• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager Refurbishment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Does anyone know yet what 12 Avanti sets out of 221101-221118 are destined for XC?

We had the near perfect 125mph diesel train on our network since 1976 A ground breaking, proven design that just needed a few tweaks to bring it into the 21st century. If they had used the successful HST concept to create a modern all electric or bi-mode “HST2” then we’d be far better off as passengers rather than suffering Voyagers or AT300’s, but of course we as a country don’t really design or build our own trains like we used to, we just assemble and fit out the awful, tacky, AT300’s, CAF units etc. Grey is a lovely colour if you want to imitate being stuck in the bowels of a submarine Personally, I find it drab and lacking imagination which can’t be said for the hideous proposed external colour scheme
Grey is used by Chiltern and was used in the Mk3b and M4 1st Class when new. It's hardly a new thing and has got nothing to do with who designs or builds trains.

Maybe the DfT dictates the seats will be grey, so they are all the same....
Well, they will all be the same given that all the XC Voyagers are being refurbished...

Ryry

Have any units gone for refurbishment yet is so which ones

Noted a class 170 and 220 are wearing cross-country pride livery

dk1

Veteran Member

As of last month a bidder for the work had been identified but no contracts signed. Hopefully the first unit will be started later in the year and all complete sometime in 2027.

GoneSouth

They may not have started the contract for refurbishment but quite a few of the lights had been replaced in the unit I was on a couple of days ago. Vestibule lights replaced and the under luggage rack small strips along the whole coach now worked and were a uniform warm white colour. Didn’t test the individual Reading lights. If they do the centre lights to it’s amazing how much difference that makes, apart from the fact that it will highlight how threadbare the carpet is of course :)

This can’t come soon enough for me, looking forward to riding in something with windows you can see through, carpet that still has thread and lighting that’s warm and welcoming.

dk1

Veteran Member
A couple have definitely been stood down. I know 115 is one. Although I don’t believe they’ve started the new lease.

AFAIK apart from anything Avanti have chosen to stand down it’s only the two that went off lease last year and found a temporary new life with GC that are earning a living with anyone else.

class 9

None. They haven’t been released by Avanti yet have they?
I believe they're off lease, they are at Central Rivers Depot and de branded, first 3 to enter service with XC is at the start of the summer timetable.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I believe they're off lease, they are at Central Rivers Depot and de branded, first 3 to enter service with XC is at the start of the summer timetable.

Does that mean a couple more booked double workings?

irish_rail

On Moderation
Does that mean a couple more booked double workings?
Plenty of 4 car sets on in the south west today. Probably not great with the massive passenger numbers we are seeing this weekend. Meanwhile I witnessed two 8 car sets at Reading earlier, so we now where the capacity is today!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Plenty of 4 car sets on in the south west today. Probably not great with the massive passenger numbers we are seeing this weekend. Meanwhile I witnessed two 8 car sets at Reading earlier, so we now where the capacity is today!
A 5 car on the 1124 Manchester to Bournemouth left people behind at Stockport yesterday.

AirRail

Noted a class 170 and 220 are wearing cross-country pride livery
I thought it was mentioned the interior refurb work was starting by October this year?

I'm presuming it's once they have enough of the ex-Avanti fleet in full service.

irish_rail

On Moderation
Where it is most needed?
The longer route. Standing for under an hour on the Reading route is preferable than expecting standees for 3 hours plus on the Plymouth route. And the fact it seems to be so many 4 car sets, not sure where the 5s have gone ?

Trainman40083

The longer route. Standing for under an hour on the Reading route is preferable than expecting standees for 3 hours plus on the Plymouth route. And the fact it seems to be so many 4 car sets, not sure where the 5s have gone ?
And when you think XC used to run half hourly on most routes, you really wonder where the units are Okay, some are double sets.

irish_rail

On Moderation
And when you think XC used to run half hourly on most routes, you really wonder where the units are Okay, some are double sets.
Indeed, but I think there seems to be quite a few double sets these days on the Bournemouth route so this is perhaps what is swallowing up the sets.

1715 from Cheltenham (ex Plymouth) was a 9 car set today.
Unfortunatley the front 5 were locked out (presumably due to lack of staff) and everyone was crammed into the back 4.

Plus nobody had bothered to warn the waiting passengers, cue 8 minutes delay as everyone (including mobility impaired and those with luggage) had to traipse down the platform and find space to board!

Really seems daft that other TOCs will allow passengers in a unit with the driver the only crew (and in many cases, no crew at all), but XC won't!

Anonymous10

Established Member
Unfortunatley the front 5 were locked out (presumably due to lack of staff) and everyone was crammed into the back 4.

Plus nobody had bothered to warn the waiting passengers, cue 8 minutes delay as everyone (including mobility impaired and those with luggage) had to traipse down the platform and find space to board!

Really seems daft that other TOCs will allow passengers in a unit with the driver the only crew (and in many cases, no crew at all), but XC won't!
Worse case wouldn't you use the 5 car set as the one in use and lock the 4 out? So as to mean there additional capacity.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
You have a Exeter-centric view on all routes. You also say Paddington Plymouth deserves the bulk of the 9 car IETs. I can’t help seeing it as bias.

Trainman40083

From Derby, Real-time trains suggests that train was only 4 carriages. Almost wondered if it was an empty set move back to Central Rivers.