• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Xplore Dundee

Bus9120UK

Established Member
BX62 BJZ in new Xplore Dundee livery.

What on earth. This looks much worst than the original concept at the start of the year. I feel the colours do not sit well together in this format.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yorkshireguy

What on earth. This looks much worst than the original concept at the start of the year. I feel the colours do not sit well together in this format.
Couldn’t agree more… Oh dear.

Clearly a standardised livery style is being used to try and create brand cohesion between the business units, but Dundee is a completely separate geographic area, so there’s not any brand value added. Perhaps they’re trying to replicate how Transdev create a relatively recognisable identity despite having lots of different companies and route brandings (e.g. with same font logos, dual-tone liveries using diagonals), but they also operate in one contiguous region and well… they actually look good. None of this standardisation really matters if your buses look less attractive after doing it!

The font (and logo as a whole) is much less impactful and “modern-feeling” (desirable?) than the current iteration. There also seems to be a desire to create icons for each of the business units (e.g. the bluebird, the compass). I’d agree that the colours don’t sit great - on the previous “new” livery, there was a big block of an intermediate shade of green to transition between the light and dark. The livery style seems to work better on single-deckers, so I’m at least holding out some hope. Should be interesting to see if they roll this style out to Inverclyde too.

I feel bad for Ray… he’s done the best he could with the constraints he’s been given there. It’d better just to slap a larger McGill’s logo on the existing livery. What a downgrade from what could have been!

kez19

Established Member

It just looks like the similar styling of the Midland Bluebird livery?

So I’m guessing the other style has been dropped? (style scheme was similar to the 22 route colour scheme but the curves had gone..) post #321 (the twitter link)

I am a bit surprised that Xplore are getting “newish” buses (second hand), is this to make up with buses been spare parts or on the other what Xplore has lost to Midland Bluebird division?

Last edited:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
It was hinted at by a member of McGill's management that the 54 plate B7TLs don't have much longer left in service.

There might not be many Xplore buses on the road in a few weeks anyway, whatever colour they may be, as drivers have voted in favour of strike action: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/dundee/4422331/xplore-dundee-bus-strike-confirmed/

Workers at Xplore Dundee have confirmed they will strike in a dispute over pay.

About 200 people employed by the firm – which is owned by McGill’s – have backed the action.

The impact on the city’s bus services is yet to be confirmed but more details and dates about the action are expected to be revealed in the coming days.

The action – led by Unite – comes after Xplore refused to increase on a 7% pay offer.

Xplore staff ’emphatically’ back strike action

It comes after Xplore Dundee used a staff wage rise as part of the justification for raising fares in April – only to later admit that a pay deal had not yet been struck.

Xplore has previously confirmed it will not be budging on the 7% offer.

Unite says after an 88.6% turnout for the strike ballot, 93% of workers backed strike action.

The workers include drivers, duty managers, platform staff and administrative staff.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “Xplore Dundee workers have emphatically backed strike action.

Buses ‘will be brought to a stop’

“The company need to realise, and quickly, that our members are not prepared to accept what amounts to a pay cut.

“Xplore Dundee can pay more and they must because if they don’t, the city’s only bus operator will be brought to a stop.”

Xplore has been contacted for comment.

A spokesperson for the firm previously described negotiations as taking place “in good faith” but added: “Where we do agree with Unite is when they state that a brick wall has been hit in pay talks – this is something Xplore Dundee finds deeply regrettable.

“We have offered alternative options, including a lucrative two-year deal, but Unite is unwilling to compromise. This is more about saving face than cost of living.”

kez19

Established Member
It was hinted at by a member of McGill's management that the 54 plate B7TLs don't have much longer left in service.

There might not be many Xplore buses on the road in a few weeks anyway, whatever colour they may be, as drivers have voted in favour of strike action: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/dundee/4422331/xplore-dundee-bus-strike-confirmed/

It’s a bit ironic in one way of getting second hand E400s since Xplore Dundee had them originally (hybrid) with National Express but surprised they are making a return but again for how long?

In terms of Xplore striking has a date ever been mentioned?

Volvodart

Established Member
Potential industrial action:-

Keeping you Moving During Potential Strike Action​

Today Sat 3rd Jun 2023

As you may be aware, despite our very best efforts, there is likely to be a period of industrial action by Unite the Union from Monday 12th June for at least a two week period or possibly longer. Saw
During the period of industrial action, buses will run to Sunday timetables each day, with some additional morning journeys and reduced evening journeys.
Revised strike timetables can be found HERE, these have been designed to look after 95% of our customers journeys needs.
Please note that our Fly service will continue to operate to a normal timetable, which can be found HERE.
We are deeply sorry to the people of Dundee for this situation, but we have worked hard to offer a fair 7% pay rise to Xplore Dundee drivers, which has already been accepted across other parts of McGill’s business this year throughout Scotland and also by the engineering team based at our Dock Steet base in Dundee.
You have our commitment that we will work hard to minimise the impact of this strike action – and we thank you for bearing with us.
For up to date information regarding timetables and service disruptions, download the Xplore Dundee app HERE or look out for live updates on our social channels.

Tayway

Hopefully this will be resolved before the 12th – from a cursory look at the timetables there are no services at all past 7 or 8pm. Stagecoach will be able to pick up some of the demand on parallel routes, but I expect it will have a lasting impact on passenger numbers (which have sprung back fairly well in the past few months, despite frequencies being halved on many routes since before the pandemic).

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
"Operational issues" mean that two round-trips on the flagship FLY service won't be operating in the early hours of tomorrow morning: https://www.xploredundee.com/Fly
Unfortunately due to operational issues we are unable to operate the following services :

Sunday 4th June

0001 Dundee to Edinburgh 0130 Edinburgh to Dundee

0130 Dundee to Edinburgh 0300 Edinburgh to Dundee

Anyone booked on these services please use your ticket on the earlier or later service.

The 0430 and 0900 Dundee to Edinburgh, and 0600/1030 Edinburgh to Dundee services did not operate today either.

Not great if you have flights to catch, or have just landed after a long flight and are just wanting home!

PaulMc7

Established Member
"Operational issues" mean that two round-trips on the flagship FLY service won't be operating in the early hours of tomorrow morning: https://www.xploredundee.com/Fly

The 0430 and 0900 Dundee to Edinburgh, and 0600/1030 Edinburgh to Dundee services did not operate today either.

Not great if you have flights to catch, or have just landed after a long flight and are just wanting home!
The use of "operational issues" is something First also love to do and I'd imagine that people would be slightly less annoyed if they were just specific about what the issues are. Saying "driver shortage" or "vehicle fault" etc surely isn't that hard for them?

Adlington

The Evening Standard reports:
Around 200 Xplore Dundee workers based at the city’s East Dock Street depot will strike for 12 weeks from Monday. The bus company has warned the strike will mean most services will run to a modified Sunday timetable – with services running every 30 to 60 minutes during the day on its core routes.
I'm not quite sure why a London newspaper writes about a local strike in Dundee :?::rolleyes:

overthewater

Established Member
The Evening Standard reports:

I'm not quite sure why a London newspaper writes about a local strike in Dundee :?::rolleyes:

I wonder if the Xplore staff can go and work for Stagecoach over those 12 weeks to make sure the 73 and 20/21 always operate?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I wonder if the Xplore staff can go and work for Stagecoach over those 12 weeks to make sure the 73 and 20/21 always operate?
We are veering off-topic but any issues on the 20/21 and 73 (or any Angus services) are not driver related, unlike the current daily cancellations at Xplore, which they seem to have a dislike to communicating to passengers...

...much like the Discover Dundee tour today: https://twitter.com/40SomethingTalk/status/1667238982290120712
@XploreDundee Tried to get on Dundee's tour bus today first one didn't show up then the next one that did - the driver mumbled something about the bus not running. About 10 people wanted on. Their loss. Bus runs every 30mins! Sure! It runs when they feel like it. Poor show!

Tayway

Following much consideration, we have taken the decision that buses will not run on Sunday 18 June. This is so that we can focus our efforts and resources on running our busiest routes to their temporary timetables on weekdays and Saturdays (which account for more than 9-in-10 journeys in a typical week).

No buses at all this coming Sunday. Seemingly McGills are transferring drivers across from Glasgow to cover, but without any training leading to widespread delays and incorrect routes being followed.

kez19

Established Member

No buses at all this coming Sunday. Seemingly McGills are transferring drivers across from Glasgow to cover, but without any training leading to widespread delays and incorrect routes being followed.

In regards to Sunday taxis will be in overdrive!

Stagecoach will be able to pick up via the X7 and 73.

Updated yesterday: https://www.xploredundee.com/strike-update

Following further, constructive discussions between Xplore Dundee and Unite the Union this week, we are pleased to announce that strike action has now been suspended.​

Full-frequency timetables will resume on our busiest routes with effect from Thursday 15 June - and we also look forward to reinstating school buses in Dundee, along with services 2, 6 and 23.

Some journeys may be subject to cancellation whilst colleagues get back out on the road on their normal duties - but we'll work hard to keep any disruptions to a minimum. Our aim is to be fully back to normal timetables again by Thursday afternoon or, at the latest, Friday morning. As usual, we'll keep you updated on all our channels (on our website, in the app and on digital screens in bus shelters).

The Discover Dundee sightseeing tour and school buses for Madras College and Greyfriars Primary School will resume separately on Friday 16 June. The Travel Centre will also re-open for customer services on Friday 16 June. Sunday services will also be now run in full on Sunday 18 June.

We appreciate the patience and understanding you've shown us whilst we've dealt with these challenges this week. As ever, our commitment is to keeping you moving. We look forward to having all our buses out and about again soon.

Last edited:

Tayway

Following further, constructive discussions between Xplore Dundee and Unite the Union this week, we are pleased to announce that strike action has now been suspended.
Full-frequency timetables will resume on our busiest routes with effect from Thursday 15 June - and we also look forward to reinstating school buses in Dundee, along with services 2, 6 and 23.
Strike action called off already – hopefully a deal will be ironed out in the coming days and further action will be unnecessary.

kez19

Established Member

Strike action called off already – hopefully a deal will be ironed out in the coming days and further action will be unnecessary.

The way this happened in less than a week you couldn’t organise a … up in a brewery!

Sunday services to then announce less than a few days no Sunday service on Sunday to then we are back to normal (nothing against the drivers either), but it makes you wonder!

Stan Drews

Established Member
The way this happened in less than a week you couldn’t organise a … up in a brewery!

Sunday services to then announce less than a few days no Sunday service on Sunday to then we are back to normal (nothing against the drivers either), but it makes you wonder!
I think it was all just the usual union ‘politics’, as it appears that a 0.5% increase on what was offered on Friday (that was apparently meaningless), is now being recommended for acceptance!

kez19

Established Member
I think it was all just the usual union ‘politics’, as it appears that a 0.5% increase on what was offered on Friday (that was apparently meaningless), is now being recommended for acceptance!

It reminds me of the brief spell with National Express, where the buses had been pulled off mid afternoon (to resume next day?), I be surprised if we are going to see another cycle in the near future!

Tayway

Here we go again...
Industrial action will resume from Saturday 24 June, meaning local bus services are subject to disruption or cancellation.
Following a vote by members to reject a union-recommended pay offer today, we urged Unite the Union to hold off on resuming industrial action until Monday morning. This would have given us the weekend to prepare contingency plans to keep Dundee moving with a limited service. Regrettably, they have refused to do so, meaning we won't be able to run any buses over the weekend.

No services tomorrow or Sunday, presumably they'll be trying to scramble as many substitutes in from Glasgow again over the weekend in order to resume to temporary timetable on Monday.

kez19

Established Member
Here we go again...

No services tomorrow or Sunday, presumably they'll be trying to scramble as many substitutes in from Glasgow again over the weekend in order to resume to temporary timetable on Monday.

I thought it was a bit late to announce this, especially 7pm on a Friday night (I wouldn’t mind an update say after 12pm if nothing in the morning).

I may have misread it but it says timetables prior to strike last week (Sunday timetable with alterations), so if nothing is up on Sunday it’s normal services?

Bike it is!

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'm not too familiar with Dundee or Xplore in general so can anyone explain what the union is wanting here? It seems weird that deals were agreed everywhere else without issue except Dundee.

kez19

Established Member
Not how strikes work - especially if vote then probably only confirmed at 1700 close then discussions

Yet whilst I understand that it has thrown people in the deep end for those who work nightshift tonight and those that start work in morning with no buses (fine if people can get a lift or a taxi).

Anthony ross

I'm not too familiar with Dundee or Xplore in general so can anyone explain what the union is wanting here? It seems weird that deals were agreed everywhere else without issue except Dundee.
I don’t think the union know what they want, but as a driver for a bus company I’m certainly glad I’m not part of any unions

Last edited by a moderator:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
A one-year deal (instead of the two-year deal offered), an improved procedure allowing drivers to actually get lieu days, and improved Ts&Cs I have heard

PaulMc7

Established Member
A one-year deal (instead of the two-year deal offered), an improved procedure allowing drivers to actually get lieu days, and improved Ts&Cs I have heard
Thank you for the information. Are they fine with the pay aspect of the deal?

kez19

Established Member
Minor update on site: https://www.xploredundee.com/Strike

From Monday 26 June, we will reintroduce modified Sunday timetables, meaning our popular routes will be running every 30 minutes. We won’t be able to run after 7pm, but some extra early morning trips have been added to get people to and from work, with a particular focus on Ninewells Hospital. Our FLY coach link between Dundee and Edinburgh Airport will continue to run as normal.

Unfortunately, a number of our less popular buses and the Discover Dundee sightseeing tour won’t run due to the need to focus resources on our busiest routes. We believe that the temporary timetables we have planned will cater for over 90% of our typical customer demands.

We're deeply sorry that the people of Dundee will be inconvenienced once again. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding as we work through these challenging times.

All services are Sunday run (Monday-Saturday)

X90/FLY: 90 mins

Services suspended: 2, 6, 57a/59, DD1 Dundee and Fife school services