• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

written off classs 66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Which one? There were at least 3 66's I can think of from the top of my head that have been broken up.

2 of them went for dramatic slides in poor weather in scotland and ended up ditched as a result. The Eddie engine that spent some time painted black while it was repeatedly sold on and carted around for fun was one of them. That was 66 048 and could be the loco you are thinking of, while 66 734 suffered a similar fate and was broken up where it landed.

Then of course 66 521 which had a head on arguement with a derailed GNER 225 set causing both to come to grief. It languished out of sight in (doncaster or crewe) before being disposed of. 66526 was ordered as a replacement and named after the driver lost in the disaster. Meanwhile GNER named the training school in Newcastle after their driver which NXEC, DOR and VTEC have honoured.

pdeaves

Established Member
Which one? There were at least 3 66's I can think of from the top of my head that have been broken up.

66 734 suffered a similar fate and was broken up where it landed.

Then of course 66 521 which had a head on arguement with a derailed GNER 225 set causing both to come to grief. It languished out of sight in (doncaster or crewe) before being disposed of.

Snakeeyes did say the one stripped at Eastleigh, so that eliminates some of the possibilities (66521, 66734)

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
To remove the Stobart Rail colours.

in a nutshell....

same as planes that are mothballed in Nevada, or where they were involved in an incident, especially a hull loss incident which didn't already destroy the company logo. Often the branding is covered up to remove the association of the firm from the incident or condition of the vehicle concerned.

Go back to 1990, and for the same reason, NSE were getting pivved off that locomotives painted in their colours or otherwise sponsored by NSE were being used for intercity or (perceived worse) civil engineer i.e mundane shovelling of ballast wagons around the south east duties. Hence why only LL liveried locos were used, or otherwise the laira blue of 19 and 37 adopted along with the introduction of grey and dutch liveries.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Subject to the usual legal and insurance wrangling which can take many years, spare parts and razor blades....

The destroyed driving car from 165 115 sat at Derby for some time emulating flatpack for accident investigation purposes while 365 526 remained parked up in a depot for many years until the legal processes were completed when it became target practice material for the militaty in Cumbria. bear in mind also the remains of Pan Am 103 where the explosion occured still standsattached to chicken wire at AAIB in Farnborough while the rest of it is kept in a scrapyard in Cambridge. It cannot be disposed of until the legal wranglings between Lybia, Scotland and the US are completed - bearing in mind this was 28 years ago - meanwhile said scrapyard is earning 800 notes a month....

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Snakeeyes did say the one stripped at Eastleigh, so that eliminates some of the possibilities (66521, 66734)

To be fair all 3 have been carted around the country in various bits and states while getting what remains of their carcasses stripped of useful bits. As I understand it the engine from 734 is in Evening Star which is how they got around emissions regulations to build it! No doubt the other two engines will be in the spares pool somewhere too. Given the number in traffic I am suprised there have been only these 3 reported losses in 16 years which when compared to the number of 47s that were lost in that same period of time goes to show not only the durability and reliability of the class but also of the improvements in railway safety over the last 50 years

Status
Not open for further replies.