• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wolverhampton/Birmingham - Aberdeen Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee15_16

Not really specific date's but it will be latter end of january for a week, I've been looking for just testing purposes at 19th to 26th, but can be pretty much anydate. Just wondering what the cheapest companies are to use now, as i used to use Cross Country on the £15 single (£10 with YP)Birm/Edin then £10 single on FirstScotRail Edin/Aber But seems Cross C have increased dramatically in price. FSR seems to have some cheap fares - I'm just not coming up with anything, just wondering if anyone can.

Please tell me if there is anymore info i can provide :)

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Cheapest fare will probably be something like :
Birmingham - Edinburgh (via Preston)
Edinburgh - Aberdeen

I find it is cheaper :
Birmingham - Warrington
Warrington - Wigan
Wigan - Preston
Preston - Glasgow
Quite ridiculous having to have that many splits!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's often cheaper by XC than VT
A while back XC used to have tickets specifically for BHM - EDB (but nowhere else) for a cheap price (like, £14 or something) even when the prices for intermediate journeys was much higher (e.g. York to Birmingham may be £18, but Edinburgh to Birmingham would be £12!) this was specifically to compete with Virgin for the Birmingham to Edinburgh flow only. However in recent months I have not seen any appear at very low prices, but then I don't look often as it's not a journey I would do.

So, in summary, yes you are right but I am unsure if it's still the case.

MCR247

Established Member
I forgot about megatrain, but I remember looking for a friend. He was doingDerby - Edinburgh tickets and they were around £90 (advance!), but he had a girlfriend from Birmingham, and she was planning to join a New St, and he'd join at DBY. The ticket from BHM was £33.70 or something! So he drove down the night before and stayed over and they both went from New st. I thought it might just be the quota, so I checked for a date that had just be released and it was still cheaper! Just not as much difference

route:oxford

Established Member
A while back XC used to have tickets specifically for BHM - EDB (but nowhere else) for a cheap price (like, £14 or something) even when the prices for intermediate journeys was much higher (e.g. York to Birmingham may be £18, but Edinburgh to Birmingham would be £12!) this was specifically to compete with Virgin for the Birmingham to Edinburgh flow only. However in recent months I have not seen any appear at very low prices, but then I don't look often as it's not a journey I would do.

So, in summary, yes you are right but I am unsure if it's still the case.

I really miss those £15 fares. They were almost always available right up until 6pm the day before travel.

There is the occasional XC+connection cheap fares available - but you really do have to rake around for them*.

*And no doubt someone will whine about me deserving to be fined for travelling on an XC service from Birmingham to Bathgate or Dunfermline on cheap XC+ ticket then blatantly not using the "connection" element of the ticket, instead buying a ticket to Stirling...

Bee15_16

Thank you all so much for your replies. It's so frustrating. I used to fly for £40 rtn then that flight was removed so I had to use the trains, now it just seems that everything is being doubled tripled and more!
May I ask what this XC+ is?

And last but not least, Happy New Year, Everyone.

krus_aragon

Established Member
May I ask what this XC+ is?

That's the type of advance ticket he had, with route "CrossCountry + connections", meaning he had to travel most of the distance on a specific XC train, but could use any train for the local connection in Scotland.

Bee15_16

Hello again!

It is an old(ish) thread but it's the same question again, can't find anything less than £50 ish single at the moment unless i split 5 times or i'm in birmingham for 2:00 to get the megabus. And i'll be honest, that's not something i want to do when i'm alone :)

So any idea's or any suggestions are very much welcomed. Thank you in advance!

SS4

Established Member
Hello again!

It is an old(ish) thread but it's the same question again, can't find anything less than £50 ish single at the moment unless i split 5 times or i'm in birmingham for 2:00 to get the megabus. And i'll be honest, that's not something i want to do when i'm alone :)

So any idea's or any suggestions are very much welcomed. Thank you in advance!

OP said:
but it will be latter end of january for a week

Did you have any dates in mind? - today is the 1st February so late Jan has passed

L'edit:

I have found ~£61 while changing at Preston and Edinburgh assuming going on 16th Feb (Wed) and returning on the 23rd (Wed) although I'm sure someone can do better than me

Out

BHM --> PRE

Depart: 11:20 , Arrive: 12:51, Cost: £10.55

PRE --> EDB
Depart: 13:53, Arrive: 16:21, Cost: £14.85
(there is a Depart: 12:58, Arrive: 15:40, Cost: £14.20 if you dare risk the connection)

EDB ---> ABD
Depart 16:28, Arrive: 19:00, Cost: £6.80

Return

ABD --> EDB
Depart: 14:50, Arrive: 17:27, Cost: £6.60

EDB --> PRE
Depart:18:12, Arrive: 20:45, Cost: £14.20

PRE --> BHM
Depart: 21:17, Arrive: 22:55, Cost: £8.60

Last edited:

Bee15_16

I'm ever so sorry for the late reply, i haven't any set dates, would probably be around 14-19 ish i should imagine but thank you for what you have found, that's wonderful.

Btw which company was this?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.