• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
196101 has swapped with 196107 at Worcester Depot today. 196107 has gone back to Tyseley Depot.

196012 and 196008 are now at Tyseley after working 5Q66 from Donnington Rail Freight Terminal today. (15/2/22)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprinter107

196101 has swapped with 196107 at Worcester Depot today. 196107 has gone back to Tyseley Depot.

196012 and 196008 are now at Tyseley after working 5Q66 from Donnington Rail Freight Terminal today. (15/2/22)
196107 is still at Worcester

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Latest from fleet is that 1 unit has just had it's door panels fitted with 2 more in progress.
The rest are to follow whilst training takes place.

Train crew training has been agreed and will start soon.

Units to enter service in May

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Latest from fleet is that 1 unit has just had it's door panels fitted with 2 more in progress.

This is brilliant news! Thank you for the update.

QSK19

Here’s hoping that, from EMR’s perspective, the 170/5 cascade isn’t another “360-gate” or “ex-LNER-gate” - as in, where the previous TOC ran them into the ground and EMR & their passengers are forced to use cascaded trains in poor condition. I get the feeling, though, that the 170/5s are in better shape than the 360s or ex-LNER HSTs.

In any case, back OT, the 196 introduction will be very good timing ahead of the Commonwealth Games. I just hope that WMR look after the 196s well given that they’re bound to be moving to the East Midlands in 15-20 years’ time! :lol:

12guard4

I think May is optimistic. They want May but they're so so far behind. So many issues still not resolved with them.

I think they'll be dripped in very very slowly.

newtownmgr

I think May is optimistic. They want May but they're so so far behind. So many issues still not resolved with them.

I think they'll be dripped in very very slowly.
If training had started in Jan then April was the target for introducing one a week. We are now 2 months behind. So would be very late May at the earliest. Worcester was supposed to start training in March. Believe that won’t be until May/June.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation

Brilliant news

DavidGrain

Established Member
In any case, back OT, the 196 introduction will be very good timing ahead of the Commonwealth Games.
But will the 196s even if they are ready have any relevance in the Commonwealth Games being as the stations at Perry Barr and University are predominantly served by electric trains?

QSK19

But will the 196s even if they are ready have any relevance in the Commonwealth Games being as the stations at Perry Barr and University are predominantly served by electric trains?
Marketing purposes as an example maybe? WMR investing in and launching shiny new trains in time for the Games (whilst keeping quiet on the fact they’re DMUs).

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Not all of the events are based at these areas, having new trains running into New St especially if branded for the games

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not all of the events are based at these areas, having new trains running into New St especially if branded for the games

I think having them ready, even if they don't actually serve Perry Barr for the big events (I must check the exact location of the athletics events I'm going to, mental note made), will do WMR the world of good from a marketing point of view.

Something along the lines of 'look at our shiny new trains, more of them are coming soon' and actually give the passengers of the Midlands something to be happy and proud about.

Of course, having them in service during the Games might help push other trains into availability for crowd-busting purposes too. I'm not too sure on how that might work though, certainly not so much within Birmingham but on the longer distance services from places like Hereford, Shrewsbury and such like the 196s could come in handy for additional/extended services?

No matter what they end up on during the Games, they will be happily welcomed here and I am already planning a day out on a West Midlands Day Ranger to travel on some :D

QSK19

So, the Games is the way to unlock getting new trains... Leicester or Nottingham need to bid to be the host city in, say, 2030 and then the East Midlands can get some shiny new bi-modes :lol:

12guard4

A lot being made about the commonwealth games. There may be a handful of units in service by then and that will be an achievement.

There will almost certainly be teething problems considering how difficult it has been to get them anywhere close to being ready for service due to a long list of significant issues.

When they do come in they'll be replacing the 170s on the Shrewsbury line and it may well be a 1 in 1 out situation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given that these (and TfW's 197s) are basically just a 195 under the hood with a slightly different body, what "new stuff" is coming up that didn't come up and get fixed during Northern's implementation and since?

It seems strange that when you build more of basically the same you get more, different issues.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
A lot being made about the commonwealth games. There may be a handful of units in service by then and that will be an achievement.

There will almost certainly be teething problems considering how difficult it has been to get them anywhere close to being ready for service due to a long list of significant issues.

When they do come in they'll be replacing the 170s on the Shrewsbury line and it may well be a 1 in 1 out situation.
And the Birmingham to Hereford line as well. Hopefully this May June ish time we may see them enter service.

wobman

On Moderation
Given that these (and TfW's 197s) are basically just a 195 under the hood with a slightly different body, what "new stuff" is coming up that didn't come up and get fixed during Northern's implementation and since?

It seems strange that when you build more of basically the same you get more, different issues.
What could possibly go wrong when you build the parts for a train in Spain, then assemble it in Newport.
Then dismantle it and take it by road to Donnington and then reassemble it all to drag it to crewe.......

It's obviously works so well by the huge amount of faults the caf civicity units are experiencing on testing and mileage accumulation runs. Never mind the difference in cabs and bulkhead / gangway doors areas between the 195s and the 196/197 units.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
And the Birmingham to Hereford line as well. Hopefully this May June ish time we may see them enter service.
Hereford line won't be before the Summer, initial units are for Shrewsbury line. Worcester drivers have been involved in getting mileage in for the units though so hopefully there's enough units to filter out to Hereford line soon after

QSK19

You obviously know something we don't !!
Are the 172/2 and 172/3 any kind of indicator ?
I wish I had Mystic Meg’s crystal ball to accurately predict 15-20 years’ time; but alas I don’t. Wouldn’t be surprised at all though if the 196s do jump over to the East Midlands once the 170s are life-expired and the West Midlands gets bi-mode successors. But, as we all know, the 196s actually need to start operating at WMR first, whenever that may be! 8-)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
All that matters, right now, surely is that they are coming soon. I know we have had a long wait, and I know I was looking forward to them as 2019 ended, but the world is what it is. As the saying goes, good things come to those who wait!

Now whether 196s count as 'good things' is subjective! I am well excited for them, my first journey on them is eagerly anticipated! Hopefully when I have to go with the family to Birmingham in the summer, we will get a 196 and that they will be suitably impressed. They're very much not train people, so this will be interesting.

Like I say, all that matters is that they enter service and we all get to make our opinions. Bring them on! :D

Liam L

Thought it was the Shrewsbury first to release the remaining 170s to EMR?

i imagine the Hereford 170 diagram would follow around the same time when their enough 196s.