• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyagers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm sure they had promised to refurbish the Voyagers with new seats. Does anyone have any details on the full scope of the proposed improvements?
That was the Pendolinos not the Voyagers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carlisle

Established Member
you don't need a disabled toilet in almost every carriage.
It’s already been pointed out by someone a while ago on here that originally Virgin cross country had an idea to have another class of coach in addition to first and standard, which is why disabled toilets were fitted throughout .

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It’s already been pointed out by someone a while ago on here that originally Virgin cross country had an idea to have another class of coach in addition to first and standard, which is why disabled toilets were fitted throughout .

Yes, this is correct - there was to be First Class, Standard Class and "Virgin Value class", which was to have been in the end vehicle (hence it having a tighter seat pitch than others) and 3+2!

superalbs

Established Member
Maybe the huge luggage racks that I often see unused should be converted to a lounge sort of area, similar to the one formerly on 442s and 319s? Could be good for big groups sitting in a horseshoe shape?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Maybe the huge luggage racks that I often see unused should be converted to a lounge sort of area, similar to the one formerly on 442s and 319s? Could be good for big groups sitting in a horseshoe shape?

It would be great if they could fit a small buffet counter in there somewhere. ;)

Established Member
Not sure if this a serious suggestion but the downsides should be glaringly obvious.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Unused luggage racks on XC Voyagers? Where?
At least in my experience they are very often quite full, and in busy periods are literally overflowing with bags starting to block the aisle.

mushroomchow

When First Group won the West Coast competition in 2012, cancelled shortly thereafter, I'm sure they had promised to refurbish the Voyagers with new seats. Does anyone have any details on the full scope of the proposed improvements? They probably got agreement from the leasing company so the plans might be sitting on a shelf ready to go for the next WC/XC franchise.

Imagine a Voyager with Siemens 700 seats.

Just imagine.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, this is correct - there was to be First Class, Standard Class and "Virgin Value class", which was to have been in the end vehicle (hence it having a tighter seat pitch than others) and 3+2!

Was it not a class between First and Standard; I thought it was 'Club Class' which would have been in the dual use 2+2 coach.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Was it not a class between First and Standard; I thought it was 'Club Class' which would have been in the dual use 2+2 coach.

This is getting interesting now as I seem to remember 1st Class had already been rebranded as Club Class on the VXC mk2 sets and HSTs before the Voyagers arrived, or is my memory playing tricks here?

dk1

Veteran Member
This is getting interesting now as I seem to remember 1st Class had already been rebranded as Club Class on the VXC mk2 sets and HSTs before the Voyagers arrived, or is my memory playing tricks here?

And the word Voyager class was the title used for some XC summer services. Didn't it inc refreshments or extras?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
And the word Voyager class was the title used for some XC summer services. Didn't it inc refreshments or extras?

That's just jogged my memory yet again! I think it entitled 1st class passengers to a complementary breakfast upon presentation of your ticket at the Mk2 RFB or HST buffet counter. It included a bacon roll, a bowl of cereal, a jug of milk, choice of different croissants and a tea or coffee, there might have been a complementary sandwich offer later in the day too!

Edit: forgot to mention a glass of fruit juice as well.

dk1

Veteran Member
That's just jogged my memory yet again! I think it entitled 1st class passengers to a complementary breakfast upon presentation of your ticket at the Mk2 RFB or HST buffet counter. It included a bacon roll, a bowl of cereal, a jug of milk, choice of different croissants and a tea or coffee, there might have been a complementary sandwich offer later in the day too!

That's it. Always stuck in my memory & within a couple of years appeared again as Virgin gave the 220/221 fleet the same title.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That's it. Always stuck in my memory & within a couple of years appeared again as Virgin gave the 220/221 fleet the same title.

Don't know if you can recall, but when the service went completely to 220/221 operation, the offer became somewhat less generous than it was on the old stock in my mind.

dk1

Veteran Member
Don't know if you can recall, but when the service went completely to 220/221 operation, the offer became somewhat less generous than it was on the old stock in my mind.

No mate. I just recall the advertising & railway media attention for the product offered on longer distance VXC loco-hauled/HSTs.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Voyager was a Standard Class product with a First Class level of service in a dedicated compulsory reservations coach, which I think I recall in the HSTs was the buffet standard coach marshalled the wrong way round to discourage people getting in there unless so ticketed. I half recall it was laid out as all tables, but might be wrong. It was aimed at longer distance journeys and may well not have been sold at all on shorter ones.

Edit: some info here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/intercity-voyager.61237/

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Ah yes, thanks for that, I remember now it was just on VXC HSTs and I think it was only on those that operated to/from Scotland via the WCML from the Southwest/South Coast, and your correct in that it was only available between certain stations e.g. Preston being the last station heading south I think. The complementaries I received were on Manchester-Southwest loco hauled services in what was then designated as Club Class.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah yes, thanks for that, I remember now it was just on VXC HSTs and I think it was only on those that operated to/from Scotland via the WCML from the Southwest/South Coast. The complementaries I received were on Manchester-Southwest loco hauled services in what was then designated as Club Class.

It was pre-VT I believe, though they may have carried it on initially. I think you're right that Voyager (i.e. Class 220/1) First Class was in VT days known as Club to differentiate it from Pendolino "full service" 1st.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

1st class was branded Club Class when the Voyagers originally came in, as you got a different level of service to 1st class elsewhere. It was Virgin trying to be zany. It didn't last.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
It was pre-VT I believe, though they may have carried it on initially. I think you're right that Voyager (i.e. Class 220/1) First Class was in VT days known as Club to differentiate it from Pendolino "full service" 1st.

I'm sure the Club designation came in during the last few years of 47s/mk2s, can't think now but did the Pendos launch on WC services before the Voyagers on XC?

Edit: Well I'll admit that I can't find anything to substantiate the above so perhaps my memory is playing up again :oops:

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I'm sure the Club designation came in during the last few years of 47s/mk2s, can't think now but did the Pendos launch on WC services before the Voyagers on XC?

Pretty sure the Voyagers were in service before pendos , i recall 2003 being the first time i seen a pendo

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Pretty sure the Voyagers were in service before pendos , i recall 2003 being the first time i seen a pendo

Think you're correct there, Although I think they may have used a Pendolino during the 2002 Commonwealth Games on special services though not absolutely certain.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

No, Voyagers were a couple of years earlier. I remember distinctly going and riding the first services when I was still at uni (only just, though), while I definitely had a year or two of 87+Mk3 haulage on the WCML once I moved to MK in August 2001.

dk1

Veteran Member
Think you're correct there, Although I think they may have used a Pendolino during the 2002 Commonwealth Games on special services though not absolutely certain.

That rings a bell. Caught one about then on a peak service out of Piccadilly & spent till Stoke standing under the blue vestibule light. First impressions where not great but the VHF 2008 timetable changed everything.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That rings a bell. Caught one about then on a peak service out of Piccadilly & spent till Stoke standing under the blue vestibule light. First impressions where not great but the VHF 2008 timetable changed everything.

They were just eight car units then were they not?

dk1

Veteran Member
That rings a bell. Caught one aboutbthen on a peak service out of Piccadilly & spent till Stoke standing under the blue vestibule light. First impressions where not great but the VHF 2008 timetable changed everything.
They were just eight car units then were they not?

Oh now you are asking. Was a paltry two trains per hour service that much I do know.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Oh now you are asking. Was a paltry two trains per hour service that much I do know.

Ha ha, it's funny how I'm struggling to remember the way things were on the West Coast just 14-15 years ago, yet going back to the 90s and further I can recall it in much clearer detail!

Status
Not open for further replies.