• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worcester - van on track 4 March 2024

Henffordd

Local press (Hereford Times) picked up a story about a vehicle blocking track "between Worcester and Hereford" Picture shows a van which appears to be on the railway bridge over the Severn at Worcester. Now, how did it get there?? Picture credit Anil Patel of Worcester News

1709545858171.png

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
You can't park there, mate.

Pause for raucous laughter.

How does this even happen? It's a fair way to the bridge from the nearest level crossing, isn't it? Surely at some point you'd realise you were no longer on the King's highway.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
How does this even happen? It's a fair way to the bridge from the nearest level crossing, isn't it? Surely at some point you'd realise you were no longer on the King's highway.
Approximately 260m, but that is reportly what occurred - wrong turn at crossing, then carried on until struck bridge. You would think driving over sleepers abd ballast would be rough enough to 'waken' them up to their error.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
You can't park there, mate.

Pause for raucous laughter.

Accidental turn at level crossing? Or a desperate attempt to flee the police like that case near London a couple of years ago? A high clearance van will probably cope ok with conventional ballast and sleepers, but fail big time on a bridge with timber waybeams, and gaps everywhere between the rails…

styles

Approximately 260m, but that is reportly what occurred - wrong turn at crossing, then carried on until struck bridge. You would think driving over sleepers abd ballast would be rough enough to 'waken' them up to their error.
Nope - happens regularly in Nottingham on the Lenton Lane tram bridge. There's something silly like 12 no entry/tram only signs, rumble strips, road markings, on approach and once every few months somebody still manages to drives onto the bridge.
The concrete from either side of the rails disappears, leaving a challenging balancing act to get to the other side of an arched bridge, which they're never successful at.

1709549705405.png
Photo from Joseph Raynor/ Nottingham Post.

Cars from Google Images getting stuck:

1709549813949.jpeg
1709549835134.jpeg
1709549856848.png
1709549917203.png

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Nope - happens regularly in Nottingham on the Lenton Lane tram bridge. There's something silly like 12 no entry/tram only signs, rumble strips, road markings, on approach and once every few months somebody still manages to drives onto the bridge.
The concrete from either side of the rails disappears, leaving a challenging balancing act to get to the other side of an arched bridge, which they're never successful at.

View attachment 153581
Photo from Joseph Raynor/ Nottingham Post.

Cars from Google Images getting stuck:

View attachment 153582
View attachment 153583
View attachment 153584
View attachment 153585
Oh dear :oops::rolleyes::lol:

John Luxton

Established Member
Obviously someone paying too much attention to the Sat Nav!!!

About a decade ago I bought my first car with a built in sat nav.

Having never used one before I set it up for a journey from my work place to Liverpool Costco about 4 or 5 miles out of curiosity to see if would take me the route I had always used.

I was amazed when it showed me a route into the Wallasey Tunnel which ended in the tunnel.

Liverpool Costco and the the Wallasey Tunnel ventalation shaft are adjacent to one another and obviously share the same post code which obviously accounted for the glitch.

All my subsequent cars have had Sat Nav - but I treat its advice with a pinch of salt as some of the suggested routes are not ones I would take because I know a better way.

Sat Nav is a useful took if used in unfamilar areas - but drivers need to realise it doesn't replace common sense!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Having never used one before I set it up for a journey from my work place to Liverpool Costco about 4 or 5 miles out of curiosity to see if would take me the route I had always used.

I was amazed when it showed me a route into the Wallasey Tunnel which ended in the tunnel.

Liverpool Costco and the the Wallasey Tunnel ventalation shaft are adjacent to one another and obviously share the same post code which obviously accounted for the glitch.

All my subsequent cars have had Sat Nav - but I treat its advice with a pinch of salt as some of the suggested routes are not ones I would take because I know a better way.

Sat Nav is a useful took if used in unfamilar areas - but drivers need to realise it doesn't replace common sense!
Did you see post #11? I suspect it’s likely nothing at all to do with satnav…

75A

Established Member

On a dull day I have been known to use the one built into my Land Rover and the one in my smartphone at the same time, quite often they'll have different routes in mind.

bleeder4

On a dull day I have been known to use the one built into my Land Rover and the one in my smartphone at the same time, quite often they'll have different routes in mind.
Sat navs sometimes deliberately guide their users down a longer route to their destination so that they can gather accurate data on how long that route takes. There are always multiple routes between two points and sat navs need to display to their users how long each of those routes will take. It is by occasionally picking a random user as a "guinea pig" that they gather that data.

rower40

My early satnav had quite a fit when I took it on Eurostar, and it kept trying to lock on to the adjacent M2 on the Medway Viaduct.

Incorrectly (surprise) Worcester News at one point had the van getting on the track at Foregate St.:lol: Images of Mini Coopers a la The Italian Job spring to mind

Oxfordblues

Why do these vehicles always have fuzzy, illegible number plates? Is it to protect the idiots' identity?

nickswift99

Why do these vehicles always have fuzzy, illegible number plates? Is it to protect the idiots' identity?
A hobby exists involving members of the public writing down numbers of vehicles on the railway. This is clearly an attempt to frustrate them collecting all the instances of this class.

notverydeep

A hobby exists involving members of the public writing down numbers of vehicles on the railway. This is clearly an attempt to frustrate them collecting all the instances of this class.
Perhaps a heritage railway will host this Transit as visiting traction on an upcoming diesel gala…

Benjwri

Established Member
Sat navs sometimes deliberately guide their users down a longer route to their destination so that they can gather accurate data on how long that route takes. There are always multiple routes between two points and sat navs need to display to their users how long each of those routes will take. It is by occasionally picking a random user as a "guinea pig" that they gather that data.
As much as some people like to theorise this every now and then, there is no evidence or admission that this happens. However what does happen in a fair few systems is a objectively longer route will be offered, under the principle that while for one user the route is quicker, if everyone took it the route becomes the longer one.