• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Working 2-3 days week in London - Season Ticket Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
It's looking like I'll need to travel down to London, Farringdon from Crewe 2-3 times/week, travelling down around 7am and returning from 1730 onwards. Not the world's best commute.

I won't know until the week before when I'll be travelling or even if I'll be travelling at all, which does seem to rule out advances.

The travel will be to help me ease into a new role with a new team and due to politics in the company I can't stay overnight but will have my rail fare covered, even if this is more expensive. (Let's not worry about the pros and cons of this, it is what it is and won't be changing this side of Christmas)

If I'm travelling at least 2 days in a week, it looks to me that a 7-day season ticket at £380 (inc Zones 1-6) is the best bet, as the anytime return is £261. The company is paying, but I would get a couple of brownie points if I can bring the cost down, or if there's the same spend that will give me a little more flexibility for other travel in the region.

Any advice welcome - other than find another job!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Crewe - Milton Keynes 7 day season £178.70
Combine with a Milton Keynes - London Zones 1-6 Anytime Day Travelcard (route Virgin West Coast) costing £37.20 (no need for the train to call at MKC)

Using a monthly season rather than a weekly would yield a further saving (also buy an odd period monthly up to your last working day before Christmas).

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Thanks @Hadders There may even be scope for 1st class travel with that split.

Fortunately, I won't be travelling every week so anything more than a weekly season won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.