• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Any reason why West Midlands Trains haven’t been recruiting for trainee train drivers since June 2020 cos that’s when I applied but wasn’t successful after failing the video interview?
Mostly covid backlog. Delayed training for well over a year

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy4052

Hi, Im still in the process of waiting for my DMI for B'ham Snow Hill & New Street. I past my assessments with the OPC in April 2021. I have been emailing WMT's every 6 mounths for an update just to be told they are waiting for location & course updates and will be intouch once these have been confirmed.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Mostly covid backlog. Delayed training for well over a year
has the covid backlog and the delayed training been sorted out yet?

Hi, Im still in the process of waiting for my DMI for B'ham Snow Hill & New Street. I past my assessments with the OPC in April 2021. I have been emailing WMT's every 6 mounths for an update just to be told they are waiting for location & course updates and will be intouch once these have been confirmed.
did you apply back in june 2020 when it was the covid-19 pandemic?

stXeve

No backlog at new street. Backlog still at snow hill depots. Earlier comment about talent pools not being used isn't correct as courses currently being filled from people who applied a couple of years ago.

No backlog at new street. Backlog still at snow hill depots. Earlier comment about talent pools not being used isn't correct as courses currently being filled from people who applied a couple of years ago.

Interesting! Applied March 2020, completed OPC Feb 2022, passed DMI April 2022, gave New St as no1 choice depot, still awaiting course start date Nov 2023

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Then why is one of my colleagues still stood down at home awaiting handling hours at New St, did rules in 2021. Was recruited in 2020 when I also applied. Clearly there are still some backlogged

stXeve

Then why is one of my colleagues still stood down at home awaiting handling hours at New St, did rules in 2021. Was recruited in 2020 when I also applied. Clearly there are still some ?
Not for New Street or they've forgotten they are employed. There's not a backlog at New Street I know this to be 100% true.

Interesting! Applied March 2020, completed OPC Feb 2022, passed DMI April 2022, gave New St as no1 choice depot, still awaiting course start date Nov 2023
You're not alone, I'm sure they'll get round to you next year

Ladder23

Established Member
Any idea about Bletchley if there is a backlog? That's where I have chosen!

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Are West Midlands Trains going to be recruiting for Trainee Train Drivers again in the future for all of its depots once all the 196s and 730s have been delivered but also after the guard and driver training have been completed on the 196s and 730s?

stXeve

Are West Midlands Trains going to be recruiting for Trainee Train Drivers again in the future for all of its depots once all the 196s and 730s have been delivered but also after the guard and driver training have been completed on the 196s and 730s?
Doing so now the new trains aren't really a factor in it.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
any idea when West Midlands Trains will be recruiting for trainee train drivers again for all of its depots including Birmingham?
I swear you've asked this about 5 times already. They will pop up whan they pop up.

They've just launched a recruitment for qualified drivers, so once that is done, there will likely be more trainee positions, certainly a lot of drivers coming up to retirement age....

dereksingh291

On Moderation
I swear you've asked this about 5 times already. They will pop up whan they pop up.

They've just launched a recruitment for qualified drivers, so once that is done, there will likely be more trainee positions, certainly a lot of drivers coming up to retirement age....
yes thats why i am so eager to be a driver for West Midlands Trains at their Birmingham depot so at the moment are there still lots of people waiting for their assessments, interviews and courses but also are there still lots of people waiting in the talent pool before and after covid and are there any trainee drivers before and after covid getting trained up

stXeve

yes thats why i am so eager to be a driver for West Midlands Trains at their Birmingham depot so at the moment are there still lots of people waiting for their assessments, interviews and courses but also are there still lots of people waiting in the talent pool before and after covid and are there any trainee drivers before and after covid getting trained up
That's already answered as well. There are courses taking place now for new trainees

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Hi guys I am interested in becoming a trainee train driver for WMT based in Birmingham, any idea when WMT will be recruiting for trainee train drivers for all of its depots again and has the training backlog been sorted out but also are people waiting in the talent pool for driver assessments, interviews and courses?

AndySV1K

Hi guys I am interested in becoming a trainee train driver for WMT based in Birmingham, any idea when WMT will be recruiting for trainee train drivers for all of its depots again and has the training backlog been sorted out but also are people waiting in the talent pool for driver assessments, interviews and courses?

I'm not really sure that anyone would know when job openings are coming up. I'd advise that you go onto the websites and have a look at vacancies. Most TOC's you can set up email alerts so you get notifications of when new positions are available. You can also do the same with google jobs.

LCC106

Established Member
I also advise checking the website daily as the alerts don’t always work.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Hi guys just wanted to ask about the trainee train driver positions with West Midlands Trains, does the classroom training take place in Birmingham and the practical handling at your depot depending on which one you go for and are West Midlands Trains recruiting for trainee train drivers again for all of its depots soon?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Hi guys just wanted to ask about the trainee train driver positions with West Midlands Trains, does the classroom training take place in Birmingham and the practical handling at your depot depending on which one you go for and are West Midlands Trains recruiting for trainee train drivers again for all of its depots soon?
Yes, rules are done at the Academy in Birmingham, all the bits after are at your assigned depot. You've asked many times regarding future recruitment, nobody on here knows exactly when or for which depots. Check WMT's careers page daily is the only thing you can do

AndySV1K

Just as a quick update to this thread. I applied back in 2020. It went quiet for a long time but late last year started to move forward again and this week managed to get a job offer! I'm really pleased that i've managed to progress and really looking forward to starting the training.

I still have the medical to go through but I generally have very good health so fingers crossed that will be a formality. I wanted to post in here in case anyone else is still in waiting from this round of recruitment.

Also big thank you to all of the forum members and staff for this really useful resource, without it I would have been completely in the dark about the recruitment process and it would have made it much much harder.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Just as a quick update to this thread. I applied back in 2020. It went quiet for a long time but late last year started to move forward again and this week managed to get a job offer! I'm really pleased that i've managed to progress and really looking forward to starting the training.

I still have the medical to go through but I generally have very good health so fingers crossed that will be a formality. I wanted to post in here in case anyone else is still in waiting from this round of recruitment.

Also big thank you to all of the forum members and staff for this really useful resource, without it I would have been completely in the dark about the recruitment process and it would have made it much much harder.
What depot will you be going for?

AndySV1K

I’m not sure whether it’s a backlog or just simply the normal process of working their way through the talent pool. There’s probably a very plentiful supply of candidates to choose from and I know when I did OPC assessments there were people there from later recruitment applications.

Rick Steam

Thanks for posting an update on your situation and congrats on getting through.
I also applied in 2020, sat the OPC in 2022 and now just have the DMI still to do. Had you already done your DMI by the time things started moving?

AndySV1K

Thanks for posting an update on your situation and congrats on getting through.
I also applied in 2020, sat the OPC in 2022 and now just have the DMI still to do. Had you already done your DMI by the time things started moving?
Thanks Rick, much appreciated.

DMI was last week. Just the medical to go so hopefully it’s all systems go after that.