• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XX:10 Euston to Birmingham NS / XX:17 Birmingham to Euston paths no-longer ran in off-peak

hozza94

I have been using this route for over a year every week due to work commitments and remembered that the WCML timetable recast in Dec 2022 to change the 3tph that had one stop each at Watford/Rugby/Milton Keynes between Euston and Coventry to become 2tph non-stop London - Coventry and 1tph semi-fast.

However in the last 2 timetable changes (May 2023 and Dec 2023), AWC seems to have quietly dropped the service down to 1tph fast and 1tph semi-fast, with the aforementioned paths only used a few times a day during peak services. Is this to do with AWC not having sufficient stock/driver or is this a DfT funding reduction related? It also doesn't help the fact that the semi-fast only arrive into London 10-15 before the fast (XX:54 then XX:06), which means it's very unhelpful if you wanted to get to Euston around half-past to carry on with the onward journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
I can see that the reduction from 20-min to 30-min makes sense (for one thing, it makes planning the timetable much easier if everything else is half-hourly, the 20-min pattern forced some messy irregularities on local services) but it seems crazy not to run an even-interval half hourly service given that has been the baseline in modern times. The even-interval 30-min service was present as long ago as 1978 and presumably since electrification.

I suppose it's all at the behest of the DFT.

Last edited:

OscarH

As I recall the aim is go back to 3tph, 2 fast and the semifast, and I think there's a good chance that's why they haven't retimed it while it's down to two

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
As I recall the aim is go back to 3tph, 2 fast and the semifast, and I think there's a good chance that's why they haven't retimed it while it's down to two
2 fast Pendolinos and a sort of stopping Hitachi.

Boodiggy

I didn’t see the second fast one back in for the June 1st Timetable change.
The Euston - New St / New St - Euston trains seem unchanged from the current timetable.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I didn’t see the second fast one back in for the June 1st Timetable change.
The Euston - New St / New St - Euston trains seem unchanged from the current timetable.
Sunday June 2nd, but I don't believe it's publically viewable anywhere yet, unless you've preview access of some sort - I don't think it's quite at the finalisation date yet either, that's late February.

My understanding though is that the 3tph, 1/2 hourly fast and and hourly semi-fast, are dependent on the 807s being in service as the semi-fast requires them.

Boodiggy

Sunday June 2nd, but I don't believe it's publically viewable anywhere yet, unless you've preview access of some sort - I don't think it's quite at the finalisation date yet either, that's late February.

My understanding though is that the 3tph, 1/2 hourly fast and and hourly semi-fast, are dependent on the 807s being in service as the semi-fast requires them.
Apologies on the date.
It has been finalised now for AWC and I saw this at a meeting last week - noting no additional Birmingham or Liverpool trains were included.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Apologies on the date.
It has been finalised now for AWC and I saw this at a meeting last week - noting no additional Birmingham or Liverpool trains were included.
Hmm, the few snippets I've had suggest a very limited timetable 'change' across the country, rather more happening in December I understand.

nw1

Established Member
Hmm, the few snippets I've had suggest a very limited timetable 'change' across the country, rather more happening in December I understand.

Interesting, the complete opposite of the classic pattern when May was always "the big one" and the late Sep/early Oct timetable (as was) only had minor tweaks. Only when a significant project (such as electrification) was completed would anything interesting happen in autumn, aside from the end of summer dated services. Indeed, in the days when I bought a paper copy of the GBPTT, I'd only get the May one and not bother with the Sep/Oct edition.

Significant changes to diagramming (in my neck of the woods, i.e. Southern Region/NSE third-rail EMUs) would also only happen in May, outside of notable events such as the East Grinstead electrification.

As an aside, June 2 is really, really late. I realise we are prone to some unseasonal weather these days, but few would place June 1 in the "winter" period by any stretch of the imagination.

December is a strange time to change, being right in the middle of the winter season. Always thought early autumn made more sense, as it marked the change from summer to rest-of-year, in the same way that May marks the start of the high summer season.

Are there not Pendolinos that can run the semi-fast in the meantime?

Presumably with a less-frequent timetable across the board on the WCML compared to pre-Covid, there must be available Pendolinos to run the 2 fast and 1 semi-fast.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
December has been the big change dates for as long as I remember. Its June this year as a fall out of the move to three timetables that got blocked.

Established Member
As an aside, June 2 is really, really late. I realise we are prone to some unseasonal weather these days, but few would place June 1 in the "winter" period by any stretch of the imagination.
Having the Summer change in June is a hangover from the proposal to have timetable changes in June and October (with a opportunity for TOCs to tweak things in February) each year - June 2024 was intended to be the pivot to the "new" timetable change dates but in the event ORR ruled against it because of objections from freight operators, as I understand it.

nw1

Established Member
December has been the big change dates for as long as I remember. Its June this year as a fall out of the move to three timetables that got blocked.

I am thinking more of the 80s and 90s to be fair, when May was generally the big one. Certainly any big changes on the SWD / NSE / SWT always took place in May in that era.
My brain is still hard-wired to expect the big change in May (or June, this year) even now!

Peter0124

Established Member
Apologies on the date.
Are the last remaining Euston - Birmingham - Glasgow trains reinstated, replacing the current Blackpools? It's 1tp4h during daytime from Glasgow to Birmingham when it used to be 1tp2h all day

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Interesting, the complete opposite of the classic pattern when May was always "the big one" and the late Sep/early Oct timetable (as was) only had minor tweaks. Only when a significant project (such as electrification) was completed would anything interesting happen in autumn, aside from the end of summer dated services. Indeed, in the days when I bought a paper copy of the GBPTT, I'd only get the May one and not bother with the Sep/Oct edition.
I believe December has been the 'big' change ever since the GBTT dates were synchronised with those of mainland Europe.

Are there not Pendolinos that can run the semi-fast in the meantime?
A very fair point, my memory may be wrong on the matter.

Are the last remaining Euston - Birmingham - Glasgow trains reinstated, replacing the current Blackpools? It's 1tp4h during daytime from Glasgow to Birmingham when it used to be 1tp2h all day
I doubt it'll be June, if it happens at all this year (or indeed ever in the next few years) - my money's on December.