• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woolworths Is Back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
But it still says that nearly 30,000 or so people wont get their jobs back... I think it was that? I read the article earlier on, and don't wanna read it again !!

Darandio

Established Member
But it still says that nearly 30,000 or so people wont get their jobs back... I think it was that? I read the article earlier on, and don't wanna read it again !!

Go on, have a look! Yeah, only a fraction will be able to get some sort of job with the retailer.

me123

Established Member
Good! There was a last minute offer to sell "key shops" which, sadly, fell through, but hopefully it'll be back up online. It'll still be sad to see the one I walk past every morning closed, though.

Aussie_Rail

So what will happen to all their retail stores and other facilities, will these be sold off or kept in case they might reopen after the trouble is over?

If any Woolworths employees mind a comute to Australia, there are plenty of huge supermarkets called Woolworths in every state to work in. :D

AR

Death

Established Member
Just noticed an article this morning on the BBC, Woolworths is returning as an online retailer.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7864194.stm
Now that's a cunning investment move by anyone's standards! What the Barclay twins have basically done is to buy the well known brand - Which will attract sales through customer familiarity - But as they already possess other online businesses, they'll simply use their existing infrastructure and trade under the Woolworths name! :shock:
Talk about a money-spinner...Given that Zavvi was (IIRC) formerly known as HMV or Tower Records (Both well known names) Virgin, I wonder if I could pull a similar fast-one with their bankruptcy? ;)

So what will happen to all their retail stores and other facilities, will these be sold off or kept in case they might reopen after the trouble is over?
I don't know about the wider range of stores and equipment to be honest, but - Assuming that Deloitte have actually bothered to note down my details and record of my telephone conversations with them - I should have first refusal on the remaining till and server equipment from all of the former stores in the Blackwater Valley area... <D

Last edited:

D9521

Now that's a cunning investment move by anyone's standards! What the Barclay twins have basically done is to buy the well known brand - Which will attract sales through customer familiarity - But as they already possess other online businesses, they'll simply use their existing infrastructure and trade under the Woolworths name! :shock:
Talk about a money-spinner...Given that Zavvi was (IIRC) formerly known as HMV or Tower Records (Both well known names) I wonder if I could pull a similar fast-one with their bankruptcy? ;)

I don't know about the wider range of stores and equipment to be honest, but - Assuming that Deloitte have actually bothered to note down my details and record of my telephone conversations with them - I should have first refusal on the remaining till and server equipment from all of the former stores in the Blackwater Valley area... <D

Zavvi was formerly Virgin?

Death

Established Member
Zavvi was formerly Virgin?
Cheers for the correction mate! Have edited/changed/f***ed aboot with my original post accordingly. 8)

And on that note...What about buying the old Virgin brand for use on a new open-access TOC operating out of Euston? That'd cause a lot of amusing passenger confusion... :lol:<D)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom B

Established Member
And on that note...What about buying the old Virgin brand for use on a new open-access TOC operating out of Euston? That'd cause a lot of amusing passenger confusion... :lol:<D)

Doubt it wuold be allowed - I think there's a clause which prohibits companies using the same name as an established company in a given field.

WillPS

Established Member
Zavvi posses no right to refer to themselves as Virgin in any way, other than for historical reference. If they wanted to, they could have licensed the brand from Virgin Group, but the asking price was rediculous.

TBH this whole Woolies thing is a farce, I doubt it'll catch on. Just a shame nobody rescued the brand on the retail end, Tesco @ Woolworths anybody?

John_158

I notice that the Woolworths Shop in Widnes has opened up as B&M didn't seem to take to long for them to get there clutches into Widnes as the shop seems to still bevery much like Woolworths in side as i discovered earlier today.

Death

Established Member
I notice that the Woolworths Shop in Widnes has opened up as B&M...
Bollinger & Mabillard have opened up a shop in Widnes? :shock:

For me, this sounds like very good news...But even putting aside the "Credit Crunch" for a moment, I can't really see many high-street shoppers having either the inclination (Or the cash) to go buying multi-million pound rollercoasters on a whim... :shock::lol:<D

Guinness

Established Member
Bollinger & Mabillard have opened up a shop in Widnes? :shock:

For me, this sounds like very good news...But even putting aside the "Credit Crunch" for a moment, I can't really see many high-street shoppers having either the inclination (Or the cash) to go buying multi-million pound rollercoasters on a whim... :shock::lol:<D

B&M Warehouse would be an excellent idea :D

Status
Not open for further replies.