• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyagers Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCub

Travelling through Leicester today, I was surprised. When I lived in the area, the line to Birmingham was served by 156s and 158s with the occasional 150. Today, on the local stopping service, there was a full voyager. It only just fit into the platforms at South Wigston and Narborough.

Is this stock normal on this route now, or some Sunday working oddity?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Qwerty133

Established Member
Not normal, but also not the first time.
Not been sprinter operated however for 10+ years now (except for the 18:52 from New Street and return until 2007).

LowLevel

Established Member
They're short of senior conductors who work the normal 170s so a 220 has been out as a replacement today instead.

Martin_1981

Voyagers have been known to appear occasionally on Birmingham-Leicester local services since the XC franchise commenced in 2007. They can only work as far as Leicester though, they are not cleared for beyond Leicester, therefore they cannot work a Stansted service. They use the Birmingham-Leicester line anyway when Scotland-West Country services are diverted when Brum-Derby via Burton is closed.

Minilad

Established Member
Why. It's highly unlikely they will ever be needed to work past Leicester on a regular basis so there is no real need to jump through the hoops to get them cleared. They can't run into Stansted because of platform length and diesel fume issues so in reality there is little point. Added to that the fact that no TMs sign East of Leicester so they would have no one to work them without having expensive training to do means it is a non starter

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Are there still differential speed restrictions east of Leicester? If so Voyagers probably couldn't keep to the 170 timings anyway. It's unlikely there would be any major site work needed to clear them if somebody wanted to, as they are basically the same dimensions as 170s, and Meridians are cleared at least as far as Manton. But it costs money even if it's just paperwork.

Martin_1981

If Voyagers are ever cleared beyond Leicester, I expect that would only be if there was to be a stock cascade and the Voyagers replaced the 170's on these diagrams. But, something would have to displace them from the long distance XC services first and I can't see that happening for quite some time.

Kite159

Veteran Member
If Voyagers are ever cleared beyond Leicester, I expect that would only be if there was to be a stock cascade and the Voyagers replaced the 170's on these diagrams. But, something would have to displace them from the long distance XC services first and I can't see that happening for quite some time.

A 220 has less standard class seating than a 3-car 170.

Only thing I can think if Virgin (West Coast) orders additional EMUs to release the 221s which run under the wires (Euston - Birmingham/Edinburgh) to XC who can then cascade 220s to replace some 170s (Cardiff - Nottingham springs to mind as a potential candidate)

Martin_1981

Only thing I can think if Virgin (West Coast) orders additional EMUs to release the 221s which run under the wires (Euston - Birmingham/Edinburgh) to XC who can then cascade 220s to replace some 170s (Cardiff - Nottingham springs to mind as a potential candidate)

This would make sense.

muug1982

Tonight it looked like the 17:48 Leicester to Birmingham (origin Stansted) had a set swap at leicester as there was a Voyager at the South end of P4, with an empty 170 behind it. The 17:48 is the ex Stansted service that calls all stations (excl Water Orton)

Have never seen that before, only Voyagers operating the Birmingham - Leicester locals.

Minilad

Established Member

If XC get back the remaining 221s I would be almost certain they would go to strengthen existing Voyager services rather than replace 170s
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tonight it looked like the 17:48 Leicester to Birmingham (origin Stansted) had a set swap at leicester as there was a Voyager at the South end of P4, with an empty 170 behind it. The 17:48 is the ex Stansted service that calls all stations (excl Water Orton)

Have never seen that before, only Voyagers operating the Birmingham - Leicester locals.

220030 worked two Birmingham - Leicester trips today
1552 BHM-LEI
1527 SSD-BHM (from LEI)
1852 BHM-LEI
2018 LEI-BHM

Due to SC shortage

Class 170101

Established Member
There has also been stock availability issues with the Class 170s due to refurbishment and some involved in accidents with cars at level crossings. Therefore Voyagers have been covering Birmingham to Leicester (Nottingham also?). As a result the XC HST fleet has been worked harder than normal on weekdays for the last few months.
Standard four HST diagrams on Monday and Friday with three on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Don't suppose there are any BHM - LEI Voyagers planned today due to the Burton 170 Incident?

Thanks,
Ross

Qwerty133

Established Member
If XC get back the remaining 221s I would be almost certain they would go to strengthen existing Voyager services rather than replace 170s
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

220030 worked two Birmingham - Leicester trips today
1552 BHM-LEI
1527 SSD-BHM (from LEI)
1852 BHM-LEI
2018 LEI-BHM

Due to SC shortage

Did this lead to the 17:18 LEI-BHM being 60% shortformed like last time this happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.