• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Xplore Dundee

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
The 5 ex London E400s will be moving to Dundee to boost capacity on a couple of Xplore routes in the city.
I'm a bit surprised that they didn't transfer the buses they took over but I am thinking they are in the Midland Bluebird side not Eastern Scottish.

If I am right to suggest that this 5 will possibly move more Gemini out of the Xplore fleet to possibly Midland? (guessing here)

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't transfer the buses they took over but I am thinking they are in the Midland Bluebird side not Eastern Scottish.

If I am right to suggest that this 5 will possibly move more Gemini out of the Xplore fleet to possibly Midland? (guessing here)
The B7TLs still in use at Dundee are Euro 6 so can be utilised across the Network in any of the Cities.

Stan Drews

Established Member

They are expected to replace Volvo B7RLEs.

roadierway77

Are all five of them being branded for the 32/33?
At least three have been so far - there is a post on the private North East Scotland Bus Enthusiasts Group on Facebook that shows three of them parked up at Dock Street depot. All Eastern Scottish branding has been removed and replaced with Xplore and 32/33 branding - the colour scheme is still the same, Eastern Scottish green and cream.

kez19

Established Member
At least three have been so far - there is a post on the private North East Scotland Bus Enthusiasts Group on Facebook that shows three of them parked up at Dock Street depot. All Eastern Scottish branding has been removed and replaced with Xplore and 32/33 branding - the colour scheme is still the same, Eastern Scottish green and cream.

I'll guess this will be McGills first route branding on the buses here (as previous ones are still National Express), is there much point in route branding, the buses will be diverted off to other routes.

I wonder why no repaint into Xplore Dundee colours - save costs I guess? So Xplore Dundee has now 3 colour schemes running (Xplore Green as with NX on majority of buses), new XD green on the first set of E400 and now the next set of E400s carrying Eastern Scottish colours for route branding.

They are expected to replace Volvo B7RLEs.

What is happening with the B7RLEs - they heading towards Livingston/Glasgow or scrap?

Last edited:

kez19

Established Member
None of the above! ;)
Midland Bluebird perhaps??

Thats what I was thinking but it does seem if there was more of transfers that Mcgills should at least repaint some to the places they are going?

Looks more like Midland Bluebird is in short a crossover with McGills themselves the Midland brand and the mix of NX/Xplore colours a mess really!

Observer

Thats what I was thinking but it does seem if there was more of transfers that Mcgills should at least repaint some to the places they are going?

Looks more like Midland Bluebird is in short a crossover with McGills themselves the Midland brand and the mix of NX/Xplore colours a mess really!
It's like First Edinburgh in the late 90s / early 2000s, you didn't know what colour the next bus would be!

kez19

Established Member
It's like First Edinburgh in the late 90s / early 2000s, you didn't know what colour the next bus would be!

True! lol at least when National Express ran the Dundee one, they at least repainted them over time.

I was under the impression when the new colour scheme came out of McGills the buses would be getting decorated again but nothing other than the buses brought in. It’s similar to the Xplore app; it’s still under NX colour scheme not the new look. I could understand the process being gradual but it feels like here we are stuck in what McGill's seem to be doing.

I jokingly said to one of my friends they may as well just rebrand Xplore Dundee to just McGills, use its livery and save all the bother! (case in point - look at pictures in Edinburgh with McGills it’s a mix of McGills buses and Midland Bluebird)

kez19

Established Member
I noticed according to Bustimes that the trial bus (2434) seems to have had runs on the 5(a) and 17 (not sticking to the 28 as such).

Also I noted the electric bus "colin bennett" 8508 hasn't been running around (bustimes and no history either..as source) any ideas as I thought all their electrics had been out?

MasterSpenny

MasterSpenny

MasterSpenny

Some good news for the FLY services: Xplore Dundee has reported a 50% rise in passengers during 2023.
Xplore Dundee’s FLY service, which connects Dundee with Edinburgh Airport, has enjoyed a 50% rise in passengers over the course of 2023, the operator has announced.

A new website for the service will soon offer an easier booking process and better timetable information and real-time updates, says Xplore Dundee.

Aside from the year-on-year passenger growth, FLY services last year covered more than 500,000 miles between Scotland’s fourth largest city and the capital’s airport, which represented an increase of 20% over 2022.

The service, which began in 2019, runs every 90 minutes, 24 hours a day, via hi-spec Mercedes coaches.

The operator is hoping for further growth in 2024, according to Director and General Manager Stephen Riggans.

Mr Riggans says: “We’ve been thrilled with how FLY has been performing and the 50% increase in passengers last year is testament to the quality of service that we’ve been able to provide to both new and repeat customers.

“As both domestic and international travel got back under way post-COVID, we were determined to build a great transport option that passengers could enjoy both before and after their flight at Edinburgh Airport.

“More and more passengers are choosing to leave their cars at home rather than park at the airport because FLY is providing a great value and comfortable service. The 20% increase in mileage is an indication of increased demand from Dundonians that we have been ready to meet.”

Theproinsider

Some good news for the FLY services: Xplore Dundee has reported a 50% rise in passengers during 2023.
That's 50% on 2022's numbers. When we had lockdown's at the start of that year? More smoke and mirrors from them.

route101

Established Member
I wonder if it will go hourly. Is the FLY service reliable? The AIR service is doing well too.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
it went from every 3 hours to every 90 minutes bar night buses, 20% seems like an underestimation
20% increase across the whole year maybe? It increased to every 90 minutes mid way through 2022, I’m not sure when the “missing” night journey was added

Stan Drews

Established Member
20% increase across the whole year maybe? It increased to every 90 minutes mid way through 2022, I’m not sure when the “missing” night journey was added
You’d like to think the 20% increase would be across the whole year, considering that is what they were comparing.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
You’d like to think the 20% increase would be across the whole year, considering that is what they were comparing.
Indeed, and this is exactly what the article quoted in post #409 says.

ajrm

I caught the 1500 ex Dundee on 3rd January and it arrived at Edinburgh Airport 10 mins early (in 70 mins).

In my experience it's extremely reliable, literally non-stop from Dundee to the airport if the traffic is clear. The 90-minute frequency is a disincentive though. Fine when you are on your way to catch a flight when you want to leave some time, but not so great if the time of your return flight leaves you waiting for an hour or more at Edinburgh Airport.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Single deck Volvo B7RLE 2431 is due to re-enter service again soon, which will allow double deck B7TL 2830 to transfer to Midland Bluebird (Larbert) for a new Falkirk Council school contract which has been awarded at relatively short notice.