• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC train host jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marie Taylor

Hi just wondering if anyone done the online assessments for the first class train host jobs with XC Newcastle? I applied a few month ago and you done the assessment at the interview, this time you had to do them online and the maths was really hard not basic, anyone know why its so difficult for this position.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hi just wondering if anyone done the online assessments for the first class train host jobs with XC Newcastle? I applied a few month ago and you done the assessment at the interview, this time you had to do them online and the maths was really hard not basic, anyone know why its so difficult for this position.

Probably because maths is a big part of your role?

Probably because maths is a big part of your role?

Two reasons:
maths and english are good barometers of general levels of intelligence.
Hosts use tills and handle cash. You need to be able to operate and sell food in times of system failure when ur tills are down. If you can't do that and end up losing a load of cash and stock, someone's head will be on the block.

Minilad

Established Member
Two reasons:
maths and english are good barometers of general levels of intelligence.
Hosts use tills and handle cash. You need to be able to operate and sell food in times of system failure when ur tills are down. If you can't do that and end up losing a load of cash and stock, someone's head will be on the block.

XC First class hosts don't sell anything nor do they operate tills.
But yes, maths and English are good barometers of a general level of intelligence

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
XC First class hosts don't sell anything nor do they operate tills.
A mate of mine is a First class host at XC and he says they occasionally get asked to cover Retail Service Manager jobs and can also be called up to cover for unavailable RSMs when spare or as rest day working. So there would be cash handling duties undertaken, albeit not every day.

To the OP, see this previous thread on the subject, in particular post 5 - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/crosscountry-first-class-host.144293/

Minilad

Established Member
A mate of mine is a First class host at XC and he says they occasionally get asked to cover Retail Service Manager jobs and can also be called up to cover for unavailable RSMs when spare or as rest day working. So there would be cash handling duties undertaken, albeit not every day.

To the OP, see this previous thread on the subject, in particular post 5 - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/crosscountry-first-class-host.144293/

I was under the impression that they only do that if suitably trained and they don't have to undergo that training if they don't want to.
Most do as it enables some overtime at weekends but by no means all of them do

Jonfun

Established Member
All First Class Hosts can (and are contractually required to) work Retail Service Manager shifts unless medically restricted.

Status
Not open for further replies.