• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC HST Failure... Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

willas00

It appears XCs HST from last week which failed at Bromsgrove was out today on the 0610 EDB to PLY when it failed near Sheffield.

It got into Birmingham 79 late and was replaced by a 221 Voyager.

I'm guessing that maybe the XC HST sets are not maintained properly? I never see much of EMT or FGW having problems with there HSTs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
I'm guessing that maybe the XC HST sets are not maintained properly? I never see much of EMT or FGW having problems with there HSTs.

Sorry to be harsh, but seriously, that is quite stupid comment.

XC have 5 HST sets, so when one fails, it is going to be more noticeable.
EMT have that much slack in their MML fleet its unbelievable.
FGW also has a massive fleet

TEW

Established Member
Problems on XC are always going to be exaggerated because of the small fleet, one failure is lots when you only have five HST's but one failure out of around fifty sets isn't noticed so much.

Failed Unit

Established Member
They are maintained by east coast who don't have a problem with their fleets. Perhaps they never fixed the fault in the first place - it happens. Likewise the set could be a dog.

route:oxford

Established Member
Aren't these units running on minimum mileage as they will be due major overhauls fairly soon?

MCR247

Established Member
Not really anymore, they are all diagrammed to be in use (not at one time!)

TEW

Established Member
I heard that the necessary overhauls were eventually carried out, and it was only on two coaching stock sets.

willas00

Sorry to be harsh, but seriously, that is quite stupid comment.

XC have 5 HST sets, so when one fails, it is going to be more noticeable.
EMT have that much slack in their MML fleet its unbelievable.
FGW also has a massive fleet

From my point of view I think it's noticed more because the XC HST set seems to be a very popular choice...

tbtc

Veteran Member

Are East Coast's HSTs badly maintained (since they have had an EMT one on loan)?

Are EMT's badly maintained because they shunted one into another a few months ago?

RobShipway

Established Member
You have to remember that some of the XC HST trains have MK3 carriages that have been converted from loco hauled coaches, meaning they were not originally designed to be part of an HST set and were put together as a make do effort.

Darandio

Established Member
You have to remember that some of the XC HST trains have MK3 carriages that have been converted from loco hauled coaches, meaning they were not originally designed to be part of an HST set and were put together as a make do effort.

I would like to think that the people paid well for this were pretty competent in what they were doing. :idea:

RobShipway

Established Member
I would like to think that the people paid well for this were pretty competent in what they were doing. :idea:

I was not saying that the people that put it together were not competent, just that given the situation you are bound to see some troublsome issues from time to time which is what is being noticed about the XC HST fleet.

Freakofnature

cant XC use a spare HST considering they only have 4 diagrams?

It depends where the spare set would be I guess

If the train failed in Birmingham and the spare set was at Leeds/Edinburgh then it would be quicker to get a train from the depot at Derby

Pumbaa

Established Member
Are East Coast's HSTs badly maintained (since they have had an EMT one on loan)?

Are EMT's badly maintained because they shunted one into another a few months ago?

The EMT one is covering an EC HST covering a MK4 diagram for refresh with the kitchen. With the Eureka timetable change, the HST is expected to move to EC permanently. Negotiations ongoing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I heard that the necessary overhauls were eventually carried out, and it was only on two coaching stock sets.

Correct - C6 on two sets, and lighter C4s on the other three to make a uniformed entry into service for a higher workload TT.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Problems on XC are always going to be exaggerated because of the small fleet, one failure is lots when you only have five HST's but one failure out of around fifty sets isn't noticed so much.

The crux. EMT have 3 sets laying spare every day, even with one out on loan.

I would suggest that the increased workload may be taking its toll as every set is now out far more, but the reality is any XC HST failure will be well noticed.

mumrar

Established Member
43384 failed today with an AWS fault, 43303 failed last week with a brake problem. Sometimes it isn't down to poor maintenance and is down to components failing.

All 5 sets were refurbed to the same standard by Wabtec, where on Earth the 'only 2 sets were done' comes from I don't know.

XC operate 4 HSTs daily, and the spare set will be at Craigentinny because that is where it is maintained. So if one fails, that's 25% of the HST fleet down the pan. So it is obviously more noticeable.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think the two sets overhauled refers to the c4(?) exam required on the two ex-mml sets.

Gmac

The HST will be maintained properly at EC who have been doing heavy maintenance on HST for years. Only problem i can see is XC not providing sufficient funds for spares etc

Status
Not open for further replies.