• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

xc hst

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
How will these be replaced and when. What might this mean for voyagers as something will have to be done about their length. Dft replacement?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, I think the IEP is supposed to be the replacement isn't it?

Probably, but seeing the ECML and GWML are both in line to get them first its probably a bit early to be talking about what is going to happen on XC. Especially as we don't really know what's happening with IEP on ECML and GWML yet!

387star

On Moderation
Well what about midland mainline electrification has this been dropped? We now know hsts wont be life extended so...

mumrar

Established Member
Well what about midland mainline electrification has this been dropped? We now know hsts wont be life extended so...
I do believe that the MML electrification was one of the first things to be announced as cancelled by the new "don't blame us, blame Labour" coalition government at the spending review.

MCR247

Established Member
Even though it's a lot easier to electrify the MML but there you go...

route:oxford

Established Member

Well, won't officially be life extended - but you can be sure that they'll be sold off to the highest bidder.

The highest bidder may choose to scrap them... Or they could "Chilternise" the best of the Mk3s and further life extend the 43s.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
the FGW are getting life extended arnt they to continue to do the Devon and Cornwall runs? with IEP Bi mode doing rest?

Zoe

Established Member
the FGW are getting life extended arnt they to continue to do the Devon and Cornwall runs? with IEP Bi mode doing rest?
They were refurbished in 2006/2007. If they are to remain in service in 2020 though, due to disability discrimination regulations modifications will be needed.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen. The TOCs would rather have a straight EMU/DMU then an expensive and complex Bi-Mode IEP.

Out of interest how are the SNCF Bi-Mode AGCs doing, I understand they had issues at the start but are they bedding in OK?*

*Mind you a lot of SNCF units seem overly complex - case in point is the 2 coach railcar with *SIX* engines (4 for traction and 2 for hotel power) - http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_72500

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I do believe that the MML electrification was one of the first things to be announced as cancelled by the new "don't blame us, blame Labour" coalition government at the spending review.

I don't think it was that straight forward. The original NR electrification strategy made the GWML and MML both high priorites. Then Labour decided to jump in and announce that the GWML and NW would be done first, and MML would go on the back burner.

The ConDems then said they'd review whether of not the MML was actually the better choice, but then confirmed they'd basically carry on with Labour's plans.

I don't think it is really possible to say that the MML has been 'cancelled' under those circumstances. Various road schemes have definitely been formally cancelled, but you can't cancel a project that has never been announced IMHO.

387star

On Moderation
I thought electrification was to be announced this year for mml? And the voyagers will clearly need lengthening or replacing. Iep would make sense. The current refurbishments are only meant to last a decade

Status
Not open for further replies.