• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wolverhampton - Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee15_16

Hello all!

Very last minute trip to Newcastle, looking at reasonable travel prices and I'd just like some reassurance I've actually researched this right.

Are the following times the same train? A straight return is £105.90 but splitting it is £61.40.

Wolverhampton - Newcastle
09:59 - 13:45
Newcastle - Wolverhampton
14:35 - 18:14

£105.90 RTN

Now splitting;

Wolverhampton - York York - Wolverhampton
09:59 - 12:39 15:35 - 1818
£35.40 RTN

York - Newcastle Newcastle - York
12:48 - 13:45 14:35 - 15:32
£26 RTN

Both Returns = £61.40
Can I buy this split and not get off the train?
Thank you all for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A couple of important points to note.

Firstly you are not comparing like with like. The £105.90 fare is a fully flexible Off-Peak Return whereas the cheaper fares look like Advance fares which are worthless if you miss your booked train. If you are happy with a set itinerary then by all means go for it.

Secondly there is no direct service between Wolves and York. I think you need to change at Birmingham New Street. I cannot say for sure whether it is the same train at York because you didn't say which day it is but if this is a weekday then it does indeed seem to be the same train.

If you go for the cheaper option, there is no problem remaining on the train at York. (Well, you kind of have to, as your tickets are only valid on those services.)

Bee15_16

Oops, yes I never mentioned the date, It's 30th aug returning 31st. Yes there is a change at birmingham ill need to do, the route appears the same with the change, just wanted some reassurance with looking at it :)
The £105.90 rtn was the only direct and cheapest rtn I could find, being so late I assumed there was no more cheaper returns for advance booking.
Thank you for your reply.

dvboy

Established Member
An alternative would be via Manchester and Leeds, splitting there. Leeds from Wolves takes roughly the same amount of time via Manchester as it does via Birmingham, and from memory the off peak return is cheaper.

Bee15_16

Thank you all again for the replies.
I'm not seeing anything that compares to the route I mentioned before which is unfortunate!
I'm still looking :D

Status
Not open for further replies.