• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Journeys to make in Extreme Heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambsy

On Moderation
I think the worst journeys to make in extreme heat, on Monday and Tuesday, could be EMR’s Norwich to Liverpool, as its run by 158’s, with non working air conditioning, with low line speeds and through hottest parts of the UK.

Another definite contender is the Central line in London, as it's notorious for getting stupidly hot.

I know there will be lots of bad travel experiences during the extreme Heat, but the ones I mentioned could well be some of the most unpleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Pwllheli to Birmingham International. Same problem as above with the 158s, and it doesn’t get very fast on the Cambrian Coast so even if the windows are open, you won’t get much air coming through. I did it three years ago on a 158 with failed aircon, and it was horrific.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
On an enthusiast 'track bashing' excursion in Mark I stock. Although having some opening windows these can turn into an oven when stationary. Obviously there are a lot of long waits in various obscure loops, up freight only lines and so on. They are usually booked to be 'full', at least in terms of seats taken and some patrons have (shall we say) non-mainstream opinions about the importance of personal hygiene and regular laundry.

philthetube

Established Member
Mods, I know there is thread on disruption etc due to the heat, but thought interesting to look at individual journeys, so feel free to combine with other thread. I think the worst journeys to make in the Extreme Heat, on Monday and Tuesday, could be EMR’s Norwich to Liverpool, as its run by 158’s, With non working ac, with low line speeds and through hottest parts of the UK, then another definite contender is the Central line in London, as its notorious for getting stupidly hot, I know there will be lots of bad travel experiences during the Extreme Heat, but the ones I mentioned could well be some of the most unpleasant.
Although the Central line does get stupidly hot it will not be massively affected by this weather, it is a gradual heat build up which is the problem, not a couple of days of heat.

pitdiver

I wouldn't fancy inspecting an Escalator machine room next Monday or Tuesday. I had to some years ago when it was about 28 up top.
The Duty Stn Manager who accompanied me insisted I wore full uniform including a cap.
As a matter of interest anybody on here working on LUL next week. What is management suggesting regarding dealing with the heat?

MisterSheeps

Anything on a Pacer ... used to commute Marple to Manchester Oxford Road, the tiny windows & heating on (presumably to keep the engines from melting) was not pleasant on a hot day.
Did a tour of Scunthorpe steel works in an old DMU coach pulled by a 'kettle' on a roasting day, windows sealed for safety, no draughts, you go past iron transporters ('torpedos') & pause while a huge slab of white hot metal is squished alongside of you ... hugely impressive, is free, give a donation (run by Appleby Frodingham Rail Preservation Society), ... i recommend a cloudy cool day :lol:

I would say some sort of long distance CrossCountry Voyager journey, particularly if it is overcrowded. Despite them having 'climate control', I've always found them to be very warm trains.

Established Member
Anywhere on a class 376. Rubbish ventilation and tiny windows…

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
The direct Nottingham to Carlisle Sundays only service operated by Northern. Four and a half hours each way on a 158!

thenorthern

Established Member
Once I went from Crewe to Lancaster on a Class 221 and the coach was empty but the vestibule area was crammed. When I got on at Crewe I wondered why and it turns out the air conditioning was broken in that coach and the heat was unbearable.

Windows that open on trains are like sunroofs in cars in that they have been replaced by air conditioning. The Air conditioning is much better but when it fails you are screwed.

Tubeboy

I wouldn't fancy inspecting an Escalator machine room next Monday or Tuesday. I had to some years ago when it was about 28 up top.
The Duty Stn Manager who accompanied me insisted I wore full uniform including a cap.
As a matter of interest anybody on here working on LUL next week. What is management suggesting regarding dealing with the heat?
Drink plenty of water, stay out of the sun and apply sun cream. I’ll be sitting in the office with the air con switched on to the max.

Portsmouth to Ryde Pier on the Wightlink Fast cat about 15 years ago when it was 30°C + having just climbed off a nice air conditioned train at Portsmouth Harbour. Very unpleasant with the lack of ventilation and perspex style windows making it unbearably hot and then the sea crossing....

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Anywhere on a class 465/466, Class 376, Class 455, Class 360 or the Victoria Line. All unbearable in the heat.

Established Member
Anywhere on a class 465/466, Class 376, Class 455, Class 360 or the Victoria Line. All unbearable in the heat.

465s way better than 376s in that respect. 0/1 (BREL) variants also have aircraft style directional air vents above the seats - as I type this one is blowing cool air in my direction!

EDIT: and class 360s have pretty good aircon?

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
May I nominate Exeter to Okehampton.

It's quite far south; it's a 150, so no AC; it doesn't get up to a particularly high speed, so not much ventilation from the windows; it's only 2 cars so you're more likely to be crammed in - and in addition to this, at the start of each journey, it will have had a lovely half-hour layover baking in the hot sun at Exeter Central, where the tracks aren't under cover.

Silver Cobra

My experience of travelling on a Class 91/Mark 4 service out of Kings Cross on the day of the current record daytime temperature (25th July 2019) where the air conditioning had failed in the heavily-loaded carriage was extremely unpleasant. The situation not aided by being stuck outside of Stevenage for around 15-20 minutes due to the backlog of trains caused by the wires coming down near Werrington Junction. In comparison, the Class 700 I changed onto when I finally got out at Stevenage was absolutely blissful with it's fully-working air con.

I don't know how well the air conditioning system on the Mark 4s is maintained these days, but I certainly would not want to travel in one with no working air con this week with how it will be even hotter than that day in 2019.

Peter0124

Established Member
London Euston to Glasgow Central, because it's likely the track will buckle or the OHLE comes down.

Really though, any long journey without air con and smaller hopper windows eg the 320s.

Class 466

Established Member
Although the Central line does get stupidly hot it will not be massively affected by this weather, it is a gradual heat build up which is the problem, not a couple of days of heat.
It's already like an oven down there (well it was today!)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Suggesting for whom?

There will be TSRs (Temporary Speed Restrictions) implemented on open and composite sections from Monday mid morning. On many lines this shouldn’t affect the service although reduced service expected on the Met given the higher than average speeds combined with the longer distances.

Trackman

Established Member
Suggesting for whom?

There will be TSRs (Temporary Speed Restrictions) implemented on open and composite sections from Monday mid morning. On many lines this shouldn’t affect the service although reduced service expected on the Met given the higher than average speeds combined with the longer distances.
Also I guess free water bottles will be handed out at some stations too.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Trackman

Established Member

pitdiver

H
Suggesting for whom?

Suggestions to staff on ow to deal with the heat

Status
Not open for further replies.