• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC services allocated for Double Voyagers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Hope this trend continues into the weekend. Would be idiotic to only put singles on when weekdays have produced doubles.

Veteran Member
So it did take a matter of seconds then. For what it is worth it took well over an hour and a half to look it all up manually between trains at work, to provide the diagrams. If people want the info then there needs to be a bit of give and take.
As I said, your work is appreciated - I was replying to someone else, but I didn't realise you were having to access the info by individual searches.

agbrs_Jack

All great having double sets until they remove Congleton calls by stealth (with no good reason - doubles are more than capable of calling with the rear unit remaining locked).
Who's betting the intention is to never reinstate them too....

That and as soon as I start commuting to Birmingham again it'll be back to cramped 4-coach services.

Established Member
with no good reason - doubles are more than capable of calling with the rear unit remaining locked).
Thus entirely defeating the point of having a double set in the first place!

All the removed stops will be reinstated once the full timetable returns.

agbrs_Jack

Thus entirely defeating the point of having a double set in the first place!

All the removed stops will be reinstated once the full timetable returns.

Half a train calling is better than no train calling... It's still more capacity given that they can unlock both sets at every other station it stops at. And they've been doubles a while, why only just remove the call last week.

I certainly hope you're right.

Established Member
Half a train calling is better than no train calling... It's still more capacity given that they can unlock both sets at every other station it stops at. And they've been doubles a while, why only just remove the call last week.

I certainly hope you're right.
There are also other reasons for the removal of the Congleton calls. Same as Chesterfield, Winchester and others.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
There are also other reasons for the removal of the Congleton calls. Same as Chesterfield, Winchester and others.

Shall we create a new thread for station calling patterns, as it crops up a fair bit on various threads relating to train diagrams? Or can mods provide a link to one please? It's a very interesting discussion to which I would like to add my part.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The Cross Country services right now with only just over half of routes running and a lot of double sets out, is reminiscent of the days when the Voyagers had been introduced but before the clockface timetable which I believe they called Operation Princess.

baza585

Winchester seems a strange one to me. Much busier than Southampton Parkway (SOA), particularly given the airport is more or less shut. What is the reason for Winchester being omitted?

XC victim

Does anyone know if all the Bournemouth/ Reading to Manchester Pic are currently formed of double sets. I saw a single 4 car set this morning but didn’t know if it was diagrammed like that or if it was due to a set being unavailable

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Does anyone know if all the Bournemouth/ Reading to Manchester Pic are currently formed of double sets. I saw a single 4 car set this morning but didn’t know if it was diagrammed like that or if it was due to a set being unavailable

More or less since the ex-West Country to Manchester and return isn't running at present so frees up a half dozen or so sets.

Oh how I wish all Manchester arrivals could be doubles even when there are 2tph!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
After a period of doubles, it appears that all Manchester services are single units today.

Is that a one-off given that they're only coming from Eastleigh today?

Established Member
After a period of doubles, it appears that all Manchester services are single units today.

Is that a one-off given that they're only coming from Eastleigh today?
Is there any restriction on terminating at Southampton Airport? Say a siding but there doesn't look like there is one. My only other guess is balancing stock at the end of the day or having the crew for the second set.

There also seems to be some regular single set diagrams on the South West - North East/Scotland service.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there any restriction on terminating at Southampton Airport? Say a siding but there doesn't look like there is one. My only other guess is balancing stock at the end of the day or having the crew for the second set.
Yes, there’s a serious restriction. It isn't a signalled move, and involves running wrong direction from Eastleigh to Parkway down the up line. The move uses pilotman working to ensure only one train in section at a time.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Singles again today on the Manchesters. Running to and from Southampton and Reading so don't see why they can't be doubles.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Singles again today on the Manchesters. Running to and from Southampton and Reading so don't see why they can't be doubles.

Because there is a national lockdown with no need for the capacity (and more importantly the expense) of running double voyagers today.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Because there is a national lockdown with no need for the capacity (and more importantly the expense) of running double voyagers today.

There are a few doubles on the North East side today. Obviously that route sees a few HSTs too. Might as you say be a bit of cost-cutting. Be interesting to see what the coming weeks throw up on the Manchesters.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
There are a few doubles on the North East side today. Obviously that route sees a few HSTs too. Might as you say be a bit of cost-cutting. Be interesting to see what the coming weeks throw up on the Manchesters.

the ‘railway’ currently needs every last bit of realistic cost cutting it can find.

Sprinter150

Could it be down to today’s (and last Sunday’s) diversion via Nuneaton, as reversal required there to use Trent valley?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Could it be down to today’s (and last Sunday’s) diversion via Nuneaton, as reversal required there to use Trent valley?

Didn't think to check RTT for the routing not realising that they're reversing in the place where food may not be consumed!

Seem to be all doubles again on the Bournemouth to Manchester route during the week (but not on recent Sundays). Possibly demand is less as there will be little weekending away (or back home for students) right now.

Established Member
Seem to be all doubles again on the Bournemouth to Manchester route during the week (but not on recent Sundays). Possibly demand is less as there will be little weekending away (or back home for students) right now.
Or it could be as quoted above due to the recent booked engineering works.

Status
Not open for further replies.