describe above.

MARK
Nope. Seen enough in the various photos and videos that various pubs have put out explaining how things will work when they reopen, presumably thinking this sort of thing will tempt people to visit. I’m afraid it has the opposite effect for me.

Smidster

Yes, I will.

I have actually just booked myself a few days away (first time out of the immediate vicinity in 5 months) in a fortnight and plumped for a Sat - Tuesday trip to be able to take advantage of the offers.

If anything as a single person it is slightly less awkward than normal - fewer interruptions from servers etc.

Trackman - Still £10 for a Burger? They normally charge £20?!!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Nope. Seen enough in the various photos and videos that various pubs have put out explaining how things will work when they reopen, presumably thinking this sort of thing will tempt people to visit. I’m afraid it has the opposite effect for me.
I went out Saturday evening, yes they had a one way system and yes they had table service only but the evening was very relaxed and enjoyable. Hopefully we can encourage you to try? If you don't enjoy it then at least you can say you tried and if you do enjoy it then great, good for your own wellbeing?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
On the lunchtime news (Radio Scotland) they interviewed a restaurant owner who said that he'd been able to open his premises during the week instead of just at weekends, and had been able to bring all his staff out of furlough because of the scheme. Clearly it's having some positive effects.

Goodness me, you really are obsessed! Do you have to bring Sturgeon into every single thread? It's not tough to know what to do at all. It's permitted to visit cafes and restaurants within the current guidelines, so if you want to eat out, do it.

carlberry

Established Member
No.

1. I'm not eating out in what resembles a nuclear waste zone, it's not enjoyable.
2. I'm not eating out when I have to be treated as a toxic infectious dangerous object
3. I'm not prepared to submit to the possibility of an arbitrary 14 day prison sentence

I'm not doing ANYTHING involving hospitality, entertainment or shops AT ALL until this hysterical nonsense is over.
It's good to have a balanced view instead of hysterical nonsense!

1. Find a place that's taken more care of it's setup.
2. Unfortunately this is a side effect of being human, it's much harder to catch disease from other animals. It's the same reason (most) pubs and restraunts have to clean glasses/plates after use.
3. Having seen the 'track and trace' sheet at a local pub last week (did anybody say GDPR!) I'd say there may be some naughty people out there using made up names and numbers. Clearly I'm not suggesting this as an option!

DB

1. Find a place that's taken more care of it's setup.

And that comes down to whether you can be bothered to research this! I'm sure I'm not the only one who really can't be bothered with the hassle.

Darandio

Established Member
And that comes down to whether you can be bothered to research this! I'm sure I'm not the only one who really can't be bothered with the hassle.

Answer for everything, solution for nothing.

Darandio

Established Member
It must be great to be as smart as you are!

I wish I had all the solutions! But it's quite frankly depressing watching you and others jumping around the various threads trying to pick apart any post you can with the constant doom and gloom view.

DB

I wish I had all the solutions! But it's quite frankly depressing watching you and others jumping around the various threads trying to pick apart any post you can with the constant doom and gloom view.

Being put off from doing things because of the endless petty restrictions and rules (which are not applied consistently) is realism rather than doom and gloom. If you want to jump through all the hoops then fine, but not all of us want to.

Darandio

Established Member
Being put off from doing things because of the endless petty restrictions and rules (which are not applied consistently) is realism rather than doom and gloom. If you want to jump through all the hoops then fine, but not all of us want to.

We know, you've told us many times. The problem here is that you are desperate to encourage others to follow suit. Like I said, depressing.

DB

We know, you've told us many times. The problem here is that you are desperate to encourage others to follow suit. Like I said, depressing.

I don't know why you've made up the idea that I am desperate to discourage others - I really don't care what others do!

6Gman

Established Member

We ate out under the scheme this afternoon. Hadn't even realised it applied until we were told the bill price! Only noticeable difference was that the tables were slightly further apart.

It did not resemble a nuclear test zone.

Scrotnig

I certainly don't want to discourage others. And any doom and gloom is restricted to myself.

I'm delighted hospitality is open and I'm delighted some people are happy with things as they are and I would encourage such people to use those venues as much as they can.

it just isn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.