• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will you be eating out to help out?

Will you be eating out to help out?

• YES - I will be eating out more often due to the scheme

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • YES - I will be eating out as much as usual, but taking advantage of the scheme

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • NO - I think it's too dangerous to eat out at the moment

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • NO - I do not normally eat out and this scheme won't encourage me

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I will be eating out but avoiding the scheme as it will make places too busy

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Don't know / undecided

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • NO - I'd like to eat out, but won't while the Covid Secure measures are in place

Votes: 19 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I miss the days when we were considered humans, with basic rights and freedoms, as opposed to viral "transmission vectors". It's feeling more and more like we're destroying the country to "save" it.
Particularly annoyed me watching her VJ Day speech this morning, where she says

Together, they ensured the freedoms we enjoy today

(https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1294544670014550016?s=21)

Ironic, the same freedoms that she has removed from us and that we clearly no longer “enjoy today”. It particularly annoys me when she talks about them like they are not to be assumed freedoms and that we should be willing and accept that they can and will be removed at short notice against our (or certainly my) will.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Today I spoke to a colleague at work who shares running a pub / restaurant in his spare time.

They chose not to participate in the scheme for a number of reasons, and based on conversations with fellow pubs in the area feel they made the right choice.

It has caused explosive demand on the nights in question, to the considerable detriment on the other nights. This has caused them problems as things like their kitchens haven’t been geared up to cope with the exploded demand, so this has caused issues with lengthy waits and running out of stock. It’s also depleted supplies for the remainder of the week, to the extent one place couldn’t offer any food at all over the weekend nights. Apparently it’s also irritated regulars, who they’d just started to find had commenced returning, now turned upside down.

Let’s hope Sunak can manage to squeeze a bit more out of the tank when it comes to restoring the economy.

Personally I’m pretty caustic about it. I’m subsidising it’s through my taxes, it’s caused considerable disruption on the nights it’s operated, yet I essentially can’t take advantage of it as I’m working on the days in question. Thanks a bunch, Rishi.

Domh245

Established Member
It has caused explosive demand on the nights in question, to the considerable detriment on the other nights. This has caused them problems as things like their kitchens haven’t been geared up to cope with the exploded demand, so this has caused issues with lengthy waits and running out of stock. It’s also depleted supplies for the remainder of the week, to the extent one place couldn’t offer any food at all over the weekend nights. Apparently it’s also irritated regulars, who they’d just started to find had commenced returning, now turned upside down.

The BBC ran an article about the pitfalls of the scheme covering several of these points!

Some restaurants and pubs are withdrawing from the Eat Out to Help Out scheme because of "hostility towards staff".

Under the scheme the government pays half of the bill on meals served from Monday to Wednesdays throughout August.

Owners says a surge in demand on these days has led to staff being shouted at, and "physical and mental stress".

In tourist-heavy areas like the South West many say the scheme is not helping at an already busy time of year.

Some say fewer customers are dining on other weekdays as a result.

The Treasury said the scheme was working.

UK Hospitality, which represents the industry, said generally the feedback had been "very positive for businesses who were staring ruin in the face".

However, The Tavern Inn in Newquay is one venue that has pulled out of the discount scheme, which is capped at £10 per diner and does not include alcoholic drinks.

Owner Kelly Hill said: "It has brought us nothing but negativity due to the huge demand, causing long waits on food, tables over-running and hostility towards our staff.

"People are ordering big, big meals; they are not willing to wait for their food; our staff are being shouted at for having no tables, or for the service being slow. It's put an awful lot of strain on our waiting staff and kitchen staff."

The Heron Inn in Truro has also opted out, saying on Facebook: "Safety is our main priority, and with the increased amount of people visiting us, it is making it difficult for us to manage with social distancing rules in place.

"We have received unpleasant comments and general unwelcome behaviour from customers when they are unable to find a table due to us having reached capacity".

The Westleigh Inn near Bideford in Devon has also withdrawn because of the "physical and mental stress it has put us and all our staff under".

Landlady Steph Dyer said that "the idea is brilliant, but just not in August. Do it in October. Everybody I have spoken to is finding it difficult to maintain standards of service".

In Crantock near Newquay, the C-Bay bistro says the scheme has led to a loss of business because people are not booking for the days when it is not running.

Owner Nina Eyles said: "In July we were full every day, but now Mondays to Wednesdays are absolutely manic and we are much quieter than normal on the other days.

"If it was in winter we would be so grateful and it would have been amazing."

The Treasury said the scheme was designed to protect jobs.

"Sales for pubs and restaurants were up by a third for the first week of the scheme, compared with the week before," it said.

bramling

Veteran Member
The BBC ran an article about the pitfalls of the scheme covering several of these points!

I do think serious questions needs to be asked about this scheme, given how much it has cost the taxpayer, and since it seems to be causing problems for many places.

Likewise I’ll no doubt be cursing Sunak when stuck in traffic driving home tomorrow night, which was the case on all three of the eat out nights last week!

I’m extremely unimpressed to have my tax wasted in this way.

DB

"Sales for pubs and restaurants were up by a third for the first week of the scheme, compared with the week before," it said.

That could be because it started in August, when people normally have holidays...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, I've been visiting pubs and restaurants on the last few saturdays and friday nights, and I'm pleased to report that they haven't been empty. Far from it. The death of traditional Friday night/Saturday hospitality at the hands of the eat out to help out scheme has been somewhat exagerated.

Smidster

The latest stats show over 35 million claims so far in the first 2 weeks.

The footfall data did show a reduction on the non deal days but apparently more than offset by traffic on the other days - an overall increase of over 30% on last year.

I had my first visit to a city in 5 months ( returning from a long weekend) and visited a favourite. Hate to disappoint but it wasn't at all dystopian - fewer people in the restaurant than normal and asked to complete a tracing form but beyond a good experience as always - main problem as always being a lone diner but even I can't blame Covid for my lack of social skills.

Journeyman

Established Member
I had lunch in a Greene King pub in Edinburgh today, and it was excellent. Ordered via app, quick and easy, pretty much no inconveniences or restrictions, and a nice meal for peanuts. Followed by half price coffee and cake in Costa. I'm going to be morbidly obese by the end of the month. :)

Meole

Extra shifts for staff on minimum wage, welcome, extra supplies required at the start of the week, welcome, more footfall in retail areas welcome, cheap opportunities for people shut up at home for months, no checks on the eating in declaration, HMRC paying all claims without challenge, so all good, no requirement to participate by either customers or retailers.

Scrotnig

I’m pleased to say I finally did it.

Stayed in a hotel for a few nights and ate at a chain pub (sat outdoors, I never went inside) for the final night of the scheme.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’m pleased to say I finally did it.

Stayed in a hotel for a few nights and ate at a chain pub (sat outdoors, I never went inside) for the final night of the scheme.
Hope you enjoyed yourself!

The final night will be next Monday however.

Scrotnig

Oh yes I forgot about Monday....won't be able to take advantage of that however.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Being a bank holiday (in England) I expect most places will be fully booked soon.
I’ve already been booked up for well over a week now, having learned my lesson in the first week :)

Even for this week, booking in the early part of last week, I really struggled to find anywhere with availability.

Tom B

Established Member
Some large chains have announced that they will offer a similar deal during September. Typically, these are more restrictive, for instance only on food or only on main courses; after all people will naturally buy a drink anyway.

BJames

Established Member
Managed to make a booking for Monday, although indeed a lot of places are getting booked up now.

I have taken advantage of the scheme most days it has been available (to be honest pretty much every day except maybe once or twice earlier in the month). I won't really bother much next month when some places do extend it, I'll settle for a few more home cooked meals and spend my money on other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.