• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wilmslow to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasTank

Hi

If I need to buy a flexible Anytime ticket, can anyone suggest any splits? I have seen that splitting at Crewe works but are there any other tricks I'm missing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
An Anytime ticket is the most expensive but most flexible ticket available. "Splitting" the journey by using more than one ticket may reduce cost, but it also reduces flexibility because in general the train(s) must stop at the station where you move from using one ticket to the next.

For a Wilmslow - London journey, this limits the usefulness of splitting because none of the weekday peak direct trains have more than 2 intermediate stops.

More detail on proposed dates, times and frequency of travel may enable us to make more specific suggestions.

RJ

Established Member
I've had a very brief look. Splitting at Goostrey, Polesworth, Rugby and Milton Keynes, you may board any* train at any time for approx £135 (didn't count up the pennies). However you'd have to travel via the WCML. If returning the same day it'd be a bit cheaper than that.

Don't think Anytime splitting can be done “dirt cheap” along this route although I'm sure someone will be alone shortly to better the price of ~£135 I gave above.

*No need to worry about where it stops.

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
There isn't really enough information in the post to be completely sure, does Anytime actually mean that travel in both directions must be at peak time? Or is it just a single?

*No need to worry about where it stops.

Are you referring to the use of a season ticket? You don't say so, but a 7-day season can do lots on that route, at least for returns. But, as you know, it can be problematic....

RJ

Established Member
Are you referring to the use of a season ticket? You don't say so, but a 7-day season can do lots on that route, at least for returns. But, as you know, it can be problematic....

I wouldn't ever advise someone to do something I wouldn't willingly do myself. I'm not sure how cheap the OP wants it, if it's an attractive price then I'll post all relevant details and health warnings in some form or another ;).

bengolding

There isn't really enough information in the post to be completely sure, does Anytime actually mean that travel in both directions must be at peak time? Or is it just a single?

That combination would definitely not be valid on the direct Virgin Train, since that only stops at Crewe at xx27 and then runs non-stop to Euston. If they OP wants a cheap Anytime option, they can either alight at Crewe and get split tickets on the xx56 VT to Euston (depending on time of day, this may stop at Nuneaton, Rugby or Milton Keynes) or the painfully slow xx49 LM (changing at Stafford).

John @ home

Established Member
Splitting at Goostrey, Polesworth, Rugby and Milton Keynes, you may board any* train at any time for approx £135.

That combination would definitely not be valid on the direct Virgin Train, since that only stops at Crewe at xx27 and then runs non-stop to Euston.

It would be a valid combination if one (and only one) of
  • Wilmslow - Goostrey
  • Goostrey - Polesworth
  • Polesworth - Rugby
  • Rugby - Milton Keynes
  • Milton Keynes - London
is a season ticket.

RJ

Established Member
That combination would definitely not be valid on the direct Virgin Train, since that only stops at Crewe at xx27 and then runs non-stop to Euston.

"Definitely" is an inappropriate word. I just listed the splitting points, I didn't say which ticket types were to be used.

Like I said, you can split at those places and still travel on a fast train for a price of roughly £135, give or take a few pounds.

pemma

Veteran Member
The cheapest flexible option for Wilmslow-London involves a 3.5 hour journey each way as follows.

Wilmslow-Crewe £8.90 Anytime Return (any operator)
OR
Stockport-Crewe £8.70 Anytime Return (VT only)

Crewe-Euston £33.00 Off Peak Return (LM only - not valid for outward journey before 07:30)
OR
Crewe-Euston £74.00 Anytime Return (LM only)

Status
Not open for further replies.