• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

susheelbhutta

As in, towards the end of 2023?
I believe so yeh, my last update was similar to PC2TD (looks like we’re both in a similar position having completed the DMI and awaiting medical).

But the update we had yesterday stated that they were waiting to confirm their headcount requirements for 2023 and that we’d maybe hear something by way of an update as we approach the summer.

JJ4

I believe so yeh, my last update was similar to PC2TD (looks like we’re both in a similar position having completed the DMI and awaiting medical).

But the update we had yesterday stated that they were waiting to confirm their headcount requirements for 2023 and that we’d maybe hear something by way of an update as we approach the summer.
That's a sickener tbh. Think I'm just going to forget about it for now then. I'll worry about it when (if) I hear anything.

JimClark

This makes sense as you are slightly further on in the process Im waiting to do DMI and they indicated later in the year for my situation

Ladder23

Established Member
Check emails all, just confirmed my DMI.

Nerves have kicked in again now!

JJ4

Check emails all, just confirmed my DMI.

Nerves have kicked in again now!
Congratulations pal, that’s great news! Do you mind me asking when you passed your Psychometric assessments and how long you have been given to prepare for the DMI? Fingers crossed for you

JimClark

Congratulations pal, that’s great news! Do you mind me asking when you passed your Psychometric assessments and how long you have been given to prepare for the DMI? Fingers crossed for you
I think with cross country they do the DMI first then assesments follow, which is the opposite way around to how TOCs like west midland trains process works

Ladder23

Established Member
Ah that was all back in the summer in Birmingham! Long old day that was.. I've selected a date at the start of March, there was only x2 slots available at the time when I selected!

Ladder23

Established Member
I was a little too hasty with booking a time slot - it's a error! It's a booking for the assessments I have already completed/ passed. I have responded to say there is a error, sorry to make everyone check emails!

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Hi guys I’m new to this forum and i just wanted to ask when West Midlands Trains will be recruiting for trainee train drivers?

Thanks.

LCC106

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. You may be best contacting the company yourself to ask. I would check their career website daily, since even if companies have an alert system they don’t always work. Once you see the job advert, apply asap as they can pull vacancies before the deadline if they are oversubscribed.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Hi everyone I know this might not be the right place to ask but just wanted to ask have West Midlands Trains completed their backlog of trainee drivers that happened due to Covid 19 and are people still in the talent pool and at various stages of this process?

Thanks.

susheelbhutta

Hi everyone I know this might not be the right place to ask but just wanted to ask have West Midlands Trains completed their backlog of trainee drivers that happened due to Covid 19 and are people still in the talent pool and at various stages of this process?

Thanks.
Hi, I did my driver manager interview back in April 2022, and was then told to provide holiday and station preferences and my notice period for my current role.

Since then still waiting, I had correspondence a few weeks back that they were awaiting start dates at various stations and that we would hear something soon.

So I would say there are still people who passed during covid who are still awaiting start dates as I am one of those people.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Are West Midlands Trains going to be recruiting again at any time for trainee train drivers across all depots if there is still a backlog of trainees and people waiting for start dates but also people waiting in talent pools?

Thanks.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Are West Midlands Trains going to be recruiting again at any time for trainee train drivers across all depots if there is still a backlog of trainees and people waiting for start dates but also people waiting in talent pools?

Thanks.
There will be future adverts for most depots, all TOC's have an ageing complement of drivers which are approaching retirement. There is still backlog from 2021 at a few depots but most have also done more recruitment recently

dereksingh291

On Moderation
There will be future adverts for most depots, all TOC's have an ageing complement of drivers which are approaching retirement. There is still backlog from 2021 at a few depots but most have also done more recruitment recently
what depots still have the backlog from 2021?

Ladder23

Established Member
I’ve emailed with some questions to wmt but had no response with regards to my progress, does anyone have a better contact?

susheelbhutta

I’d just email the recruitment mailbox, I normally get a reply within a few days from them. If you get any updates let us know, would be nice to hear what they are saying about potential start timeframes.

Slimjim101

Also still waiting. Everything done here inc medical. Was given a start date last year that was pulled last minute. Just waiting patiently as not much more that can be done. I do hope they start to give updates soon, it's not great with the total lack of info/updates. In a job that I've been waiting to leave for ages now. Been tempted to apply for other jobs but don't want to start then get told a week later, 'oh we need you now'.

PC2TD

Also still waiting. Everything done here inc medical. Was given a start date last year that was pulled last minute. Just waiting patiently as not much more that can be done. I do hope they start to give updates soon, it's not great with the total lack of info/updates. In a job that I've been waiting to leave for ages now. Been tempted to apply for other jobs but don't want to start then get told a week later, 'oh we need you now'.
Same boat as you workwise mate, dont want ro start somewhere else and then be called for a start date. At least you got your medical done and start date - I was waiting on both.
I'll give it a few more weeks and if none of us hear anything, I'll send them another email and see if there's any news.

Slimjim101

Same boat as you workwise mate, dont want ro start somewhere else and then be called for a start date. At least you got your medical done and start date - I was waiting on both.
I'll give it a few more weeks and if none of us hear anything, I'll send them another email and see if there's any news.
Yeah, I think it's reasonable after a few more weeks to ask if they have any updates. Hopefully now they have caught up on backlogs and had time to plan the staffing numbers going forward.

Yeah, I think it's reasonable after a few more weeks to ask if they have any updates. Hopefully now they have caught up on backlogs and had time to plan the staffing numbers going forward.
I am also awaiting medical and start date. I was informed a few months ago that they were due to do a headcount then I would get an update just before Summer with a possible start date for later in the year. Have heard nothing since

Slimjim101

I imagine there's a lot of people to keep on top of but they would certainly benefit from some more regular updates, even if to just say, 'we're no further forward'. Seems like everyone's been given the same response though, fingers crossed we all get some good news soon.