• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Train Managers Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick82

Could anyone provide me any information or links regarding the Train Managers assessments for Cross Country, does this include interview or will that be the next stage after the assessments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick82

Also out of interest, does anyone on here work for or know anyone who does work for XC as I am curious how often they recruit drivers internally

Jonfun

Established Member
Also out of interest, does anyone on here work for or know anyone who does work for XC as I am curious how often they recruit drivers internally

They've never recruited trainee drivers internally and despite occasional rumblings they were going to at one point, don't look like they ever will. If another company were to get the franchise, that may of course change in the future.

Nick82

They've never recruited trainee drivers internally and despite occasional rumblings they were going to at one point, don't look like they ever will. If another company were to get the franchise, that may of course change in the future.

So they have and will continue to recruit qualified driver only from other TOCS/FOCS and not promote Train Managers ect. May I ask how do you know this information.

WCMLaddict

Because of their conditions, qualified driver jobs at XC are the ones most desired in the industry IMO, much more than at 'awesome' Virgin.
No need to train anyone if qualified drivers would fight for these positions...

Nick82

Because of their conditions, qualified driver jobs at XC are the ones most desired in the industry IMO, much more than at 'awesome' Virgin.
No need to train anyone if qualified drivers would fight for these positions...

Industry IMO?
How come these are sort after?

notadriver

Established Member
I think IMO means in my opinion.

They are sought after because the salary of a Cross Country driver approaches £60k.

What sort of job are you after ? Guard or driver ?

Nick82

I think IMO means in my opinion.

They are sought after because the salary of a Cross Country driver approaches £60k.

What sort of job are you after ? Guard or driver ?

I want to be a driver, I passed my assessments earlier for DB but as we know there recruitment is on hold, now I am waiting for a train drivers vacancy but between now and then since I work on the railways unsure if too bide my time or go conductor.

Also I am curious since the Metro in the North East is part of Arriva, could you move from the Metro to XC as a qualified driver, use it as a stepping stone?

Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member
Some people say if you really want to be a driver focus on getting that job. My opinion and it is only an opinion is that getting any job on the railway can only make things easier for you to go driving as vacancies tend to be advertised internally first.

It is possible to move from metro to mainline as they are treated as qualified drivers but XC do have their pick of main line drivers some of whom may have more experience and route knowledge than a metro driver (just my opinion)

Nick82

Some people say if you really want to be a driver focus on getting that job. My opinion and it is only an opinion is that getting any job on the railway can only make things easier for you to go driving as vacancies tend to be advertised internally first.

It is possible to move from metro to mainline as they are treated as qualified drivers but XC do have their pick of main line drivers some of whom may have more experience and route knowledge than a metro driver (just my opinion)

Metro drivers are not classed as qualified drivers though I am lead to believe, they are a drivers grade as with a Depot driver but both a Metro Driver and a Depot Driver would still have to apply for a trainee drivers position. That is to my understanding.

notadriver

Established Member
I'm sure where was someone on the forum that said a metro driver was taken on as a qualified driver at another toc.

Last edited:

Nick82

I'm sure where was someone on the forum that said a metro driver was taken on as a qualified driver at another toc.

I know the T&W Metro had a lot of drivers who transfered across to the Metro from the old BR days. Maybe that was how. All I know is individuals have moved from the T&W Metro to other TOCS/FOCS put they had too to trainee driver school. East Coast and Northern Rail do not recognise them as qualified.

I AM CURIOUS IF ANY DTM'S FROM ANY TOC/FOC ACTUALLY ACCESS THIS SITE AND CAN COMMENT ON THE ABOVE. SOME SAY YOU CAN OTHERS SAY YOU CAN NOT?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone on this forum attending the XC assessment day or can anyone provide information on the present and explain scenario

Last edited:

CGS

I know the T&W Metro had a lot of drivers who transfered across to the Metro from the old BR days. Maybe that was how. All I know is individuals have moved from the T&W Metro to other TOCS/FOCS put they had too to trainee driver school. East Coast and Northern Rail do not recognise them as qualified.

I AM CURIOUS IF ANY DTM'S FROM ANY TOC/FOC ACTUALLY ACCESS THIS SITE AND CAN COMMENT ON THE ABOVE. SOME SAY YOU CAN OTHERS SAY YOU CAN NOT?
Anyone on this forum attending the XC assessment day or can anyone provide information on the present and explain scenario

A couple of drivers have gone from Metro to Grand Central in recent years. Also I know of one who went to DB freight.

Nick82

Has anyone experienced this...

Assessment day for XC, 9 candidates all getting through both assessments then the group exercise. Only to be told by HR, your not good enough as we are looking for someone special to be part of our fantastic team and unfortunately no one will be going through to the interview stage, bearing in mind 2 candidates were internal
Qualified

You cant join mainline TOCs from the Tyne & Wear Metro. I have done some research over last few weeks and I have been informed that the Metro is a light railway and is not recognised as a qualified drivers role to transfer. Apparently a load of people have this miss conception that you can use it as a stepping stone but this is incorrect. They also have a lower pass grade on the train drivers assessment, so you could pass for the Metro but fail for other TOCs

Jonfun

Established Member
Has anyone experienced this...

Assessment day for XC, 9 candidates all getting through both assessments then the group exercise.

If someone had passed both assessments and the group exercise they'd get the interview. It may well be that the ones who "passed" the group exercise failed the test and vice versa.

Established Member
Has anyone experienced this... Assessment day for XC, 9 candidates all getting through both assessments then the group exercise. Only to be told by HR, your not good enough as we are looking for someone special

Yes. Of 8, all 8 got through. XC have done that before, and speaking to three other candidates who sat the assessment the supposed 'helpful feedback' from XC consisted of 'the responses you gave at interview were not specific enough'.

- utterly priceless, given that four of the eight candidates were all employed by intercity TOCs as TMs/Conductors/COLs/Guards.

When asked to elaborate, Paul Moran from XC ignored the reply.

Nick82

Yes. Of 8, all 8 got through. XC have done that before, and speaking to three other candidates who sat the assessment the supposed 'helpful feedback' from XC consisted of 'the responses you gave at interview were not specific enough'.

- utterly priceless, given that four of the eight candidates were all employed by intercity TOCs as TMs/Conductors/COLs/Guards.

When asked to elaborate, Paul Moran from XC ignored the reply.

These guys did not get an interview. Just got told they were not good enough for XC and wont be progressing to the interview, so too that end your all unsuccessful. Guys profiles were updates to unsuccessful within 30 mins of leaving the assessment centre and one guy was apparently pulled to one side and ushered into another office.
These guys did not get an interview. Just got told they were not good enough for XC and wont be progressing to the interview, so too that end your all unsuccessful. Guys profiles were updates to unsuccessful within 30 mins of leaving the assessment centre and one guy was apparently pulled to one side and ushered into another office.
Theres also rumours it was a tick in the box exercise with no intention to recruit, dont know how true that may be.

North East App

Theres also rumours it was a tick in the box exercise with no intention to recruit, dont know how true that may be.

Was this at Newcastle Station by any chance? I have been told I have an assessment on the 24th November.

Status
Not open for further replies.