• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wordle

Lewlew

I know it worked fine, I meant I wonder what they’re doing tomorrow now they’ve used all the stations up.
Oh I see! I assumed it had been running for longer than 272 days and would just roll over

Edit: It has indeed carried on

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonbridge

Established Member
Yes, assuming they’ve used all 272 it would appear they’re just recycling stations.

Crossover

Established Member
What do people think of todays Wordle (#659)? (Naturally, without giving too much away for the next 22 or so hours!)

Dr Day

Wasn't a word in my lexicon, but English is a dynamic language so maybe one for the 'you know you're getting old' thread?

cb a1

When something has laser-like qualities, then it's probably just a matter of time till this happens.

dangie

Established Member
Wifey finally got it after about an hour of pondering. Agree with Acey I thought it an abbreviation, but for what I don’t know.

Acey

Wifey finally got it after about an hour of pondering. Agree with Acey I thought it an abbreviation, but for what I don’t know.
Believe it to be an old USA Army expression ! Situation normal all F----d up "

Gloster

Established Member
Got it on the fourth after a couple of minutes, partly because of the vague hints here that there was something odd about it. It was also because I had been lucky and reduced the possible combinations in the two previous lines: first letter correct, second letter must be second or third and last must be fourth or last. There weren’t many words that seemed to fit those possibilities.

My feeling is that it is one of those acronyms that have gradually become a word.

Calthrop

Established Member
I got it in five (via a bit of a botch, realised too late). Another message board which I frequent, has a thread on which half-a-dozen-plus participants, daily report how they've done on Worldle, with comments as seen appropriate. Re this word, on there: two Australians, one Brit, and a person of nationality unrevealed; indicated a dim view taken of the choice of word. (The Brit wasn't me -- I have no quarrel with it.)

cb a1

There is the viewpoint that an acronym is by definition a word.
If you say the initials, like BBC or FBI, then it's an initialism.
When the initials are said as a word, like laser, lol, awol, nasa, then it's a acronym.

Calthrop

Established Member
"Stare" seems to do the job more-than-adequately for me: two much-used vowels, three ditto consonants.

cb a1

STARE is also my starter word. If necessary, followed by CLOUD and sometimes PINKY.
Max streak is 209. I've failed 6 times in 461 games.

Calthrop

Established Member
When STARE yields no "functional" letters, my preferred second go-to word is one which I like for its sheer strangeness; learnt from a fellow-participant on the message board which I refer to upthread. This chap -- a Scot -- often comes up with strange words. My acquisition from him, is CHOIL: which I've discovered to mean "the indentation in a knife where the edge of the blade adjoins the tang; the point at which the cutting edge ends". I find this splendidly mad !

I'm not all that good at Wordle; but have some grand fun with it.

Gloster

Established Member
My regular starter is ‘notes’. If there is nothing or just an E in the wrong place, it is followed by ‘prick‘ or ‘price’. If just an S in the wrong place it is ‘spray’.

MotCO

Established Member
What are your average scores? I tend to get it within 4, with next best score 5. I have even managed to get it in 2 once!

Jimini

Established Member
4 is my most regular score as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.png
    IMG_0747.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 11

Calthrop

Established Member
I don't keep a detailed record -- mind not wired that way -- but 4 and 5 are my commonest results. Since beginning to do the game, I've got every other; except getting the word in one -- "Genius " ! Have totally failed on a more-than-tiny number of occasions; particularly through being regrettably rather given to -- when "in the toils" -- giving up and deliberately "throwing" it by just entering obviously wrong words to exhaust all six, and be told what the word was.

Gloster

Established Member
Mostly I get it in four or five, sometimes three and twice, once a few days ago, in two. If I get to six or fail it is usually when I have four letters correct but several options for the last (?edge: hedge/ledge/sedge/wedge is a not very example) and choose the wrong one.

stuart100100

I've been starting with Aisle recently and tend to get it in 3 or 4*. It helps with words starting with vowels as I tend to forget about them and try and put vowels in the middle

* (apart from yesterday's drama when I got to my sixth attempt and just randomly threw together what letters I had left until it went green)

Cdd89

Established Member
I get to six or fail it is usually when I have four letters correct but several options for the last (?edge: hedge/ledge/sedge/wedge is a not very example) and choose the wrong one
The strategy in this situation is to try a word that contains all the candidate letters. So in the above example you could try “howls” to identify the missing letter.

Of course this wouldn’t work in hard mode, where you’re committed to your valid letters.

londonbridge

Established Member
Yes, assuming they’ve used all 272 it would appear they’re just recycling stations.
Bump re Metrodle, Safari suddenly giving me a “this connection is not private” warning and advising me not to visit the site, only started doing this today. Dunno if the certificate, etc, has expired.

Jimini

Established Member
Bump re Metrodle, Safari suddenly giving me a “this connection is not private” warning and advising me not to visit the site, only started doing this today. Dunno if the certificate, etc, has expired.

All OK on Google Chrome (here anyway).