• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC reservation displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
CrossCountry responded:

"Hi ****** ******, your seat reserv,<snip>

Wow, that's professional communication there, what happened to Dear Mr, Ms etc?

If I wrote an email like that to someone who I didn't coerce with frequently, I'd be ashamed of my mistake. Complete lack of etiquette from XC there.

(Oh and it's not just me, the IET, IMechE, and InstMC all state that Dear XXX should be used in emails, I know none of these are the IoCRMS but it still sets an example)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jbb

Does anyone know why the seat reservation system on virgin trains is so slow?

Often they announce that the reservations are still "downloading". A process which seems to take a very long time, plus when the signs update they seem to do so very slowly, taking about 10 minutes for them all to update.

I would have thought that 50KB of data was sufficient to update all of the signs, and even if there are 1000 of them, even a very slow system could manage 10 a second or so meaning they should all update in a minute or two at most.

The technology behind the system seems rather poor.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
CrossCountry responded:

"Hi ****** ******, your seat reservation is still valid when the displays aren't working. If you have any problems the on board staff members are there to help you."

A seat "invisibly" reserved !?! Only some kind of machine can think this makes sense.
This is indeed XCs policy, it has recently come to light. Invisible reservations indeed.

I suggest anyone who does not like the idea of buying a walk-on ticket and being forced to move out of your seat at every single station stop, contacts XC Customer Relations to express their surprise and disappointment at such a policy.

I am not aware of any other TOC having such a policy!

Perhaps ATOC can be contacted asking if they have the right to do this? I'd suggest they should have ORCATS money taken off them as they are effectively telling walk-up passengers they are not welcome and not entitled to a seat.

Minilad

Established Member
This is indeed XCs policy, it has recently come to light. Invisible reservations indeed.

I suggest anyone who does not like the idea of buying a walk-on ticket and being forced to move out of your seat at every single station stop, contacts XC Customer Relations to express their surprise and disappointment at such a policy.

I am not aware of any other TOC having such a policy!

Perhaps ATOC can be contacted asking if they have the right to do this? I'd suggest they should have ORCATS money taken off them as they are effectively telling walk-up passengers they are not welcome and not entitled to a seat.

I didn't think anyone was entitled to a seat without a seat reservation. On any TOC. You pay for transit. Not a seat

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I didn't think anyone was entitled to a seat without a seat reservation. On any TOC. You pay for transit. Not a seat

On XC, apparently, you are entitled to sit in an empty, unmarked seat, but are then expected to to get up and move when someone gets on with a reservation that you are completely unaware of.

I find this completely unacceptabe, and I will be writing to XC Customer Relations as yorkie has suggested.

And if I get a reply beginning with Hi, I shall be making a further complaint ;)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If I wrote an email like that to someone who I didn't coerce with frequently, I'd be ashamed of my mistake.

:o coerce?

Are you sure about that - surely you meant converse, or was this a ridiculous auto correction made by a PC or phone?

Minilad

Established Member
I was under the impression that seats that could be booked under the 10 min reservation policy all stated "This seat could be reserved"

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was under the impression that seats that could be booked under the 10 min reservation policy all stated "This seat could be reserved"
That is correct, although I'm not sure on the exact wording, but it's something along the lines you have quoted. However ''Ten Minute Reservations'' only apply to a small number of seats in one coach.

The issue here is regarding where the electronic reservation system is not working properly, and every single seat on the entire train[1] displays a "This Seat May Be Reserved" message, or the screen is simply blank.

[1] Bar those that don't have numbers and therefore cannot be reserved, or in Coach B (where it exists), of course

Minilad

Established Member
That is correct, although I'm not sure on the wording. However ''Ten Minute Reservations'' only apply to a small number of seats in one coach.

The issue here is regarding where the electronic reservation system is not working properly, and every single seat on the entire train[1] displays a "This Seat May Be Reserved" message, or the screen is simply blank.

[1] Bar those that don't have numbers and therefore cannot be reserved, or in Coach B (where it exists), of course

Well then the problem isn't with the 10 min reservations as all seats that are reserved wouldn't show up.
Having said that it is a barmy system :lol:

Zoe

Established Member
Couldn't a system be used where the guard marks a seat unoccupied and available for reservation?

Nym

Established Member
Dear Nym,

I write further to your recent post on RailUK.

I believe you miss the point of social media.

Yours sincerely,

AlterEgo.

Dear AlterEgo,

With reference to my previous message, I fear you may have missed the point of what I was on about. I was not referring to the communication methods used in modern social media applications. Merely to the fact that if one is representing a company or organisation; that a professional writing style should be used, even on the likes of Facebook.

I do not entirely miss the point of social media. However, I do object to the use of social media reducing the professionalism of communications from companies that should no better and communicate in a professional manner. These unprofessional communications can only damage the company's reputation, although in such an environment of franchised oligopolies, no choice is available; I would still like to see one writing a letter or communication regarding a franchise statement to the DfT (Department for Transport) with such 'social media' style wording.

Yours sincerely,

Nym MIET AMIMechE

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What, so you're saying that someone who makes contact with a train company via Facebook (social media) should get a formal response straight away?

You're welcome to your opinion but I can say that the prevailing opinion amongst the public is quite the opposite.

I can assure you that receiving a response saying "Hi (first name)..." when making contact via a social media medium is the prevailing etiquette. Check out a few TOC Facebook pages to see what I mean.

Obviously, if you prefer a more formal method of communication, then use a more formal medium, such as writing an email or letter.

Nym

Established Member
Thing is though, I have written emails or letters and gotten back a similarly informal response, even when my email was in formal terms, so it's evidently not confined to Social Media.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thing is though, I have written emails or letters and gotten back a similarly informal response, even when my email was in formal terms, so it's evidently not confined to Social Media.

I'm sure you're right, but we were talking about Social Media.

I agree that if you write or email, then a more formal response is appropriate. However, etiquette is a rather fluid thing! It used to be the done thing in Roman times to belch fortuitously during a meal, and publicly vomit thereafter!

Minilad

Established Member
I'm sure you're right, but we were talking about Social Media.

I agree that if you write or email, then a more formal response is appropriate. However, etiquette is a rather fluid thing! It used to be the done thing in Roman times to belch fortuitously during a meal, and publicly vomit thereafter!

I take it you don't frequent kebab houses after pubs and clubs have kicked out as it quite clearly still applies there

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

You are correct, but I didn't mean that. I meant no entitlement to remain seated if you find a seat that is unoccupied and unreserved. It's the norm that if you find such a seat you won't expect to be unexpectedly asked to vacate it as its invisibly reserved.

Minilad

Established Member
You are correct, but I didn't mean that. I meant no entitlement to remain seated if you find a seat that is unoccupied and unreserved. It's the norm that if you find such a seat you won't expect to be unexpectedly asked to vacate it as its invisibly reserved.

Ah gotcha. Well you certainly would be happy if asked.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

Indeed. The axe that I have to grind concerns an occasion when the electronic displays were not working at all.

Well then the problem isn't with the 10 min reservations as all seats that are reserved wouldn't show up.
Having said that it is a barmy system :lol:

It certainly is a barmy system. In theory the 10 min reservation idea is not that bad, but in practice, given the fact that the displays system is rubbish, it just does not work.

I certainly do not expect to be turfed out of a seat when the electronic system is nto working, or when the paper reservation labels are not put out. It is a common understanding in every other tOC that when there are no reservations displayed (in whatever form) the train is unreserved and passengers sit wherever they can. You often get apologies on FGW when they have not put the labels out due to a delayed incoming train and a short turn round.

I am amazed that XC consider it acceptable to allow reservation holders to evice other passengers from seats when there is no way at all for anyone to know whether that seat is a reserved one. Have they not considered the chaos in everyone with an advance ticket or seat reservation having to play musical chairs when one person gets on andd ecides to claim the exact seat they have reserved, causing a knock on effect down the train as everyone tries to move into the seat they have on their reservation coupon?!

I don't think that the people who dream these things up have ever travelled on their own company's trains! :lol:

wintonian

Established Member
A 5% refund !! How generous ....

Thats 5% more than they have to, the only obligation is to refund the cost of the reservation if it is not or cannot be honoured and guess how much most people these days pay for their seat?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I don't think that the people who dream these things up have ever travelled on their own company's trains! :lol:

Funny - I think there is more than a grain of truth in that. Clearly something like this has been implemented by somebody who hasn't consulted the staff who actually work on their trains, at least.

exile

Established Member
All of this debate seems to be from the point of view of the passenger evicted from "their" seat. Well, if you have a reservation, it's "your" seat. You may have reserved your seat to ensure your family sits together, or you need to sit owing to age or infirmity. You're entitled to claim that seat though of course it's up to the on-train staff to sort out any dispute.

6Gman

Established Member
Thats 5% more than they have to, the only obligation is to refund the cost of the reservation if it is not or cannot be honoured and guess how much most people these days pay for their seat?

That may be so, but if I'm travelling (say) Burton to Plymouth, and have gone to the trouble of reserving a seat, I'd feel pretty ***** off to end up standing!

[Actually on my last long journey with AXC our reservations had vanished without trace]

wintonian

Established Member
That may be so, but if I'm travelling (say) Burton to Plymouth, and have gone to the trouble of reserving a seat, I'd feel pretty ***** off to end up standing!

[Actually on my last long journey with AXC our reservations had vanished without trace]

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas, nor do they get compensation and I bet they get pretty ****ed off. :)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
All of this debate seems to be from the point of view of the passenger evicted from "their" seat. Well, if you have a reservation, it's "your" seat. You may have reserved your seat to ensure your family sits together, or you need to sit owing to age or infirmity. You're entitled to claim that seat though of course it's up to the on-train staff to sort out any dispute.

I don't agree, though of course I would give up any seat for someone who was elderly and/or infirm.

My point is that if the TOC fails to mark seats as reserved, on every other company it is accepted that the entire service is unreserved. Most passengers on XC accept that this is the case, it is the company policy that seems to be out of step.

It is quite clearly not right to inconvenience other passengers (many of whom have their own reservations but have been unable to sit there due to not wanting to evict others) by moving everyone around the train. Most peopel realise this, but some appear to be so focused on 'their rights', they cannot see the result of their actions.

As AlterEgo has said, it is the staff have to sort all this mess out on a regular basis due to the hopelessness of the electronic system. I really feel for them and the position they have been put in by their useless superiors.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I agree, but this annoyance should be taken out on the company for failing to provide the service, rather than other passengers who don't know which seats are reserved!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
though of course I would give up any seat for someone who was elderly and/or infirm.

Hopefully you'd also be compassionate towards a family. It can cause great upset if young kids have to be separated from their parents, while slightly older kids will be more likely to misbehave if not controlled at close range.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Hopefully you'd also be compassionate towards a family. It can cause great upset if young kids have to be separated from their parents, while slightly older kids will be more likely to misbehave if not controlled at close range.

Yes, indeed, I would swap seats to allow a family with small children to sit together. I would not split myself and my family up to allow a single traveller to sit in the exact seat they have reserved, when there are lots of other individual seats available.

Unfortunately, there are so few table seats around now that I'm sure it would often be difficult to persuade someone who is sitting at one working, to move to an airline style seat to let a family sit there instead. That is, of course, if the family were lucky enough to reserve one in the first place.

Bear in mind that this is only where the reservations are not displayed. In normal circumstances I would not usually sit in a reserved seat and if I do sit in a reserved seat that is claimed I will move staright away, with full apologies. I do try and avoid them though, which is probably partly why I feel aggrieved if reservations are not displayed. It really isn;t fair on those with reservations, or those without.

Status
Not open for further replies.