• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yellow front ends on new stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Well that's not going to happen! :lol:

Looks like ive got a bite with that comment! ;) When I get a moment, Ill Photoshop a Yellow End and I guarantee it will improve it.

Last edited:

On Moderation
You say that but, Northern.. and Thameslink... and ScotRail.. and VTEC/GWR.. have yellow ends with compliant lights. Need I go on?

What stock does VTEC have with compliant lights?

CosherB

Established Member
It has much more character in these images. I think the yellow compliments the livery very well.

Well that's your opinion - I'd like to know how a yellow warning panel adds 'character'?

Personally, yellow or no yellow, I couldn't care less. But it doesn't change the fact that SWR Aventras won't be getting a 'characterful' front!

AM9

Veteran Member
You say that but, Northern.. and Thameslink... and ScotRail.. and VTEC/GWR.. have yellow ends with compliant lights. Need I go on?

Weren't the class 700s fixed (apart from the vinyl logos of course) before the rules were changed. What would be hazardous is a mix of the same class but with and without yellow panels, especially on Thameslink N where most of the trains would be the same class.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Well that's your opinion - I'd like to know how a yellow warning panel adds 'character'?

Personally, yellow or no yellow, I couldn't care less. But it doesn't change the fact that SWR Aventras won't be getting a 'characterful' front!

It is my opinion and I think that the yellow panel makes it appear more inviting and friendly. In fact, I think anything is better than black.

By the time they're introduced the remaining fleet will be operating entirely with yellow panels and as a result SWR may decide to introduce a fleet which has all yellow panels for consistency.

During the time the RSSB standard was being discussed I disputed the move away from yellow fronts. I still to this date do not understand why an approach of Bright Lights + Yellow Front was not adopted. Surely you'll agree with me that this is the best scenario.

Thanks,
Ross

CosherB

Established Member
During the time the RSSB standard was being discussed I disputed the move away from yellow fronts. I still to this date do not understand why an approach of Bright Lights + Yellow Front was not adopted. Surely you'll agree with me that this is the best scenario.

No, I don't agree. I don't, however, believe my opinion counts for anything against what the RSSB has stipulated, as I am not a Subject Matter Expert.

The rest of the world seems to cope with bright lights and no yellow, so why should the UK be considered a special case, or somehow know better?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
No, I don't agree. I don't, however, believe my opinion counts for anything against what the RSSB has stipulated, as I am not a Subject Matter Expert.

The rest of the world seems to cope with bright lights and no yellow, so why should the UK be considered a special case, or somehow know better?

I think the question you should be asking is why did they not adopt the yellow panel in addition to bright lights elsewhere.. This railway is one of the most safest in the world, why would we remove a safety feature which is serving a purpose as well as having brighter headlights. This has to be a backstep.

Thanks,
Ross

CosherB

Established Member
I think the question you should be asking is why did they not adopt the yellow panel in addition to bright lights elsewhere.. This railway is one of the most safest in the world, why would we remove a safety feature which is serving a purpose as well as having brighter headlights. This has to be a backstep.

Thanks,
Ross

So what part of Railway Group Standard GM/RT2131 do you dispute?

https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GMRT2131%20Iss%201.pdf

I have to say that your comment above does come across as a bit 'Jonny English' lecturing the rest of the world on this topic. I agree that we have one of the safest railways in the world, however, I don't believe the stipulations under the new regulations are a backward step. Can you imagine what would happen under case law if an accident happened and it was proven that the regulations were to blame? The RSSB are not in the business to make the railways less safe.

XCTurbostar

Established Member

I have to say that your comment above does come across as a bit 'Jonny English' lecturing the rest of the world on this topic. I agree that we have one of the safest railways in the world, however, I don't believe the stipulations under the new regulations are a backward step. Can you imagine what would happen under case law if an accident happened and it was proven that the regulations were to blame? The RSSB are not in the business to make the railways less safe.

I disputed section 3.9 and the move away from a yellow end requirement. In a situation when none of the headlights work on a train with a front that blended into the environment in a daytime environment it could (although unlikely) lead to a track worker incident.

Not at all. I am very passionate about the safety of mine and my colleagues and strive for answers about why this move has occurred.

Thanks,
Ross

sjoh

In fairness, if the lights don't work the train shouldn't be moving. If a track worker walks into a stationary train, well...

But, I do agree that black is aesthetically displeasing, and in this particular case, I think you're right in that a yellow front would actually look pretty good. However, in cases like this I think we need to be aware of negative bias - we are all used to seeing yellow ends, and thus anything different is very likely to look very strange and jarring at first.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
I disputed section 3.9 and the move away from a yellow end requirement. In a situation when none of the headlights work on a train with a front that blended into the environment in a daytime environment it could (although unlikely) lead to a track worker incident.

Not at all. I am very passionate about the safety of mine and my colleagues and strive for answers about why this move has occurred.

Thanks,
Ross

If a train had no headlights working on the leading cab, it'd be running at reduced speed to the nearest depot to get fixed! The yellow panel is completely unnecessary given the brightness of the current generation of lights. If you look at any train with the latest headlights and a yellow panel (eg the SWT 456s or the 700s), what is it that you see first? In my experience, it has always been the headlights - even in bright sunlight.

I would agree however, that the SWR livery does look a little odd on these units - the yellow panels that matt47522 has done make it look a lot better. But then again, when the first render of the new livery on a 444 was revealed, my reaction was to say tha1t it was hideous, but once applied to the train, I didn't think it looked too bad.

sjoh

Weren't the class 700s fixed (apart from the vinyl logos of course) before the rules were changed. What would be hazardous is a mix of the same class but with and without yellow panels, especially on Thameslink N where most of the trains would be the same class.

I'm a little curious here as to why a mix of the same class with and without panels would be any more dangerous than a mix of two different classes with and without panels.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Made some more images with Yellow Fronts. Which is your favourite?

Thanks,
Ross

Attachments

• Class701YellowLivery.jpg
    Class701YellowLivery.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 252

AM9

Veteran Member
I'm a little curious here as to why a mix of the same class with and without panels would be any more dangerous than a mix of two different classes with and without panels.

Thameslink is a very intensive service so trackworkers would benefit from consistency of appearance. The odd freight, (assuming the slow lines) would be easier to manage.
Just why would anybody (apart from train spotters) want a mix of trains with and without yellow painted fronts on a common fleet of trains?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Everyone, do we really have to have a few pages of thread drift about yellow end policy EVERY time another type of new stock appears without it in PR photos?

I get all the views from rail staff, but nothing's now likely to change no matter how many times objections get posted. RSSB have made their decision, following a consultation, so let's move on eh?

Established Member
Everyone, do we really have to have a few pages of thread drift about yellow end policy EVERY time another type of new stock appears without it in PR photos?

I get all the views from rail staff, but nothing's now likely to change no matter how many times objections get posted. RSSB have made their decision, following a consultation, so let's move on eh?

Seconded most other counties seem to manage without Yellow Ends on their trains so lets call it a day arguing about it.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Made some more images with Yellow Fronts. Which is your favourite?

Thanks,
Ross

Having seen all four, I actually prefer the official one without yellow - but I do think it would be better with the cabside blue* taking place of the black...

*Or whatever the shade is officially called.

On Moderation

Not really sure how something like the SWR Aventra is that different to this in terms of front end colours: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/601/32467502551_35fc65ce1f_b.jpg

Don't seem to hear of hordes of Swiss track workers being bowled over by these locos....

Status
Not open for further replies.