• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wolverhampton to Euston via Stafford

Class 800

I recently booked a journey with Avanti from Wolverhampton to Euston on their website.
The cheapest and fastest option was Wolverhampton-Stafford and then Stafford-Euston.
£7.90 advance single with railcard - not a split ticket. And fast because it goes via the Trent Valley.

The only problem is, the ticket only allows 7 minutes for the change, the train is due in to Stafford at 1745 and the next one is due out at 1752.

The problem is if the first train is +2 or more then there are <5 mins, which is less than the minimum connection time.

If in the worst case, the first train pulls in when the second train is already at the platform, or I miss it all together, will I be expected to run?
Or will the 5 minutes always be respected?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If your first train runs late and this causes you to miss your connection then your ticket will still be valid to travel.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I made a connection at Stafford in less than a minute last week without running.

You are not expected to run to make a connection (in fact announcements often tell passengers not to run). If you miss your connection due to a late running train then you are entitled to catch the next train operated by the operator specified on your ticket. You might also be entitled to claim delay repay.

jfollows

Established Member
Please use the full names for stations at least once, preferably in the thread title, because not everyone understands these three-letter codes or wants to be forced to look them up.

The minimum connection time has nothing to do with actual train running times, it's only there to define what a valid connection between two trains is at any particular station.

If you are unable to make a valid connection at a station, most likely because of late running of the inbound train, then with an advance ticket you can use a later train service than booked with the same operator as booked with the second train.

That's the simple answer, and it's clearly defined in the terms and conditions associated with advance tickets. It's also appropriate for you, in that the next service you would want to catch in the case of delay would be an Avanti train, with whom you are booked.

EDIT And others said already, in answer to your question, you do not need to run to make a connection, that's up to you, and your ticket remains valid on a later train if you don't. Not everyone can run - I can't - so it would be ludicrous to say otherwise, although I accept that sometimes things on our railways aren't always as sensible as they otherwise could be!