• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Xmas Day & Boxing Day Rostering and Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonie95

Hi all,
I would like some information on how other TOC’s deal with rostering and additional leave for those rostered to work on Xmas and Boxing Day.

I work for a TOC and have recently checked my payslip with updated Xmas and Boxing Day pay.
As I was rostered to work Xmas and Boxing Day I received an enhanced payment of triple and double pay. Does that mean I am entitled to 2 days extra leave for being rostered to work those days. As other colleagues under the same terms and conditions had Xmas Day and Boxing Day off with full pay for both days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi all,
I would like some information on how other TOC’s deal with rostering and additional leave for those rostered to work on Xmas and Boxing Day.

I work for a TOC and have recently checked my payslip with updated Xmas and Boxing Day pay.
As I was rostered to work Xmas and Boxing Day I received an enhanced payment of triple and double pay. Does that mean I am entitled to 2 days extra leave for being rostered to work those days. As other colleagues under the same terms and conditions had Xmas Day and Boxing Day off with full pay for both days.

I'm north of the border and receive enhancements for Xmas Day and New Years Day.
I worked both and have the choice of 2xpay and 1 lieu day for each of the days or 3xpay and no additional lieu days.

Established Member
Hi all,

No TOCs operate services on Xmas day, and the vast majority don’t on Boxing Day. For operational grades the usual (archaic and unfair) practice is that, if you’re rostered to work, you’re expected to use a day of annual leave for each.

Whether you’re offered additional leave to compensate for working on those days will depend entirely on what’s been agreed with your employer for your particular role, as will whatever enhanced rate of pay you receive.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
If you've worked and been paid, then no, you won't get additional leave.

It'll be part of your overall allowance that you get anyway, as they're statutory days. But you may of course have an allowance of say 32 days, inclusive of Bank Holidays as they're treated as a normal working day on the railway

Edit - if you're on the rather stupid lieu day system, then yes, you'll gain two lieu days for Xmas Day and Boxing Day, as you do with any other bank holiday

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi all,

You’d have to discuss this with your line manager / union / HR.

It would seem that you would get either one of the following:
  • Regular (full pay) but taken as A/L
  • Enhanced pay, and worked shifts.
In this sense 25/26th are just “normal days” that others have taken A/L for; it’s not like it was unpaid leave. This is normally because railway staff have 32(+) days of Annual Leave with the bank holidays rolled into it.

No TOCs operate services on Xmas day, and the vast majority don’t on Boxing Day. For operational grades the usual (archaic and unfair) practice is that, if you’re rostered to work, you’re expected to use a day of annual leave for each.

Some grades are expected/rostered in on Xmas Day & Boxing Day even if there’s no passenger services.

moonie95

So my role required me to work my rostered Christmas Day and Boxing Day, however my terms and conditions comes under the same terms as a grade who was not required to work Christmas Day and Boxing Day. That member of staff who is a different grade to myself had both days off and paid the standard rate.

Surely in fairness as we both are under same terms and conditions I am entitled to 2 days in lieu or 2 days extra leave.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Surely in fairness as we both are under same terms and conditions I am entitled to 2 days in lieu or 2 days extra leave.

Are you of the belief that you are entitled to payment and leave days ? It might be worth re-reading your conditions.

Teddyward

My public holiday options are time + 160% or time + 10% plus a lieu day for working. I get paid the days wage if I’m booked off and if I’m rest day 7 hours flat rate or a lieu day. I do not have to use annual leave for booked off public holidays.

moonie95

Are you of the belief that you are entitled to payment and leave days ? It might be worth re-reading your conditions.
In the terms and conditions it states this:
Bank Holidays

All bank / public holidays (with the exception of Christmas Day and Boxing Day) are to be treated as normal working days and will form part of the working week. In this respect payment will be made for the actual time worked at the standard hourly rate.

Any work carried out between 00:01 on Christmas Day and 23:59 on Christmas

Day will attract a premium of triple the standard hourly rate.

Any work carried out between 00:01 on Boxing Day and 23:59 on Boxing Day will attract a premium of double the standard hourly rate.

I was rostered to work as my grade is more operationally required but the terms and conditions is the same as other grades who were also rostered to work but had those days off paid the normal rate.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
You won't get enhanced pay AND an additional day off.

I strongly suggest that you speak to your union rep. They are going to be able to help you much more than any of us can, as we don't know your specific grade, contract, agreements, Ts and Cs etc.

Your union will, and they'll be able to either explain to you why what's happened is right, or sort it on your behalf if its wrong.

GB

Established Member
Bank Holidays

All bank / public holidays (with the exception of Christmas Day and Boxing Day) are to be treated as normal working days and will form part of the working week. In this respect payment will be made for the actual time worked at the standard hourly rate.

Any work carried out between 00:01 on Boxing Day and 23:59 on Boxing Day will attract a premium of double the standard hourly rate.

I was rostered to work as my grade is more operationally required but the terms and conditions is the same as other grades who were also rostered to work but had those days off paid the normal rate.
Those T&Cs make no mention of enhanced pay AND a day off in lieu. But as above, you’ll need to speak to your own people as no one here will know your specifics.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Bank Holidays

As already stated, you will need to speak to your rep or HR about this (although it is fairly clear in your T&Cs you can't have it both ways).

As all the relevant advice has already been given in this thread, it will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.