• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilksy2396

Evening Akasutts,

Thank you very much for all your information and advice! It is greatly appreciated.

I have been fitting in time to practice as many of the tests I can. I do feel confident at most of the tests now. I've been using the practice materials that WMT sent me along with resources from H2Become, which I have found extremely useful!

This career would be a dream come true as it's all I've aimed for from a very young age! I've been a member of the "orange army" and a Shunter for Victa Railfright to increase my knowledge of the.rail industry and to get to where I am today. So I don't want to ruin my chances!!

Hopefully all my practice pays off on the 10th and I get the chance to show the TDM just how keen and devoted I am to make the grade.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

akasutts

Evening Akasutts,

Thank you very much for all your information and advice! It is greatly appreciated.

I have been fitting in time to practice as many of the tests I can. I do feel confident at most of the tests now. I've been using the practice materials that WMT sent me along with resources from H2Become, which I have found extremely useful!

This career would be a dream come true as it's all I've aimed for from a very young age! I've been a member of the "orange army" and a Shunter for Victa Railfright to increase my knowledge of the.rail industry and to get to where I am today. So I don't want to ruin my chances!!

Hopefully all my practice pays off on the 10th and I get the chance to show the TDM just how keen and devoted I am to make the grade.

No problem.

Sounds like you have it all in hand. Just keep at it and you will be fine.

All the best with your application.

abacus614

I did mine last week and passed. As akasutts said listen carefully to what your being asked and raise your hand if your unsure. Practice and read though the material they sent you and make sure you have photo ID and proof of your NI number. One candidate on my assessment failed to bring their NI number and it held up the whole assessment for everyone.

Pay attention and listen hard. Speed and accuracy are most important. Don't be fooled the tests are designed so you wont finish them, it's just not possible in the time allowed but remember it's better to get 10 right answers rather that 10 right and 5 wrong. Concentrate, keep your head down and you'll be fine.

I was invited to do my stage 2 next week, but I've missed the proverbial train with the assessment centre bookings!! I hadn't even had the email 24hrs and the spaces were snapped up quick time. Hopefully I'll get another invite over the next week or so.

Best of luck.

Dilksy2396

Hello Abacus 614,

Well done on passing stage 1!

I will take on board what you have both said, it's really appreciated.

I am carrying out as many tests as I can in between work.

I will go in there with a level head and stay calm so I can do the best I can.

Is it New Street you've put down as your preferred depot as well, if you don't mind me asking?

abacus614

Hello Abacus 614,

Well done on passing stage 1!

I will take on board what you have both said, it's really appreciated.

I am carrying out as many tests as I can in between work.

I will go in there with a level head and stay calm so I can do the best I can.

Is it New Street you've put down as your preferred depot as well, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes mate it was new street. Another thing I would say as well is keep yourself to yourself, it's your assessment know one else's. Dont be rude but dont mingle either. There seemed to be a few people in there who in my opinion seemed quite loud and brash. Personally I dont have a problem it but you never know who from recruitment is lurking around.

Dilksy2396

Ah great, all being well we will cross tracks in the near future :)

Yes I agree with you, never know who may be lurking around to see what we are like! I usually make good first impressions then keep myself to myself and focus on what I'm there to do. It's an assessment centre not a party.

Let us know how you get on and I'll do the same, will be great to thank you in person and see you around New Street hopefully in uniform.

abacus614

Ah great, all being well we will cross tracks in the near future :)

Yes I agree with you, never know who may be lurking around to see what we are like! I usually make good first impressions then keep myself to myself and focus on what I'm there to do. It's an assessment centre not a party.

Let us know how you get on and I'll do the same, will be great to thank you in person and see you around New Street hopefully in uniform.
Fingers crossed

akasutts

Very good advice from abacus.

I remember straight after the stage 1 assessment a small group talking about how many they completed on the dials test and the ones who had done the fewest seeming to get abit stressed about it all. The truth is you have no idea what the pass mark is or how many people got right or wrong. Just concentrate on yourself as you said.

If you can do the practice tests then you can do the tests on the day. It's just about being consistent. Just relax on the day...

Good luck to you both going forward.

Dilksy2396

Very good advice from abacus.

I remember straight after the stage 1 assessment a small group talking about how many they completed on the dials test and the ones who had done the fewest seeming to get abit stressed about it all. The truth is you have no idea what the pass mark is or how many people got right or wrong. Just concentrate on yourself as you said.

If you can do the practice tests then you can do the tests on the day. It's just about being consistent. Just relax on the day...

Good luck to you both going forward.

Yes your right! It's best to just keep yourself to yourself really and not say too much about how you do in the tests. Don't want to seem full of yourself.

Thank you for wishing us good luck, I shall let you know how I got on

akasutts

Just a quick few questions mate,

Was it dots or letters?
Was it circles with arrows or dials with numbers
And was the DFFT like the one in the paper attached they send in the email?

Dots.
It's sort of half circles with dials and numbers around them from what I can remember.
Very similar, just has slightly more detail in it but still basically as straight forward as the practice papers.

All of the tests are basically similar to the ones that you get in the practice paper. If you can do those without finding them complicated then you will be able to do the assessment day ones. They just vary slightly and make you think for that fraction longer but once you understand them they're straight forward if that makes sense. It's more about listening to the instructions and understanding them.

Dilksy2396

Ah okay well that's good to know.

I've been going through the practice material and passing them without mistakes really. Just going over them if unsure to become confident.
Fingers crossed your right and I shouldn't have any issues on the day.

I will listen to what the examiner instructs as from what you've said that is a major factor in passing on the day.

Thank you again for your support and invaluable information! I shall not forget it.

akasutts

Ah okay well that's good to know.

I've been going through the practice material and passing them without mistakes really. Just going over them if unsure to become confident.
Fingers crossed your right and I shouldn't have any issues on the day.

I will listen to what the examiner instructs as from what you've said that is a major factor in passing on the day.

Thank you again for your support and invaluable information! I shall not forget it.

No problem.

I'm due to start training in March. Without the information on this forum and the advice from other users I wouldnt have made it to this point so I'm more than happy to help if I can.

All the effort that you put in, in your own time will make it all worth while when you get offered the role.

Dilksy2396

No problem.

I'm due to start training in March. Without the information on this forum and the advice from other users I wouldnt have made it to this point so I'm more than happy to help if I can.

Ah okay I bet your looking forward to starting?

Well I do appreciate that mate, means a lot to have support from others in the same situation....

They haven't been able to give me any dates after stage 1 so seems like when I pass on the 10th I may be in for a long wait...

akasutts

Yes mate, I cant wait. I'm really looking forward to learning something new.

It's a long process in all. You can wait months between the stages without hearing anything but then at other times it can move quite quickly. Just trust the good people in HR to get it all sorted.

After stage 1 I think that I had to wait a short while for my results then I had stage 2 around 6 weeks later. I then had the DMI around 4 weeks after that and then had around a 6 month wait until my medical. You just have to be patient and let things play out. The best advice that I can give you is to just take it as it comes.

As long as you're still in the process there is always somebody that wishes they were in your shoes...

Dilksy2396

I'm not surprised mate, I will be exactly the same. It's a very rewarding career and you never stop learning! Can always better your performance by changing certain aspects of your driving and outlook!!

It will be an amazing step up from being a shunter that I am now!

How ever long it takes I will just be privileged to be in the selection process, as like you say there will always be plenty of other people who wish they were in my shoes...

Dante

Is anyone attending these or has recently attended, only had to attend to do the DFFT? This is all I have left to do when I go, just wondering if I'll be hanging around waiting for everyone else to finish the rest or if I'll be able to do it and leave.

abacus614

Is anyone attending these or has recently attended, only had to attend to do the DFFT? This is all I have left to do when I go, just wondering if I'll be hanging around waiting for everyone else to finish the rest or if I'll be able to do it and leave.

Yes mate there was a few other candidates I'm the same boat as you. It's the last test so you'll have to site and wait I'm afraid.

Jeff35

Looking for some info from those who have been through the process please. I have recently received an email inviting me to book an assessment slot for the stage 1 tests. When I click on the link it says all the slots have gone. To say I’m gutted is an understatement. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I likely to get a second chance?

Dilksy2396

Looking for some info from those who have been through the process please. I have recently received an email inviting me to book an assessment slot for the stage 1 tests. When I click on the link it says all the slots have gone. To say I’m gutted is an understatement. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I likely to get a second chance?

Hi Jeff,

You may have to contact recruitment as they wouldn't invite you to an assessment day if there wasn't one booked? There may just be an issue with the link or system.

Let us know what happens.

trundlewagon

This happened with my Stage 1 - think I was asleep after a night shift and by the time I'd woken up and seen the email all the slots had been taken. I was worried I'd missed out but emailed recruitment and they said they'd send another invitation for the next assessment date, which they did.

So don't panic, but might be worth dropping them an email just to confirm that you are still interested.

Jeff35

This happened with my Stage 1 - think I was asleep after a night shift and by the time I'd woken up and seen the email all the slots had been taken. I was worried I'd missed out but emailed recruitment and they said they'd send another invitation for the next assessment date, which they did.

So don't panic, but might be worth dropping them an email just to confirm that you are still interested.

That’s reassuring to hear - can I ask how long it took for the next assessment slots to come up?

trundlewagon

Had to wait a couple of months for a new invitation (think the original invite was for June, but eventually went in August), but they could be doing them more or less often I guess.

I missed my first invitation, I got a new one a few days later.

I’m also going on February 10th, are you morning or afternoon Dilksy?

Dilksy2396

I missed my first invitation, I got a new one a few days later.

I’m also going on February 10th, are you morning or afternoon Dilksy?

Morning Dark Lightning.

Glad to hear you heard back quickly. I've booked in for the afternoon slot, give me chance to prepare in the morning and quickly go over my notes etc.

What about you mate?

Good luck to everyone. I was invited to the Stage 1 assessment this week but had already accepted a role as a Senior Conductor for WMT so have to wait 6 months and apply again (if I want to...not sure yet...lots to learn about being a guard!).

I was a little dissappointed, for a few seconds,then I realised I had done well to get the Conductors position. I knew what the situation would be when I accepted the Conductor position anyway.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying my conductor training so far and I think it could be a job I'll really like. So I'll settle into it, and if I ever feel the time is right, I'll give driving another shot. If not, there'll be lots I can do with a conductors career so I feel like I've put myself into an excellent position.

I know a couple of people personally who are doing their Stage 1 this week, so I'll look on with interest and see how they get on. Best of luck to you guys on here. Hope I end up working a train with you one day. Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.