• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Women's FA Cup Final at Wembley- travel home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanburyBlue

Hi all,

I'm going to the Women's FA Cup Final on Sunday 5th December, travelling there and back from Banbury. There is a special timetable in operation that day, but frankly, all this seems to do is add more stops for Marylebone trains, as opposed to adding anything more going north. The match kicks off a 2 p.m., so assume finish at 4 p.m., although I guess there will be trophy presentation etc.

There is a train at 17.07 (ex Marylebone at 16.54). However, last time I went to Wembley (a good few years ago now) they were holding people back from getting onto the platforms because of overcrowding (understandably). So wondering if anyone got any experience on how busy things get at the Wembley stations after a match of that size? I'm guessing Wembley won't be full, but not sure how many are going to the game. The problem is that being a Sunday, it looks like trains are hourly, so if I miss the 17.07, the next train isn't until 17.58.

I was wondering if there is any merit in going from Wembley to Marylebone first, either by going on a Chiltern train to Marylebone first, or via Metropolitan Line from Wembley Park to Baker Street? I don't know how quickly things move from Wembley Park, but I get the impression it's quite quick?

Of course, I'm probably deluding myself, as by the time the match + trophy presentation has finished, probably won't get a chance to get to Marylebone to catch the 16.54 anyway.

Any help/advice/experience appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I’m amazed that more people don’t use Wembley stadium station. Far far quicker. Never use the tube You will be held on Wembley way in queue. Having said that how big is the crowd expected to be? You should be fine for 1707, 2pm kick off means 3.50 finish, half hour max for trophy presentation, plenty of time.

BanburyBlue

I’m amazed that more people don’t use Wembley stadium station. Far far quicker. Never use the tube You will be held on Wembley way in queue. Having said that how big is the crowd expected to be? You should be fine for 1707, 2pm kick off means 3.50 finish, half hour max for trophy presentation, plenty of time.
Hi many thanks. The last Women's FA Cup final with a crowd was 2018/19, and the crowd was 43,000.

What concerns me is being held at Wembley Stadium going north.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Doesn't this game potentially go to extra time and penalties?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
If you miss the 17.07, given the next one is just a 51 minute wait (or likely less assuming you don't just miss it by a minute or two), I'm not sure doing anything "clever" (like trying to head to Marylebone first) is worth it tbh.

BanburyBlue

If you miss the 17.07, given the next one is just a 51 minute wait (or likely less assuming you don't just miss it by a minute or two), I'm not sure doing anything "clever" (like trying to head to Marylebone first) is worth it tbh.
You're probably right. I was surprised Chiltern weren't putting in more additional stops going north. Perhaps they think as it's Arsenal vs Chelsea, that the majority of the crowd will be heading into London?

Wolfie

Established Member
Your mooted 1550 finish time is incredibly optimistic - no more than 5 mins total added time in both halves (when substitutions alone can be 3 mins - refs are told to add 30 secs for each). Implicitly you are also assuming a result in 90 mins, so no extra time or penalty shoot out, both of which could very easily be necessary.

BanburyBlue

Hi. I don't mind it finishing late, because there are later trains. I'm more concerned with being stuck in a big queue, and missing a couple of trains because I couldn't get to the platform.

Is there any way to find out how long the trains will be? Be a laugh if a 2 car 165 rocked up.

Hi. I don't mind it finishing late, because there are later trains. I'm more concerned with being stuck in a big queue, and missing a couple of trains because I couldn't get to the platform.

Is there any way to find out how long the trains will be? Be a laugh if a 2 car 165 rocked up.
Didn’t think about RTT. That says it’s a 68.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Unless you have access to Chiltern's rolling stock diagrams, no. On the day, you could post on the TOPS thread and I'm sure someone will be able to give you allocations.

sammyg901

Chiltern are pretty organised at Wembley, there will be various queues including one for stations to Banbury and north so you'll be prioritised onto the platform for the services you need. No intel on formations but the 1758 calls at several minor stations like Kings Sutton which I believe restricts it to 4 carriages? But a 2pm kick off should see you in the 1707 68+silver set unless it really goes all the way.

BanburyBlue

Chiltern are pretty organised at Wembley, there will be various queues including one for stations to Banbury and north so you'll be prioritised onto the platform for the services you need. No intel on formations but the 1758 calls at several minor stations like Kings Sutton which I believe restricts it to 4 carriages? But a 2pm kick off should see you in the 1707 68+silver set unless it really goes all the way.

Good point - I never thought of that. I guess if I can't get on/miss the 17.07 I could get the first train north and change at High Wycombe or Princes Risborough. Hopefully the trains may have emptied a little by then.

sammyg901

Good point - I never thought of that. I guess if I can't get on/miss the 17.07 I could get the first train north and change at High Wycombe or Princes Risborough. Hopefully the trains may have emptied a little by then.
Potentially, just carefully check where you'd change as Chiltern like to keep you on your toes with calling patterns & some trains do overtake eachother en route (maybe not on a Sunday)

BanburyBlue

Potentially, just carefully check where you'd change as Chiltern like to keep you on your toes with calling patterns & some trains do overtake eachother en route (maybe not on a Sunday)

Yes, looking the special timetable, they have slotted in some extra Wembley to High Wycombe trains, that are overtaken by longer distance services.

Next stupid question. If I bought a Super Off Peak return from Banbury to London (restriction code PV), could I go Banbury to Marylebone outbound, and Wembley Stadium to Banbury on the return?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Next stupid question. If I bought a Super Off Peak return from Banbury to London (restriction code PV), could I go Banbury to Marylebone outbound, and Wembley Stadium to Banbury on the return?
Yes, that would be fine.

BanburyBlue

But no break of journey allowed on the outward journey.
Thanks. That's fine. My son and granddaughter are coming in from Liverpool Street, so the plan was for me to travel to Marylebone, meet them at Baker Street for lunch, and then travel to Wembley on the Metropolitan line, and go home direct from Wembley Stadium.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But no break of journey allowed on the outward journey.
That's not correct; there is nothing in the restriction code text to indicate any such restriction. Anyone who enquires about breaking their journey will be told it is permitted on flexible tickets (including Super Off-Peak Returns) unless specifically stated otherwise in the restriction code.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
That's not correct; there is nothing in the restriction code text to indicate any such restriction. Anyone who enquires about breaking their journey will be told it is permitted on flexible tickets (including Super Off-Peak Returns) unless specifically stated otherwise in the restriction code.

Duff info on BR Fares? See link following...

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Duff info on BR Fares? See link following...

GIGO!

This is simply a spurious electronic data flag attached to any ticket of type OPR. Given that OPR is used for a wide variety of tickets, almost all of which have no actual break of journey restrictions, I don't know what it's there for.

GlosRail

You will get on the 17.07 with no problems. I use Wembley Stadium starts often. (8 times this year after England games) there will be a queuing system in place. It works well.

BanburyBlue

Many thanks for all your advice - I’ve made it home after the mighty Blues tonked Arsenal.

in terms of the journey home, as said above, very organised with 4 different queues. I’m not sure what timetable changes Chiltern make for Wembley match days, but I don’t think they put any extra trains on? Do they just make Wembley Stadium an additional stop perhaps? The problem is that at this time in the afternoon, trains are packed before they leave Marylebone. So although planning to catch the 17.07 (ex-Marylebone 16.54), we were kept on the footbridge while the train arrived & departed, with no-one allowed on as the train was too busy.

By this time, the heavens opened and it was pigging freezing. It doesn’t help that there is only 1 service per hour north of Bicester North on a Sunday. We had to wait for the 17.58 (ex Marylebone 17.46). Now, there were continued apologies from Chiltern about the delay, and they put an additional 2 car unit on with the doors locked out at Marylebone, which were opened at Wembley.

So, good to Chiltern did something by adding the 2 car unit to the 17.58 for use from Wembley only. And to be fair, they couldn’t do much with the 16.54 as it was one of the loco hauled sets. But surely they should realise how busy trains from Marylebone are that time of the day, and hence be aware of the potential problems with loads of fans trying to get on at Wembley?

interestingly, the 17.58 didn’t make its booked calls at Gerard’s Cross, Beaconsfield, High Wycombe, Princes Risborough, Haddenham or Kings Sutton. I’m assuming they must have stopped passengers from boarding at Marylebone? I’m glad I stayed at Wembley, because that would scuppered one of my other plans to take the first train north, and change at Haddenham or Princes Risborough, just to get away from Wembley.

Final point, would this qualify for delay repay?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Final point, would this qualify for delay repay?
I would think so, although you may have to argue your case, as it would appear that the earlier train (that you couldn't board) was on time arriving at Banbury.

BanburyBlue

I would think so, although you may have to argue your case, as it would appear that the earlier train (that you couldn't board) was on time arriving at Banbury.

I guess the key is whether Chiltern would say this was their fault, and hide behind health & safety. Their website says…

If you are delayed on a Chiltern Railways journey and the cause of the delay was within the railway industry control you can claim compensation.

So, would overcrowding be classed as “within railway industry” control?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Moot point. How many carriages long was the 1654 departure from London Marylebone? Was it short formed? Even if not, probably still worth a claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.