• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrightbus to offer full range of Hydrogen Buses (including Artics) from 2021...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
8Jj5vqM.jpg

It would appear Wrightbus are proposing to offer a full Hydrogen range including Articulated vehicles from 2021....

J13D6pK.png

http://h2bus.eu/offering.html
Buses

Hydrogen buses have completed more than 12 million kilometre of service over a 15 year period. In this time, they have achieved an availability in excess of 98%. The market is now ready for the next generation. Wrightbus has worked with its suppliers, namely Ballard Power Solutions and Hexagon, to expand its product offering for a European audience. This will include a 12-meter single-decker, double-decker and articulated fuel cell electric bus. These buses will be state of the art. Our offering is the ideal substitute for fossil based solutions without compromising range, operational ability or cost.

• The H2Bus is manufactured by Wright Bus, a bus manufacturer from North Ireland.

• The H2Bus will include Ballard fuel cells and onboard Hexagon hydrogen storage tanks.

• The H2Bus are ready for delivery from 2020, while the articulated will be ready from 2021.

• The basic bus range exceeds 450km. This can be increased to more than 675km with an extended range option.
  • Buses can be refuelled in five to seven minutes at Everfuel/Ryse refuelling stations.
  • Exploiting heat produced by the fuel cell increases the efficiency of the system. This avoids the need for an auxiliary diesel heater – truly zero-emission

Service and maintenance

The H2Bus maintenance will be organised by Wrightbus to meet the customer’s demands. The maintenance package will be available at 0,30€/km. This program will ensure that a complete stock of spare parts for these buses are held and managed in each country. This will consist of the standard and drivetrain components. Wrightbus will commit to delivering these components to your depot in a timely manner.

This program will also deliver training for staff at the operator’s depot. This will ensure a smooth transition and will allow transit technicans to be qualified to conduct maintenance for these hydrogen buses. This is further described below.

Hydrogen fuel

The consortium will also offer an affordable and reliable supply of green hydrogen straight to the operators depot. Nel Hydrogen will supply electrolysers and hydrogen stations while Hexagon will supply hydrogen trailers needed to make the hydrogen value chain complete. Everfuel and Ryse Hydrogen will install and operate the complete hydrogen value chain equipment and offer dispensed hydrogen at bus depots. Ryse Hydrogen is responsible for executing these actions in the UK, while Everfuel will execute them in mainland Europe. This hydrogen will be;

• Produced from renewable and low cost electricity at centralized hydrogen logistic centers.
  • Transported to the bus operators depot via high capacity hydrogen trailers.
  • Priced at parity with diesel on a per kilometer basis - €5/kg to €7/kg depending on the local conditions and bus fleet size

Ensuring a smooth transition

With hydrogen fuel cell electric bus fleet sizes growing, premium support services are readily available from experienced support personnel. This ensures the safe and reliable operation of these buses with maximum operational uptime. Ballard and Wrightbus conduct extensive bus and product training to ensure the transit bus operator’s technicians become experts in their field and can confidently provide services of the highest quality. Training for the transit bus operator’s technicians can take place at Wrightbus’ facilities in Northern Ireland, at Ballard’s European headquarters in Denmark, or the operator’s depot. Training is validated through testing that provides an assessment of the technician’s skills related to product knowledge, preventative and corrective maintenance, and troubleshooting. For the adoption of any new technology into operation, a mobilization period must always be considered. With Ballard’s training program and the local support team, this mobilization period will be very smooth and effective.

The articulated option is interesting, with First Aberdeen's artics up for replacement within the next year or two and the councils clear ambition for Hydrogen Buses these would seem ideal replacements, especially since normal sized deckers are too small for the route and tri-axle deckers are unsuitable for parts or two low in capacity too.

It seems the future is bright for Wright....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
A good, if not entirely unexpected, move. It will be interesting to see the industry reaction.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A good, if not entirely unexpected, move. It will be interesting to see the industry reaction.

Agreed, perhaps trying to enter the EU market too given that the sketches show LHD vehicles. And the single decker appears to be in the BVG colours.

A330Alex

For operators without some sort of zero-emissions commitment, is there a great appeal from hydrogen? After all Euro VI satisfies all LEZ/ULEZ standards and you're not saving on fuel costs if it's the same price as diesel. I'd imagine set-up costs would be very steep if you don't have some sort of grant.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
For operators without some sort of zero-emissions commitment, is there a great appeal from hydrogen? After all Euro VI satisfies all LEZ/ULEZ standards and you're not saving on fuel costs if it's the same price as diesel. I'd imagine set-up costs would be very steep if you don't have some sort of grant.

It's a bit of a niche right now but i do believe Hydrogen will be the future, even beyond Electric Cars it'll be Hydrogen as it's just far more efficient. The real issue at the moment is the lack of proper infrastructure and costs. I'd assume Wright will also have diesel options to compliment.

Certainly i can see Aberdeen showing interesting. (We already have 15 deckers due imminently).

Man of Kent

The H2Bus consortium pre-dates the failure of Wrights, the information on the website has not been changed since. However, Jo Bamford's Ryse Hydrogen was one of the other partners, so this may have been a motivation in setting up Bamford Bus.

cnjb8

Established Member
It looks like from the photos that the single and double deck can be ordered now

borage

In theory there are lower running costs associated with having fewer moving parts, and the lack of engine vibrations wearing out components. But the huge upfront costs are off-putting.

cnjb8

Established Member
There's already double deck variants (Model: Streetdeck FCEV) built with 35 due for Aberdeen and London imminently.
Yes, I forgot about them. Reading the article, it says single and double deck are available for delivery from 2020

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yes, I forgot about them. Reading the article, it says single and double deck are available for delivery from 2020

Ours were due in November according to the MD, however with the issues at Wright that's obviously been delayed.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder if First will order any. Here at Glasgow we’ve not had any articulated vehicles since the B7LAs and B10LAs left for Aberdeen and that’s going back a bit now. I always liked the B10LAs on the 62. It would be cool to see some back but sadly I don’t see it in Glasgow. The hydrogen singles look interesting though as do the deckers and with LEZ looming in 2022, perhaps we could see some of these instead of the E200MMC. I always like the Wright design but First have gone with ADL for Glasgow in recent years.

cnjb8

Established Member
I wonder if First will order any. Here at Glasgow we’ve not had any articulated vehicles since the B7LAs and B10LAs left for Aberdeen and that’s going back a bit now. I always liked the B10LAs on the 62. It would be cool to see some back but sadly I don’t see it in Glasgow. The hydrogen singles look interesting though as do the deckers and with LEZ looming in 2022, perhaps we could see some of these instead of the E200MMC. I always like the Wright design but First have gone with ADL for Glasgow in recent years.
I wonder if Leeds will order them too

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Wrightbus had to do something like this if they were to re-establish themselves as a player again. I hope Bamford and co are prepared for a long game, with development costs that may never be repaid if they've got it wrong. I don't believe they have, and they could even be no.1 again if the operators get behind hydrogen: that'll take a lot more public money, but then we've got a P.M. who claims to be interested in buses. We'll see whether that proves true!

BBC

Bristol won’t as the gas bus revolution is about to begin !

radamfi

Established Member
but then we've got a P.M. who claims to be interested in buses. We'll see whether that proves true!

Forget Britain. Seriously, what is the chance of Britain becoming a trail-blazer for Hydrogen when investment in buses has been minuscule? Their best hope is that they can get orders from outside the UK. But can they make a sufficiently high quality product that will be attractive to the European market?

ClydeCoaster

Agreed, perhaps trying to enter the EU market too given that the sketches show LHD vehicles. And the single decker appears to be in the BVG colours.
According to the H2Bus website the first targeted roll out is the UK, Denmark and Latvia - the last 2 must have projects in the pipeline as they appear rather random. They then claim Norway, Sweden and Germany with 1000 in operation by 2023!! That’s an over ambitious target, to say the least.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
According to the H2Bus website the first targeted roll out is the UK, Denmark and Latvia - the last 2 must have projects in the pipeline as they appear rather random. They then claim Norway, Sweden and Germany with 1000 in operation by 2023!! That’s an over ambitious target, to say the least.

It's not over ambitions when you look at the bigger picture. 2023 is 3 years away so split between 6 countries that's only roughly 55 buses per year. Very much achievable. If it wasn't for the issues at Wright it's very likely that number of Hydrogens would've been delivered this year.

ClydeCoaster

For a new market entrant into Europe with an as-yet still novel fuel source, from a manufacturer piecing itself back together from administration, with a diminished reputation on build quality, I still maintain it's very ambitious.

1123 electric buses were registered in western Europe in 2019, with BYD and VDL each registering 205, both established players. CNG buses notched up 1030. Hydrogen fuel cell registrations in 2019 were...1. So to get from zero to 1000 in 3 years from one manufacturer, I'll only be convinced when they actually do it.

ChrisPJ

Hydrogen is in effect still at prototype stage as far as buses are concerned. Infrastructure relating to the fuel is massively expensive and so are the vehicles, no way is it going to be close to commercially viable any time soon.

How many diesel buses registerd in Europe, to give the electric and gas figures some context?

ClydeCoaster

How many diesel buses registerd in Europe, to give the electric and gas figures some context?
Over 9000, which makes alternative driveline buses hitting 10% of the market, which is double 2018 when it was 5%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.