• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wba0986

Really? That's the bit I'm dreading. Bet your glad you got that out the way? If I fall at the hurdle thats the hurdle I'll fall at.
Don't worry about it. Its 10 minutes ish per question, you get your say then they will expand your answer with questioning. It's not as bad as you think. I had the same doubts as I don't interview well but got through so you can as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Now just received the good word that I passed the MMI too.

Finally coming to the end of this journey, hopefully I get my DMI soon, and make the cut.
Seemed like such a flight of fancy when I first applied considering the hundreds of people that I hear apply to train driver roles.

Excited to be hopefully starting soon.

Wba0986

Now just received the good word that I passed the MMI too.

Finally coming to the end of this journey, hopefully I get my DMI soon, and make the cut.
Seemed like such a flight of fancy when I first applied considering the hundreds of people that I hear apply to train driver roles.

Excited to be hopefully starting soon.
Well done, what depot did you apply for?

Any good tips for the computer tests having just passed them?!

For the WAFV (grey square test) it’s very easy to let your mind wander, considering the 30 minutes of tedium that you go through.

Sometimes the square will take what seemed like (couldn’t tell you exact timings due to my focus) a full minute to change to black, then other times it’s only a few seconds, the erratic timing can catch you out so remain vigilant and don’t get complacent if you get several long pauses of grey in a row.

The ATAVT I’ll say don’t second guess yourself, it’s quite fast, if you didn’t think you saw a bike or whatever else but you’re on the fence, go with what you first thought.

The joystick one, it’s the same course 10 times over, one controls up and down, the other left and right.
Do not at any point let go of the joysticks either, otherwise the square will ping back to it’s starting position, and the starting position is way off course of the track.

Ill share whatever else I can if you’re curious.

Cheers mate. How did you find the MMI?

It was a little intense at times, but not awful, they ask you to use the STAR method in answering questions.

You are allowed to use the same examples for questions if they are relevant, I used two examples twice.
Felt I stumbled at bit at the end when she asked me what can a driver do to remain alert when driving, I was thinking more when actually driving but eventually came to the answer ‘ensure you are well rested’ which seemed to be the answer the interviewer was fishing for.

I had a theory that they always intentionally ask you to redo one of your answers, I was asked this, but they phrased it by saying if there was anything I could’ve said differently under ‘this question’, it seems like it might be more to put you under pressure than maybe your initial answer not being good.
Unsure though, so be prepared for that.

Wba0986

It was a little intense at times, but not awful, they ask you to use the STAR method in answering questions.

You are allowed to use the same examples for questions if they are relevant, I used two examples twice.
Felt I stumbled at bit at the end when she asked me what can a driver do to remain alert when driving, I was thinking more when actually driving but eventually came to the answer ‘ensure you are well rested’ which seemed to be the answer the interviewer was fishing for.

I had a theory that they always intentionally ask you to redo one of your answers, I was asked this, but they phrased it by saying if there was anything I could’ve said differently under ‘this question’, it seems like it might be more to put you under pressure than maybe your initial answer not being good.
Unsure though, so be prepared for that.
Dark lightning I also struggled with that example and she fished around enough for an acceptable answer so they do help you get through I believe.

Wba0986

Cheers. No idea when the dmi will be yet but I'll then probably the biggest decision to make in my working life (leaving police for railway).
Absolutely in the same position mate although I don't want to remain in the police so the decision should be easier for me.

akasutts

Cheers. No idea when the dmi will be yet but I'll then probably the biggest decision to make in my working life (leaving police for railway).

congrats mate.

I was in the same position andyccfc however needed a fresh challenge. I start training with WMT on the 16th March.

I appreciate that it will be completely different to “what I know” but I’m really looking forward to it.

A few friends have already joined the railway and they speak highly of it.

I guess for me it was a case of things won’t change for the better unless I make efforts to make things change so my outlook is “just go for it”.

Last edited:

andyccfc

Which force are you leaving? How long did you do? It's a big decision, in a fairly good role at the moment however I know that won't be forever and could end up somewhere I don't want to be in the future. Plus questions over pension etc too as cops pension is still pretty good. Only served 13 years mind.

akasutts

Which force are you leaving? How long did you do? It's a big decision, in a fairly good role at the moment however I know that won't be forever and could end up somewhere I don't want to be in the future. Plus questions over pension etc too as cops pension is still pretty good. Only served 13 years mind.

West Mids and 11 years. I just couldn’t see how I would be able to do another 26 years of it until I reached the 60 year old retirement age.

You are in a good position then as you still enjoy the role that you’re in. It is just one of those where you have to decide what’s best for you. For me personally I struggle to not see the benefit of joining the railway when I compared the two roles side by side. I had spent my time on the front line and never changed role so personally I’m really looking forward to starting a fresh. I felt like I was just doing the same thing as I was comfortable and I don’t want to get stuck in a rut.

The people that I personally know that have left the Police to join the railway are all glad they took that step which helped me to make the decision.

I spent two years trying to get to this position so I would personally always be thinking “what if” if I didn’t make the jump but I fully appreciate that it’s a big step.

abacus614

Evening all, apt since I must be talking to an load of current and ex plod. I have my S2 on Monday. I was abroad last week and sick this week. Needless to say I've struggled with preparation. But from what I have read there isnt of prep you can do for the computer tests. Is this right or do I need to get the thinking cap on pronto?

Evening all, apt since I must be talking to an load of current and ex plod. I have my S2 on Monday. I was abroad last week and sick this week. Needless to say I've struggled with preparation. But from what I have read there isnt of prep you can do for the computer tests. Is this right or do I need to get the thinking cap on pronto?

For the PC tests there’s not too much I’d say that you can personally do, I know the ATAVT has a few practice ones on Youtube.

The WAFV isn’t hard just remain vigilant and don’t let the mind wander.

If you play video games the two hand coordination should be no worries, I enjoy a nice game and I thought it was the easiest test of the day.
Although others who didn’t disagreed and thought it was the hardest out of both stages.

Last edited:

abacus614

For the PC tests there’s not too much I’d say that you can personally do, I know the ATAVT has a few practice ones on Youtube.

The WAFV isn’t hard just remain vigilant and don’t let the mind wander.

If you play video games the two hand coordination should be a be no worries, I enjoy a nice game and I thought it was the easiest test of the day.
Although others who didn’t disagreed and thought it was the hardest out of both stages.
Many thanks Dark Lightning. What about the mmi?

Many thanks Dark Lightning. What about the mmi?

They’ll give you the questions in advance to the actual MMI, plenty of time to think of an answer, so I wouldn’t worry.

Just remember to answer in the STAR method, it’s what they like, therefore, don’t talk generally about what you’ve done in your job, don’t say for example ‘I write legal contracts everyday therefore...’ say something more like, ‘I came in on Monday and wrote some legal contracts’ they want specific examples, if you’re too general they’ll ask a specific time you did it, so I just rephrased my same Akin to above.

At the end of your answer, link back to the original question and why that answers it.
And remember always, safety before anything else, always have that at the forefront of the answer if possible/relevant.

andyccfc

Coming from cops, you'll have loads of examples for the MMI. I found it quite easy.

The computer tests... Yeah you can't really practice so don't worry. 2 out of the 6 on mine failed on the grey square one. Just concentrate and don't lose track and you'll be fine. It doesn't change shade all that often.

The Vienna... I got through with logical guesses, such as if you saw a traffic light, chances are there was a street sign too.

And the 2 hand is quite easy. So again, don't worry.

You'll be good!

Wba0986

I concur with the above. The first test just concentrate on the square and forget your surroundings. 2nd test as per andy if there are lights more than likely there will be a sign. I found the 3rd test not too bad but not like using an xbox or ps4. The track remains the same so you can get quicker each time.
I felt if you had decent answers in the mmi the interviewer actually helps you along a bit with their questions. Good luck.

abacus614

Failed S2 today. Passed 2 hand coordination to national standard and wmt want enhanced. Everything else passed at enhanced.

Don't be complacent and think few mistakes will be ok. Theres a lot posts on here saying of mistakes and they still passed. Take nothing for granted and try and be as accurate as possible

AgentGemini

WMT want enhanced for some reason which has aggrieved a lot of people as they have been passed on other TOCs such as GWR.

Status
Not open for further replies.