• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

JJ4

Thank you Baz ,will take all this on board and make sure (hopefully) I’m ready on the day. I’m hitting about 10 lines at mo on the bourdon group with no errors, or one missed now and again. So I’ve gotta bring that up a bit. I don’t know what enhanced level is. But I’ll keep practicing. Thanks
Not sure if it's helpful Slinky, but I managed to count that I got at least 12 rows down on each set of dots before my test was collected and I passed. The test was far easier than the practice materials, the dots are more evenly spaced out and most of them are in the shape of a square. I was getting 11-13 down on Group Bourdon test off of this forum so I imagine you're not a million miles off. Good luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joshua12

I also have my Day 1 coming up. Can I just ask a couple of questions for those that have been through the process.
I've heard the Tee-Occ tones and directory is a case of ticking any double symbols and I shouldn't concentrate on looking at the telephone numbers etc? Can someone confirm if this is true?

Also if you pass the Day 1 assessment, how long is the wait until the second day of assessments?
I'm just trying to judge if I should solely be practicing for the Day 1 assessment or if it's worth also prepping for the Day 2 if they're quite close together?

Thanks all

BAZ7369

I also have my Day 1 coming up. Can I just ask a couple of questions for those that have been through the process.
I've heard the Tee-Occ tones and directory is a case of ticking any double symbols and I shouldn't concentrate on looking at the telephone numbers etc? Can someone confirm if this is true?

Also if you pass the Day 1 assessment, how long is the wait until the second day of assessments?
I'm just trying to judge if I should solely be practicing for the Day 1 assessment or if it's worth also prepping for the Day 2 if they're quite close together?

Thanks all
Hi Joshua. Please don’t take offence, but I would suggest that the level of detail you’re asking for would be giving too much away. Take the opportunity before that test commences to look at the paper and ask the invigilator any specific questions if the instructions still remain unclear. I suspect that once you’ve seen the paper, this won’t be the case.
My 2 test days were either side of Christmas, a couple of months apart. Personally I chose to focus on the two groups of tests separately.

best of luck.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

Thanks all
Just focus on day 1 for now, that's what they are wanting. Day 2 can be anything from 3 weeks onwards, but usually around 4-6 weeks.

Don't look for shortcuts with the tests, do what it tells you to do and you shouldn't go wrong. If you listen closely, you'll know what to do anyway.

JohntyRogers

Thanks all
Plenty of space between the two days, there was for us anyway. At least four weeks.

Yes, you only mark the double symbols, personally I only looked for double symbols and finished the test. The people i knew who double checked numbers etc struggled and failed. It slowed them down. All you have to do is look for the double symbols, and that's any double symbols, they do give you a card at the beginning saying look for these double symbols, however there are not any other double symbols on it. So dont worry about the key card, don't worry about the phone numbers or sector's, just mark the double symbols. It's my belief that because many people know this and do indeed do this, they fly the test. The problem is, for the folk who choose to double check everything they look significantly slower and stand a much higher chance of failing as a result of not being as fast, as was the case for a couple I met.

Good luck

Joshua12

Plenty of space between the two days, there was for us anyway. At least four weeks.

Yes, you only mark the double symbols, personally I only looked for double symbols and finished the test. The people i knew who double checked numbers etc struggled and failed. It slowed them down. All you have to do is look for the double symbols, and that's any double symbols, they do give you a card at the beginning saying look for these double symbols, however there are not any other double symbols on it. So dont worry about the key card, don't worry about the phone numbers or sector's, just mark the double symbols. It's my belief that because many people know this and do indeed do this, they fly the test. The problem is, for the folk who choose to double check everything they look significantly slower and stand a much higher chance of failing as a result of not being as fast, as was the case for a couple I met.

Good luck
Thanks for clarifying. I had seen something similar mentioned in a thread previosuly and with so much on the line I didn't want to blindly follow advise that might not be accurate. I'll be sure to ask all the right questions on the day. I think I'll just focus on Day 1 for now then, as there seems to be plenty of time between assessments.
I'm most worried about the ATAVT test on day 2. I've downloaded some practice software and seem to be pretty useless! I don't think you can really improve much on that either

JohntyRogers

Thanks for clarifying. I had seen something similar mentioned in a thread previosuly and with so much on the line I didn't want to blindly follow advise that might not be accurate. I'll be sure to ask all the right questions on the day. I think I'll just focus on Day 1 for now then, as there seems to be plenty of time between assessments.
I'm most worried about the ATAVT test on day 2. I've downloaded some practice software and seem to be pretty useless! I don't think you can really improve much on that either
I used software to practice the ATAVT, I used every piece of software and if I am honest the tests were mostly a doddle. However, I practiced practiced and practiced.

Which software do you have for it, one of them is complete waste of time I found, the ones from howtobecome were not representative of the tests in the least. The other company selling tests are pretty damn close to the real things (i forgot their name but you probably found them). I started the ATAVT getting aweful scores and thought i will never get through this, however, by the end agter about 300 practices, I was nailing them all. It was weird, i sort of found a groove and my peripherals started spoting everything almost automatically.

My advice is practice as much as you absolutely can, don't take chances. There is a lot of debate in here about practicing and inate ability. However, the problem as I see it, is lots of people will practice like mad and as a result will score better, due to this the standard to pass enhanced will inevitably rise, therefore the result is if you don't practice you are at a disadvantage. At least that's how I saw it anyway.

Joshua12

I used software to practice the ATAVT, I used every piece of software and if I am honest the tests were mostly a doddle. However, I practiced practiced and practiced.

Which software do you have for it, one of them is complete waste of time I found, the ones from howtobecome were not representative of the tests in the least. The other company selling tests are pretty damn close to the real things (i forgot their name but you probably found them). I started the ATAVT getting aweful scores and thought i will never get through this, however, by the end agter about 300 practices, I was nailing them all. It was weird, i sort of found a groove and my peripherals started spoting everything almost automatically.

My advice is practice as much as you absolutely can, don't take chances. There is a lot of debate in here about practicing and inate ability. However, the problem as I see it, is lots of people will practice like mad and as a result will score better, due to this the standard to pass enhanced will inevitably rise, therefore the result is if you don't practice you are at a disadvantage. At least that's how I saw it anyway.
I think that is sound advise. I can only see it helping and won't do any harm.

I used traineetraindriverinfo to download the ATAVT test. Trouble is I'm now beginning to know the images. I imagine it's very similar to the test, but struggling to improve much. It's a worry that I'd have to pass to enhanced standard too. If you have any other web-sites you recommend it would be helpful.

Did you find the images were similar to the software or less congested? Some of the images have everything you need to tick. Is that similar? I was hoping they might be slightly easier on the day

JohntyRogers

I think that is sound advise. I can only see it helping and won't do any harm.

I used traineetraindriverinfo to download the ATAVT test. Trouble is I'm now beginning to know the images. I imagine it's very similar to the test, but struggling to improve much. It's a worry that I'd have to pass to enhanced standard too. If you have any other web-sites you recommend it would be helpful.

Did you find the images were similar to the software or less congested? Some of the images have everything you need to tick. Is that similar? I was hoping they might be slightly easier on the day
Yes that's the software I had. Yes quite similar. One thing I didn't expect on the real test, some images linger for a second or more, then the timer mixes up and you only get half a second on some.

Yes some images had everything in, a few if i remember had. To avoid learning the images on the software I would only do it a few times, then again the next day or later in the evening again. There is a practice section on the software which is what's always did, then discovered if you did the tests there was a whole bank of new images, I never looked at the answers for them as to avoid learning them.

It is a hard test no doubt, but that software does get you in the feel of it for sure. I found myself taking educated guesses on the real opc test though at times, for example, if it was a main road with loads of cars and people chances are there was a traffic light etc... a stratagy i did use which seemed to help was to look for the thing i missed the most, and by looking around for that particular thing my peripherals picked up the other easier things like cars, or at least that was my grand plan, Seemed to work for me. The only problem on the day, you dont tick the things on the screen, instead to press the corresponding numbered buttons on their special werid keyboard, doesn't sound a big deal but you have to carry the memory of what you saw whilst working out which button corresponds to which item. That almost scuppered me.

Slinky252

Not sure if it's helpful Slinky, but I managed to count that I got at least 12 rows down on each set of dots before my test was collected and I passed. The test was far easier than the practice materials, the dots are more evenly spaced out and most of them are in the shape of a square. I was getting 11-13 down on Group Bourdon test off of this forum so I imagine you're not a million miles off. Good luck!
Thanks JJ4 that is helpful. I’ll keep on practicing.

What are you using to practice the GB test? I recommend the following as it is a good representation of the test you’ll face. It also gives you useful information at the end of each test. Quality, not quantity, is what counts. Better to be 100% correct on 75% of a test than 75% correct on 100% of a test!

Don‘t expect to complete any of the tests. Self induced pressure in trying to make it to the end will cause errors.

good luck
Thanks Baz I’ll look at that link, I’ve got about 10 tests of 3 pages half a set on each page simply called the bourdon group test and also load of sheets with the same group of dots a set on each page so loads of practice material.

What are you using to practice the GB test? I recommend the following as it is a good representation of the test you’ll face. It also gives you useful information at the end of each test. Quality, not quantity, is what counts. Better to be 100% correct on 75% of a test than 75% correct on 100% of a test!

Don‘t expect to complete any of the tests. Self induced pressure in trying to make it to the end will cause errors.

good luck
Thanks again, cool calm collected, accuracy is key with an element of speed. I’m nowhere near finishing the 20 lines but I have defo picked up the pace and brought errors down still keep getting them though.

Last edited:

susheelbhutta

I had my DMI yesterday, and passed, so happy and excited! Can anyone advise on what the next stages are? I'm waiting for a date for the medical. I'm guessing the medical will be quite intense, ECG, blood tests etc. I read earlier in the thread about onboarding and referencing, not sure what onboarding means. Also, with the referencing, is this just the standard contacting previous employer, or will I need to provide personal referees as well? Thanks for any advice you can give!
Hi Liam, I have my DMI coming up on the 20th with West Midlands Rail, would appreciate any tips you can give me if you have any at all. Well done on securing your position!

My DMI was done via Microsoft Teams. That was the beginning of Feb.
Hi Dan, I have my DMI coming up soon, any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
How do WMT drivers progress to LNWR? Is it via request? Pot luck during training or based on seniority, link progression, etc...?
Same as any other lateral move. Request through LLC, if there's vacancies then unions will sort it out. If not, it's a waiting game. I've done this move as a conductor last year, really simple tbf.

PC2TD

Hi all, first time poster.
Been reading the forums for a while through the process and thought I’d jump on.
Had my DMI a few weeks back in Birmingham and had an email a few days later saying I’d passed the interview process, now awaiting a medical, references and DBS etc.
Anyone have any idea how long it normally takes for WMT to get back to you to book a medical? Also has anyone been given an idea about start dates? It’s all been a bit vague, unless I’ve missed something!
TIA!

BAZ7369

Hi all, first time poster.
Been reading the forums for a while through the process and thought I’d jump on.
Had my DMI a few weeks back in Birmingham and had an email a few days later saying I’d passed the interview process, now awaiting a medical, references and DBS etc.
Anyone have any idea how long it normally takes for WMT to get back to you to book a medical? Also has anyone been given an idea about start dates? It’s all been a bit vague, unless I’ve missed something!
TIA!
Hi and congratulations on your success.

Having sat the DMI 4 weeks ago, I’ve since had an email notification for a start date, pending successfully passing the medical/DBS etc. These apparently take place a few months prior to the start of your course, so for a September start I’m expecting to attend a medical possibly in June.

I believe the course date will depend on the depot you intend to operate from, as each cohort is for that particular depot. I suspect that this is to concentrate training on specific classes of traction rather than cover a variety that won’t be needed by all trainees. Does that make sense?

Which depot/s have you applied for?

PC2TD

Hi and congratulations on your success.

Having sat the DMI 4 weeks ago, I’ve since had an email notification for a start date, pending successfully passing the medical/DBS etc. These apparently take place a few months prior to the start of your course, so for a September start I’m expecting to attend a medical possibly in June.

I believe the course date will depend on the depot you intend to operate from, as each cohort is for that particular depot. I suspect that this is to concentrate training on specific classes of traction rather than cover a variety that won’t be needed by all trainees. Does that make sense?

Which depot/s have you applied for?
Thanks for the reply and congrats to you too!
Ah so the email I’ve had was telling me that I’d passed the interview, to await the medical and checks and to reply with my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices.

I’ve put in W’ton, New St and Snow Hill as my choices so I guess it’s a waiting game in that case - how about yourself?

BAZ7369

Thanks for the reply and congrats to you too!
Ah so the email I’ve had was telling me that I’d passed the interview, to await the medical and checks and to reply with my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices.

I’ve put in W’ton, New St and Snow Hill as my choices so I guess it’s a waiting game in that case - how about yourself?
Thanks.

I’d submitted Snow Hill, W’ton and Shrewsbury. Not long after had a course date for Snow Hill. Now the long wait for a date for the medical!

12guard4

Same as any other lateral move. Request through LLC, if there's vacancies then unions will sort it out. If not, it's a waiting game. I've done this move as a conductor last year, really simple tbf.
This isn't really true. If you join New Street/Snow Hill you join a WMT depot, Coventry then you join a LNWR depot. You can do some LNWR work at New Street but it won't be for many years as this is based on seniority. Likewise you can't lateral move until 2 years either.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
This isn't really true. If you join New Street/Snow Hill you join a WMT depot, Coventry then you join a LNWR depot. You can do some LNWR work at New Street but it won't be for many years as this is based on seniority. Likewise you can't lateral move until 2 years either.
Well seeing as I've moved from Snow Hill WMT to Crewe LNWR, and the process was exactly as I put I'm not sure what you're getting at. They asked if you can get a transfer between the 2 side's depots, not do some work on each.....and you keep your seniority date (at least I have).

Yes lateral move is after probation, not always 2 years mind as I've known people move sooner in certain circumstances.

12guard4

Well seeing as I've moved from Snow Hill WMT to Crewe LNWR, and the process was exactly as I put I'm not sure what you're getting at. They asked if you can get a transfer between the 2 side's depots, not do some work on each.....and you keep your seniority date (at least I have).

Yes lateral move is after probation, not always 2 years mind as I've known people move sooner in certain circumstances.
The post said progress to LNWR, I took that as they wasn't questioning it as lateral move but maybe not.

The post said progress to LNWR, I took that as they wasn't questioning it as lateral move but maybe not.

Ah sorry, I see where I could have caused confusion in my wording. I was looking to find out if new apprentices could be allocated to LNWR immediately or if they had to bide their time and progress through the links. I got my answer via a combination of your replies.

Since asking the original question I see, from the driver depot sticky, that WMR drivers based at Wolverhampton sign to Liverpool. I believe this is a LNWR service. Would the lads who selected Wolverhampton depot, in posts #919 & #920, fall under LNWR, WMR or even both?

I'm well aware that WMT operates both but I'm intrigued as to how this scenario would play out.

12guard4

Ah sorry, I see where I could have caused confusion in my wording. I was looking to find out if new apprentices could be allocated to LNWR immediately or if they had to bide their time and progress through the links. I got my answer via a combination of your replies.

Since asking the original question I see, from the driver depot sticky, that WMR drivers based at Wolverhampton sign to Liverpool. I believe this is a LNWR service. Would the lads who selected Wolverhampton depot, in posts #919 & #920, fall under LNWR, WMR or even both?

I'm well aware that WMT operates both but I'm intrigued as to how this scenario would play out.
Basically you wear a West Mids Uniform but drive LNWR services at Wolves. Same way Coventry depot wear LNWR uniform but drive cross city services.

Hi,
I applied for a Trainee Train Driver and I attended the last of my assessment days in Watford on April 11th 2022.
I was sent an email saying I had past this stage and would hear back about an interview but am still waiting.
Does anyone now how long this may take as its been 2 months now with no communication.
Thanks

JJ4

Hi,
I applied for a Trainee Train Driver and I attended the last of my assessment days in Watford on April 11th 2022.
I was sent an email saying I had past this stage and would hear back about an interview but am still waiting.
Does anyone now how long this may take as its been 2 months now with no communication.
Thanks
I'm in the same boat as you, Ben. Passed my assessments on the 12th April and have been waiting ever since. I emailed the WMT contact and she advised that they were waiting for the Driver Management Team to confirm their availability, but that was 4 weeks ago now. Hoping for a date soon, as the uncertainty is killing me.

Nahbois1

Did anyone have their first assessment day last week? Just wondered how everyone found it? Waiting for the results is killing me

McGraggon

Did anyone have their first assessment day last week? Just wondered how everyone found it? Waiting for the results is killing me
Yes, I attended my assessment on that date and received an email on the Wednesday stating I had passed. Looking forward to the next stage now and hoping the pace picks up a bit. I feel like I've been waiting a life time for these stages.

Sparkles

First time contributor.
Hello all.
I passed my OPC assessments back in.......December 2021. I have emailed a couple of times (early March and early May) but still haven't heard anything about my DMI date with WMT. My inital application was June 2020. I assume this is still part of the assessment, focusing on PATIENCE! :s

dereksingh291

On Moderation
First time contributor.
Hello all.
I passed my OPC assessments back in.......December 2021. I have emailed a couple of times (early March and early May) but still haven't heard anything about my DMI date with WMT. My inital application was June 2020. I assume this is still part of the assessment, focusing on PATIENCE! :s
What depot are you going for?