• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC services allocated for Double Voyagers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
I did see a 4 + 5 leaving Leeds an hour or so ago. Looking at RTT this would have been 1V62 Newcastle to Bristol. Never seen a 4 and a 5 coupled together before.

Rich McLean

Established Member
They are not planned to on paper, but 4 and 5 car Voyagers in practice are treated as a Common fleet, so a double voyager could be 4-4, 4+5 or 5+5 on the same diagram, different days of the week.

lammergeier

2x5 shouldn't happen as there are stations and platforms on the route which are 9 car only and voyagers don't have SDO. Chesterfield is one, there are a few more as well.

I've been at XC for years and I've never had a 10 car aside from ECS.

Established Member
2x5 shouldn't happen as there are stations and platforms on the route which are 9 car only and voyagers don't have SDO. Chesterfield is one, there are a few more as well.

It does happen occasionally, but as you say very rare indeed.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It does happen occasionally, but as you say very rare indeed.

This is a screenshot of Journey Check. This was empty on Saturday despite the same number of trains running. Ignoring the Cardiff turns, HST workings and an odd delay, the following are doubles:

11:06 Edinburgh to Plymouth
13:45 Bournemouth to Manchester
14:27 Plymouth to Edinburgh as far as Newcastle
15:35 Bristol to Edinburgh as far as Newcastle
16:15 Reading to Manchester
16:27 Manchester to Bournemouth
16:45 Bournemouth to Manchester

All I could see on Saturday at a similar hour was one HST turn, maybe two, and one or two disrupted services.

Screenshot_20200617-182309_Chrome.jpg

Established Member
This is a screenshot of Journey Check. This was empty on Saturday despite the same number of trains running. Ignoring the Cardiff turns, HST workings and an odd delay, the following are doubles:

11:06 Edinburgh to Plymouth
13:45 Bournemouth to Manchester
14:27 Plymouth to Edinburgh as far as Newcastle
15:35 Bristol to Edinburgh as far as Newcastle
16:15 Reading to Manchester
16:27 Manchester to Bournemouth
16:45 Bournemouth to Manchester

All I could see on Saturday at a similar hour was one HST turn, maybe two, and one or two disrupted services.
All it means is that it wasn't updated over the weekend. Not really that surprised with less staff in control.

6026KingJohn

Bristol Temple Meads, May 2016. 1125 Plymouth-Dundee (with second set Bristol-Newcastle) Sorry for the poor screen captures, unable to attach MVI file. 221127 & 221132 (I think)BRI 2016.jpgBRI 2016 2.jpgBRI 3.jpg

Last edited:

lammergeier

Bristol Temple Meads, May 2016. 1125 Plymouth-Dundee (with second set Bristol-Newcastle) Sorry for the poor screen captures, unable to attach MVI file. 221127 & 221132 (I think)View attachment 79825View attachment 79826View attachment 79829

The fact you found an example from 4 years ago doesn't negate my post. It shouldn't happen in normal service because it causes problems at the 9 car platforms. I didn't say it can't happen, just that it shouldn't and I've personally never had a ten in service, because it's rare (but clearly not unheard of).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Looked at Journey Check once yesterday around mid-afternoon and only one double was reported - think it was a Bristol to Edinburgh or vice-versa. The other reports were HST diagrams and a slight delay to one train.

The usual array of doubles today as XC are still only running just over half of services.

43 302

Established Member
I had 221120+221132 Oxford to Coventry last July but iirc none of the coaches were locked OOU. 1M58 6/7/19. Can 10 car voyagers run on the Bournemouth to Piccadilly diagram or am I just remembering incorrectly?

Established Member
I had 221120+221132 Oxford to Coventry last July but iirc none of the coaches were locked OOU. 1M58 6/7/19. Can 10 car voyagers run on the Bournemouth to Piccadilly diagram or am I just remembering incorrectly?
10 car is fine on that route IIRC.

Established Member
Looked at Journey Check once yesterday around mid-afternoon and only one double was reported - think it was a Bristol to Edinburgh or vice-versa. The other reports were HST diagrams and a slight delay to one train.

The usual array of doubles today as XC are still only running just over half of services.
Again, there were at least 3 yesterday. All of which were on journey check.

6026KingJohn

The fact you found an example from 4 years ago doesn't negate my post. It shouldn't happen in normal service because it causes problems at the 9 car platforms. I didn't say it can't happen, just that it shouldn't and I've personally never had a ten in service, because it's rare (but clearly not unheard of).
I quite agree with you, I also thought it wasn't supposed to happen. The only reason I could find these pictures quickly is because this is the only time I have ever seen a 10 car XC Voyager, although living in the Trent Valley I have seen many West Coast ones. I showed the photos to my neighbour (a now retired XC driver) and he hadn't seen any either so it must definitely be very rare.

Established Member
Out of interest where are the 9 car platforms? The only places I can think of that have short platforms are stations in Cornwall which doesn't get double sets.

lammergeier

Out of interest where are the 9 car platforms? The only places I can think of that have short platforms are stations in Cornwall which doesn't get double sets.

Chesterfield and Burton are two that spring to mind, generally the Scotland trains are booked to call at Chesterfield and every other one will call at Burton, so it does cause problems if a ten car pops up.

Edit to add: The new platform at Chesterfield is ten car I believe but obviously it creates pathing issues, particularly for northbound trains, if a train not booked to use the platform has to use it.

Established Member
Totnes can only take an 8 car Voyager. Remember Voyagers dont have any form of SDO so if any doors of a coach hang off you need to lock them manually and if you lock both end doors of an end car then you need to lock out the coach.

Established Member
Totnes, Chesterfield, Edinburgh*, Haymarket, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Leamington Spa, Bath Spa, Motherwell, Paignton, Torquay, Burton, Weston SM, Wolverhampton*

*Certain platforms that have regular booked XC services.

Most stations in Cornwall, and North of Edinburgh are too short for 8,9 or 10 cars. Also a lot of smaller non usual stops are too short for 10. As are diversion route stations.

Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Reading and Doncaster also have platforms that can cause issues if not signalled correctly as a 10 car.

Established Member
Chesterfield and Burton are two that spring to mind, generally the Scotland trains are booked to call at Chesterfield and every other one will call at Burton, so it does cause problems if a ten car pops up.

Edit to add: The new platform at Chesterfield is ten car I believe but obviously it creates pathing issues, particularly for northbound trains, if a train not booked to use the platform has to use it.
Both are local to me. Mind you Chesterfield isn't obvious because EMR call with 10 car 222's with at least one southbound journey on weekdays.

Totnes, Chesterfield, Edinburgh*, Haymarket, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Leamington Spa, Bath Spa, Motherwell, Paignton, Torquay, Burton, Weston SM, Wolverhampton*

*Certain platforms that have regular booked XC services.

Most stations in Cornwall, and North of Edinburgh are too short for 8,9 or 10 cars. Also a lot of smaller non usual stops are too short for 10. As are diversion route stations.

Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Reading and Doncaster also have platforms that can cause issues if not signalled correctly as a 10 car.
Defiantly a lot more than I thought, thank you. Some are a little surprising like Haymarket and Motherwell as Avanti call at both with 221's and 390's.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Manchester may lose some doubles next week onwards due to the extension and resumption of North East to South West and North East to South Coast services respectively, albeit the latter on a reduced route and frequency. At present Manc receives roughly a double every other hour, though this is an average and there can be consecutive hours of doubles and a couple of hours gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.