• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Winchester to Waterloo: via Surbiton a permitted route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Tulip

I have an annual season ticket from Winchester to London terminals, and I need to travel to Surbiton in a couple of weeks.

If I get an 8:06 train, then the train to Waterloo stops at Surbiton so presumably totally fine for me to get off there without paying extra.

However, on the way back, there is no direct train from Surbiton to Winchester so I'd have to change at Woking. Would my season ticket still be valid for this return journey, or would I need an extra ticket from Surbiton to Woking?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
In a word, yes.

Your ticket covers you for an unlimited amount of journeys along that route. There is no restriction on where, or how many times you break the journey in between. You also have the right to start and stop short of the stations shown on the ticket.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, that’s absolutely fine. You are permitted to make unlimited journeys and start or finish short on Any Permitted route between Winchester and London Terminals.

Surbiton is on a Permitted route between Winchester and London Terminals. Your ticket might not work the barriers - simply ask to be let through if this happens.

TEW

Established Member
As you have a season ticket you can also travel via London Waterloo if you choose, which may be quicker at some times of day.

Fat Tulip

Thanks, that's useful to know - I'll look into that for the way back as it's indirect anyway.

Is the rule about permitted route that anywhere that my direct trains to Waterloo stop at is always a permitted route? I always feel a bit confused about places in Surrey/London outskirts.

RJ

Established Member
Thanks, that's useful to know - I'll look into that for the way back as it's indirect anyway.

Is the rule about permitted route that anywhere that my direct trains to Waterloo stop at is always a permitted route? I always feel a bit confused about places in Surrey/London outskirts.

So every ticket has a set of permitted routes that the traveller is entitled to take. You can hop on and off trains along a permitted route at whichever station you like, as many times as you like. There's no limit.

Getting a full list of permitted routes you can use is hard work - you're best off asking on here. I've had a look and found the following;

Winchester - Baskingstoke - Woking - Surbiton - Waterloo
Winchester - Basingstoke - Woking - Weybridge - Staines - Richmond or Hounslow - Waterloo
Winchester - Basingstoke - Reading - Ascot - Staines - Richmond or Hounslow - Waterloo
Winchester - Basingstoke - Reading - Slough - Paddington

So if you wanted to travel between Reading and Paddington all day with your ticket, you could do that, likewise if you wanted to go back and forth between Weybridge and Richmond.

Last edited:

Fat Tulip

Thank you, that's really helpful. I've actually paid for a ticket to Staines before as I assumed I'd have to!

RJ

Established Member
No worries!

The National Rail Conditions of Travel paragraph 36.2 explains the travelling rights a season ticket grants. Section 16 explains how a ticket can actually be used. It is a test in comprehension but that paragraph 36.2 is worth a read if you've invested in a season ticket. It could save you money! http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/Conditions of Travel 2016.pdf

The National Routeing Guide is the easiest way of getting an exhaustive list of routes your ticket entitles you to take. There are step by step instructions and yes, it is genuinely as tedious and complicated as it looks to navigate it. Fortunately a fair few on here have gone to the trouble of learning to use it and will be happy to dig into it on anyone's behalf. http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It is complicated and many people think it should be simplified. However if it was simplified it would result in loss of flexibility for passengers and consequently price increases.

Kite159

Veteran Member
So every ticket has a set of permitted routes that the traveller is entitled to take. You can hop on and off trains along a permitted route at whichever station you like, as many times as you like. There's no limit.

Getting a full list of permitted routes you can use is hard work - you're best off asking on here. I've had a look and found the following;

Winchester - Baskingstoke - Woking - Surbiton - Waterloo
Winchester - Basingstoke - Woking - Weybridge - Staines - Richmond or Hounslow - Waterloo
Winchester - Basingstoke - Reading - Ascot - Staines - Richmond or Hounslow - Waterloo
Winchester - Basingstoke - Reading - Slough - Paddington

So if you wanted to travel between Reading and Paddington all day with your ticket, you could do that, likewise if you wanted to go back and forth between Weybridge and Richmond.

And I believe Winchester - Basingstoke - Reading - Staines - Waterloo is a valid route as well, if you feel the need to visit the wonders of Martins Heron or Longcross :)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And I believe Winchester - Basingstoke - Reading - Staines - Waterloo is a valid route as well, if you feel the need to visit the wonders of Martins Heron or Longcross :)
He said that one. 3rd option.

Status
Not open for further replies.