• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

diffident

Thanks for clarifying.

196102 has just failed fouling the points at New Street. Blocking a number of north end platforms whilst attempting to release brakes after systems deployed emergency brakes for a supposed pass comm. Train crew searched entire train, no pass Comms activated.

That constitutes a "whoops". And a new issue not previously described, if I'm not mistaken?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
There goes the Stour....
Thankfully they managed to get it back into 4c by 21.30 (was the 21.01 service) so not had a major impact.

That constitutes a "whoops". And a new issue not previously described, if I'm not mistaken?
I guess it could happen on many tractions in fairness, I very nearly had to fail a 350 a few weeks ago because the onboard computer couldn't communicate with any of the safety systems! Full reset and pan down did the trick.

Just unfortunate tha it was half off the platform at a major station at the time.

GalaxyDog

Thankfully they managed to get it back into 4c by 21.30 (was the 21.01 service) so not had a major impact.

I guess it could happen on many tractions in fairness, I very nearly had to fail a 350 a few weeks ago because the onboard computer couldn't communicate with any of the safety systems! Full reset and pan down did the trick.

Just unfortunate tha it was half off the platform at a major station at the time.
Thank you for that update. :) Half an hour not bad but considering this is Birmingham New Street, there will be quite a few trains delayed by this I suspect? Suspect the 2203 departure will be mopping up everyone who wnated stations beyond Wolverhampton.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Thank you for that update. :) Half an hour not bad but considering this is Birmingham New Street, there will be quite a few trains delayed by this I suspect? Suspect the 2203 departure will be mopping up everyone who wnated stations beyond Wolverhampton.
Time of day has helped I think, a few trains delayed but nothing too bad. Trains waiting on the tunnel but that's nothing new anyway. Would imagine the 03 would be fairly busy, the 2136 arrived and left late and moderately busy.

Last edited by a moderator:

diffident

Would make sense, screens showed Empty to Depot when I departed. Try again tomorrow eh

Looks like something is happening, it went for a tour of Soho depot, and is now in P4 at BHM!

Edit: scratch that, it's gone straight through, so goodness knows where its going.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Looks like something is happening, it went for a tour of Soho depot, and is now in P4 at BHM!

Edit: scratch that, it's gone straight through, so goodness knows where its going.
Tyseley I'd have thought, Proof House and round to Bordesley.
I was thinking it's a pain being in 4c as it can't go south without a shunt

Sprinter107

At one stage London Midland had a rule that both traincrew must be present if passengers are on a train. I have no idea if it's still the rule, but it definitely was - I got told about it when complaining about being left standing around at Euston for a lengthy period.

I do know drivers no longer let people on without a guard (they used to on the early morning Bletchley starters) but my recollection is that it was stricter than that.
I've never heard that rule ever, that both train crew must be present if passengers are on board, and I worked for London Midland. Drivers were not allowed to open the doors to let passengers on if the guard wasn't there, and the doors were locked, a rule that still stands with West Midlands, but that's about all.

01d-and

By original ramps, do you mean the ones that were at the stations before (ie: built for class 170s) or new ones built for class 196s? If the latter, then someone really should get fired...
I know it was decided that it was the onboard ramps that were being discussed but on a visit to my local station earlier today, I checked and found there to be two different size ramps on the platforms with space for a third ramp.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I know it was decided that it was the onboard ramps that were being discussed but on a visit to my local station earlier today, I checked and found there to be two different size ramps on the platforms with space for a third ramp.
Yes, they are being rolled out to stations. Should be a separate ramp for each traction type. Would be interested in knowing if the station ones come with the bridge section attached or not

Undiscovered

Yes, they are being rolled out to stations. Should be a separate ramp for each traction type. Would be interested in knowing if the station ones come with the bridge section attached or not
I don't think they will. The angle of the extra extension would make it impossible to fold them up successfully. Far easier to deploy a standard ramp to all and the extra just to those who need it.

Last edited:

Unsure if this has slipped by but the first two car 196 has now appeared at Salop on the form of 196012!

Don't believe it's been used in passenger service yet but is at the wolvo end of Shrewsbury Abbey Foregate CS

Liam L

Hello, I'm looking to (finally :lol:) have a turn of trying out a 196 next week.

Anyone got know the weekday diagrams for them at the moment (if they are the same every day) so I can start planning as I want to tick off some stations between WVH and SHR.

Thanks in advance

GalaxyDog

I am told that they are supposed to be providing the majority of WMR Shrewsbury to Birmingham services. However, as they have not been the greatest, it's bene majority 170 and 2-car 170 runs. A couple of folks on the inside inform me that they are still regularly breaking down.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I am told that they are supposed to be providing the majority of WMR Shrewsbury to Birmingham services. However, as they have not been the greatest, it's bene majority 170 and 2-car 170 runs. A couple of folks on the inside inform me that they are still regularly breaking down.
Indeed, as has been reported on this thread multiple times since introduction. Certainly not a smooth start to life.

Mixture of faults still.

Undiscovered

Hello, I'm looking to (finally :lol:) have a turn of trying out a 196 next week.

Anyone got know the weekday diagrams for them at the moment (if they are the same every day) so I can start planning as I want to tick off some stations between WVH and SHR.

Thanks in advance
If you want to ride a 196, I'd find somewhere with a nice warm cafe and set aside most of the day for your trip. It's pot luck as to what unit, if any, will arrive for service.

anamyd

On Moderation
I was planning to ride on my first 196 around now (December 2022) but since I found out about their many faults and unreliability (and sharp edges on bins and ramps that have caused injuries/cuts) I now don't understand how they're allowed to be in service in such a state.

I'm now not planning to ride on my first 196 until April 2023 (Shrewsbury-Birmingham), as surely by then the units will have been made fully safe and reliable. They're going to have to be, as yesterday (3/12/22) I saw a WMR train at Shrewsbury and it was 170505 on its own.

Undiscovered

im now not planning to ride on my first 196 until April 2023 (Shrewsbury-Birmingham), as surely by then the units will have been made fully safe and reliable.
Maybe... maybe not.
It is really a lottery at the moment regarding 196s.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yesterday the Shrewsbury trains that I spotted was 196107, a single 170 & a pair of 170s.

I dread to think how bad that 2 coach 170 would have been due to the Christmas markets. Especially with a few TfW services only being a single 158.

Liam L

I dread to think how bad that 2 coach 170 would have been due to the Christmas markets. Especially with a few TfW services only being a single 158.
With one 170 leaving for EMR on a weekly basis currently, I think single 170s will become a more regular sight

Undiscovered

With one 170 leaving for EMR on a weekly basis currently, I think single 170s will become a more regular sight
Cancellations will become more regular.
The 170 fleet has had a lot of maintenance issues fudged and postponed as they're going to EMR.
Cab heating issues can be avoided by 'burying' them on the middle of a formation, so the driver can be warm and dry while the guard gets wet and cold.
Toilets can be locked out on 2x2 as there's a toilet on the other set. Get rid of the other set and- no toilets!
Just because a 2x2 is running, it doesn't mean that splitting it will create 2 functioning 170s. There's good reason why you'll not see certain units running around alone.