• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT - Trainee Driver (Talent Pool) - Crewe / Shrewsbury / Leamington Spa (27/12/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

easternstop

Ive just got email to book stage 1 testing. I replied back saying ive completed stage one and last time i got as far stage 2, stage one and 2 was done in 2021 july. I was told the opc have said i have to do some part of stage one agian.

Only thing i can think of is the group bourdon test is only valid for 3 years , all other tests are 5 years. Or theres been a mistake.

Cuppatea

Ive just got email to book stage 1 testing. I replied back saying ive completed stage one and last time i got as far stage 2, stage one and 2 was done in 2021 july. I was told the opc have said i have to do some part of stage one agian.

Only thing i can think of is the group bourdon test is only valid for 3 years , all other tests are 5 years. Or theres been a mistake.
Same here but they never told me why I had to do them again. Just a generic answer.

TacoTraveller

From what I've found from 1 user and what a user posted from an email reply on this thread the DFFT is a part of it, if you have already completed then I'd say you've passed the assessments unless some have expired.

easternstop

From what I've found from 1 user and what a user posted from an email reply on this thread the DFFT is a part of it, if you have already completed then I'd say you've passed the assessments unless some have expired.
Yeah ive done the fault finding. Somthing must have expired. But ive always thought the tests have a 5 years expiry.

I got to stage 2 testing last time round with wmtrains. Just cant put my finger on it. This was 2021 july.

TacoTraveller

Yeah ive done the fault finding. Somthing must have expired. But ive always thought the tests have a 5 years expiry.

I got to stage 2 testing last time round with wmtrains. Just cant put my finger on it. This was 2021 july.
No idea then, something must have expired then.

Also the 5 year record is TOC dependent some do 5 years, some do less to they're not all 5 years.

Ethanjmk

I’ve had the email to book for the assessment day which I’ve booked. I passed the stage one last January 2023 for freightliner with the opc, group bourdon-Dfft etc. Did any of you get told that you won’t need to redo them or did you have to email wmt to Alert them to this?

Cuppatea

I’ve had the email to book for the assessment day which I’ve booked. I passed the stage one last January 2023 for freightliner with the opc, group bourdon-Dfft etc. Did any of you get told that you won’t need to redo them or did you have to email wmt to Alert them to this?
I’ve been told I have to do them again and if i fail then I lose a life and apparently me taking them and passing them first time classes a life lost too??

Ethanjmk

I’ve been told I have to do them again and if i fail then I lose a life and apparently me taking them and passing them first time classes a life lost too??
Strange way to go about it really isn’t it. You’d of thought it would of just been counted automatically
Did you email the wmt recruitment to find out?

SJN

Passing them doesn’t count as a life lost. You only lose a life for tests you fail to the required standard.

Dec718

I think for me based on some people’s opinions whether they’re fact or not and also speaking to drivers where I work now I’m probably not going to take these tests again with WMT.
I have passed all of them already and did it first time so I don’t want to put myself in a position where I could potentially fail one test and lose my passes.
For me it’s just not worth the risk.
I’ve still not done an MMI yet so it would have been ideal to do that for future applications if I were unsuccessful at DMI but it just seems the negatives outweigh the positives this time round!

Cuppatea

Strange way to go about it really isn’t it. You’d of thought it would of just been counted automatically
Did you email the wmt recruitment to find out?
Yeah I did.
I think for me based on some people’s opinions whether they’re fact or not and also speaking to drivers where I work now I’m probably not going to take these tests again with WMT.
I have passed all of them already and did it first time so I don’t want to put myself in a position where I could potentially fail one test and lose my passes.
I’ve still not done an MMI yet so it would have been ideal to do that for future applications if I were unsuccessful at DMI but it just seems the negatives outweigh the positives this time round!
Literally thinking this!

Passing them doesn’t count as a life lost. You only lose a life for tests you fail to the required standard.
The recruitment literally told me this I was like how is that even possible? I have never failed so passing them doe not mean I’ve lost a life surely?

TacoTraveller

Being as the tests are done by the OPC and results stored by the OPC with TOCs only having access to the results, how can they make you take the tests all over again if you've already completed them and none of the results have expired yet?

I'm also in the same boat, passed all the tests but failed on an MMI.

eastersunday

Being as the tests are done by the OPC and results stored by the OPC with TOCs only having access to the results, how can they make you take the tests all over again if you've already completed them and none of the results have expired yet?

I'm also in the same boat, passed all the tests but failed on an MMI.
How many times do I have to explain this to you! You could have taken every single test they require and passed to enhanced but not the “enhanced standard” that WMT require. Enhanced isn’t a blanket for all companies. Each toc has their own enhanced criteria. One may allow two mistakes on a test, some may not allow any. This is why retaking these tests is risky if you’ve already reached the highest level you can mentally achieve! Only apply to the TOCs that will accept your results, don’t retake any tests UNLESS you’ve previously failed. Trying to better yourself is unlikely!

SJN

Yeah I did.

Literally thinking this!

The recruitment literally told me this I was like how is that even possible? I have never failed so passing them doe not mean I’ve lost a life surely?
Well it sounds like they’re confused. You can pass the tests as many times as you like but can only fail them twice. When I did mine, some people were sent who had completed some or failed some previously but the people at the OPC check before you do anything if you need to do any tests.

Cuppatea

Well it sounds like they’re confused. You can pass the tests as many times as you like but can only fail them twice. When I did mine, some people were sent who had completed some or failed some previously but the people at the OPC check before you do anything if you need to do any tests.
I thought as much. I doubt I’ll continue to be honest as I have a pass already and don’t fancy risking any chances of failures against that.

SJN

I thought as much. I doubt I’ll continue to be honest as I have a pass already and don’t fancy risking any chances of failures against that.
I understand that and the OPC person did double check that with the people there. If you do go along, you might find that there’s no tests to do or you might need to do one that you haven’t done before.

Cuppatea

I understand that and the OPC person did double check that with the people there. If you do go along, you might find that there’s no tests to do or you might need to do one that you haven’t done before.
Just seems to be a lot of miss communication and also a risk to take. I’ve asked what I’d be required to undertake and I’ve been told all of them which isn’t true so having to go and sit them all again is just too risky which is a shame but seems I’m not the only one who feels that way unfortunately.

easternstop

Just got a email from recruitment team saying i no longer need to attend stage 1 testing . There was some mistake . I now have to wait for stage 2 dates.