• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Windows 7.... Does it work, are the bugs fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Well with everyone going on about how rubbish Windows Vista is, Windows have fast tracked Windows 7 and said that its not going to be buggy, no not really!

If you are one of the few lucky (or unlucky) people that get to beta test new micsh*te (sorry typing error) software, you might already know what i mean.

Unfortunately ive not been able to get any screen shots atm, of the main problem but its taken on vista role very well, or this "program not responding" where as on windows 7 it just pops up whenever it wants even if the program is working fine.

Ive found this problem after only working with it for about 10 mins.

So if you think Windows 7 might be the answer the at vista's problem, think again.

Buy a Mac or download Ubuntu. :D:D:D

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 53
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Running Windows 7 as a virtual machine probably isn't the best idea, considering it won't be supported. At the same time i've always found Virtual machine performance hideous.

FusionRail

Well at least this thread should give our know-everything-about-computers 14-year-old "IT Technicians" something to veg over!

You cant expect something to be working absolutley fine in a Beta release, take a look at openBVE.

Give them a chance, building something like Windows is in no way a simple easy task. Give it time, and the official release will be good.

Why use ubuntu? Its f*cked 3 of my computers up. My belkin wireless adaptor is incompatible with it. None of my software works with it. It wont play music because i cant update it because it wont work with my wireless network. So I definately wont use Linux again.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I did think about downloading it but considering how little I use windows these days theres little point since I made the switch to mac. I did have vista installed under bootcamp but never used it tbh so got rid and freed up some hard drive space. Surely it would be better to run under bootcamp or are you not running an intel mac?

Established Member
Why use ubuntu? Its f*cked 3 of my computers up. My belkin wireless adaptor is incompatible with it. None of my software works with it. It wont play music because i cant update it because it wont work with my wireless network. So I definately wont use Linux again.

Unlike my friend, whose had almost the exact opposite :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tbh, i think it's a little illogical to rush out a new one rather than fixing the old one :/

Guinness

Established Member
not the first time this has happened of course. Windows 98 / Me/ 2000 were pretty much the same.

Good point although what are the advantages over getting Windows 7, as far as I can tell they've tweak a few "behind the scenes" gear and changed the task bar. That's it.

David

Established Member
not the first time this has happened of course. Windows 98 / Me/ 2000 were pretty much the same.

Not quite .....

Windows 98 was a newer version of Win 95, and Win ME was a newer version of Win 98. These were aimed at the home user mainly.

Windows 2000 however was a newer version of Windows NT. These were more targeted towards business users.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Good point although what are the advantages over getting Windows 7, as far as I can tell they've tweak a few "behind the scenes" gear and changed the task bar. That's it.

Their have been some reports it is much more stable than vista, personally I find vista pretty stable, much more than xp anyway. Then again anything is better than windows 9.x lol

NSEFAN

Established Member
I've been told that Windows 7 can support 256 core processors and 16Gb of RAM, and that, when installed on the same machine, 7 will run faster than Vista.

256 cores, 16Gb RAM... Seems a little... excessive? :lol:

FusionRail

It runs, it crashes, its tempramental.

Ive got Vista on Disk0 and W7 on Disk1, Vista works fine, but Windows 7 is slow and crashes alot. But saying that it is fast when its not slow :D

Im going to download all the latest x64 drivers for everything on this and try again.

Another thing is WLM takes a year to sign in then just crashes.

Other than that its quite nice!

507 001

Established Member
Its supposed too have better backwards compatibility than vista. I really don't see what the problem with vista is, I'm using it now and it hardly ever crashes.

16gb of RAM? WOW!

one thing though, i do NOT like the new taskbar. it just doesn't look as professionally designed as vista's. I hope they change it for the official release, or release some new skins.

IE8's nice though!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Windows ME and 2000 were nothing like each other. ME was basically an updated and buggy version of 98, and 2000 was NT5. So how are they "pretty much the same"?

Now if that were me I'd be blaming Belkin instead for lack of support! This guide may help - have you tried it? Anyway if you don't want to use it, that's your loss but don't go saying other people shouldn't use it just because you had a driver issue.

Andy

Yorkie......

I know you are a big linux fan, but that might of been a bit harsh :lol:

Ive got to say, we had windows 7 running in a computer in the workshop the last week and to say its suppose to be a beta nearly ready for production, we could be saying goodby to Windows, as this is there last chance to get it right.

I've got a Belkin wireless adapter and Kubuntu 8.10 recognised it and even connected to my network straight away, so there's obviously a problem somewhere Rich.

FusionRail

I've got a Belkin wireless adapter and Kubuntu 8.10 recognised it and even connected to my network straight away, so there's obviously a problem somewhere Rich.

Nope, clean istall of UBUNTU not KUBUNTU and it didnt work.. this is going back a year. Recognised that there was an adaptor present but no wireless driver support.

I think i Know what I saw Andy, i know your a BVEFailnetwork Certified computer technician of the world 1980 BC - Present, but your not always right.
Now if that were me I'd be blaming Belkin instead for lack of support! This guide may help - have you tried it? Anyway if you don't want to use it, that's your loss but don't go saying other people shouldn't use it just because you had a driver issue.

I tried that months ago but it failed like BVERN, and the computer is broken now as GRUB took over both hard disks andso if you take one out it wont boot, wont let you start windows, even after "formatting" them it wouldnt let you install windows, and after a day like that just sat on the HP screen.

Nope, clean istall of UBUNTU not KUBUNTU and it didnt work.. this is going back a year. Recognised that there was an adaptor present but no wireless driver support.

I think i Know what I saw Andy, i know your a BVEFailnetwork Certified computer technician of the world 1980 BC - Present, but your not always right.

I tried that months ago but it failed like BVERN, and the computer is broken now as GRUB took over both hard disks andso if you take one out it wont boot, wont let you start windows, even after "formatting" them it wouldnt let you install windows, and after a day like that just sat on the HP screen.
My name isn't Andy, get your facts right before posting! ;)

And as for GRUB still being there, try a little app called MBRFIX, follow the instructions and your PC will be GRUB free in a matter of milliseconds.

FusionRail

My name isn't Andy, get your facts right before posting! ;)

And as for GRUB still being there, try a little app called MBRFIX, follow the instructions and your PC will be GRUB free in a matter of milliseconds.

I was getting my BVERN members mixed up :|

I was in a bit of a major mood when i posted that anyway, i do apologise.

Does that app run with like a computer that gets to grub and then just stops there coz it cant boot into XP or Ubuntu?

Craig

Established Member

Have a rummage through the Network Rail skips, you mind find one that works ;)

I was getting my BVERN members mixed up :|

I was in a bit of a major mood when i posted that anyway, i do apologise.

Does that app run with like a computer that gets to grub and then just stops there coz it cant boot into XP or Ubuntu?

You need to be in Windows in order to run the application.

FusionRail

Its supposed too have better backwards compatibility than vista. I really don't see what the problem with vista is, I'm using it now and it hardly ever crashes.

16gb of RAM? WOW!

one thing though, i do NOT like the new taskbar. it just doesn't look as professionally designed as vista's. I hope they change it for the official release, or release some new skins.

IE8's nice though!

The taskbar is actually very nice when you have the o/s running, and remember it is supposed to be a touchscreen compatible operating system, so that has been taken into the design of the taskbar.

Andy

No matter what people think about Windows 7 or Vista, its been said in the IT Technician world, that if they don't sort the problem with the release of Windows 7 that many people are going to stop supporting Windows. Also word about (whick i don't think is ture), is that if Windows don't get it right and make big sales they will be going into administration.

Well this make a good them look really good, ive spent all morning at work on...

Ive given up after 12 tried, ive tried everything....

BRILLIANT WINDOWS S*****!! :lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 20

mbonwick

Established Member
I can't buy either of those arguments. There's a big difference in compatability between Mac, Linux and PC.

MS are a huge company, I can't see them going into administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.