• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yet again another idiot......

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
No problems with rucksacks or any luggage for that matter. You can bring a bag on the size of Wales for all I care.

Just one thing, though. Be aware of it and stop smashing them in to me each time you make a turn. No wonder people get upset when you crash in to them.

Think first, then turn. Problem solved.

This is the best advice.
It's not the object, but how the owner is treating it :P

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turbocharger

The main point here is that a rucksack should be taken off when boarding and while on the train. If you leave it on your back it takes up far more space than if down by your feet, and every time you turn round you swing it into other standing passengers.

I use one regularly, but treat it as 'hand baggage' when on the train and when boarding and de-training, carrying it like a bag.

Exactly my point. I certainly do not dislike rucksack owners, I have some myself. So I am very sorry if I gave the wrong impression then.

But I do dislike the ones that board a packed train wearing the massive tent like ones, and proceed to bump and bash other customers having to stand.

It is so very rude and there is no need for it. None of the people I have seen have even said sorry or acknowledged what they are doing and take the damn thing off.

And rush hour to me is anytime the train is packed to standing room only, sorry that was a bit misleading, but same difference to be honest.

Cheers
Dave

jon0844

Veteran Member
Don't disrespect rucksacks mate, for me they are the easiest thing to carry what I need for trips out in!

I have one almost every day. I always remove it when boarding and standing on a train as it's a damn sight easier to have it on the floor where there's more space than at torso height.

Common sense really, but many keep wearing them on their backs and bumping into people.

(And I only carry mine on one shoulder so it takes a second or two at most to remove it, or put it back on).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It seems to be those with the biggest rucksack that are most oblivious to having one!

starrymarkb

Established Member
My pet hate, luggage-wise, is people with stupid little cases on wheels with great big long handles, so people are dragging them along yards behind them blissfully unaware whose feet they're running over or whose ankles they're bashing.

I just bought one of those, they are sized to go as airline hand luggage...

Nym

Established Member
It's like parking in London on Northern Ireland number plates. Just park anywhere and shout, "I'll be back in a minute!" (Patrick Keilty's joke, not me)

But slightly ceriously, I can't wait to have a bag serach done at Piccadilly when I'm on my way in or out of uni or work, I tend to have a lot of electronic components about my person. Wonder if it could cause a panic...

jon0844

Veteran Member
The police have long given up doing bag searches. Of course, they will resume when something bad happens again.

We have a police force that are mainly reactive, not proactive. (To be fair, perhaps they're just being a little more realistic and don't feel we need to live in fear as we did under the encouragement of the last Government).

If you want some attention, get your camera out and take a photo instead!

anthony263

Established Member
Christ am I the only person that puts my child's pushchair down on a train?

I do see some people do it occasionally although a lot of people like to moan when they are requested to fold it down.

It similar when you get the mothers trying to get on the bus and the wheelchair space is being used by a disabled passenger.

TDK

Established Member
I have a hatred for rucksack wearers in a confined space, have had drinks knocked out of hands and being vertically challenged have had many in the mush, however, I feel that they should certainly be removed before boarding a train or in any public place where they could be a nuicence to other folks

LE Greys

Established Member
I've had to go through London with mine in the rush hour a few times, generally going to or from an airport. It's useful for backing into a corner and using as a rest when it's full of clothes. That also makes it hard for people to nick stuff out of it (although anything valuable in mine is buried deep).

I don't like those wheeled cases either, and reckon they look ridiculous. A decent briefcase or a flight bag carried by the handle is much more dignified. It also makes it a lot easier to sling it into a luggage rack or under a seat. They now have shopping baskets that trail behind you as well, which are equally silly, although the proper kind are a pain to carry. As for the big ones, I sometimes use my trunk as a mobile seat (useful for that). However, they are quite good at giving you shoulder pains. The ideal solution would be a sledging harness, possibly meaning you could tow three or four.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Christ am I the only person that puts my child's pushchair down on a train?

No, someone did this a few weeks on a Portsmouth to Cardiff train. They then laid it flat on the bottom of the luggage stack so that no one could put any bags there.

If only we had more trains with sufficient seating and adequate luggage space!

Bittern

Established Member
Has some sort of trend been started here? Is it now cool to start threads b!tching about some random, every day thing people do on trains? The only thing that should be banned are threads like these.

Hydro

Established Member
Yet another idiot disturbed me asking for a so-called "ticket" the other day. Anyone else hate this? You're trying to watch your DVD, listen to music or read your book and there's always some bloke tapping you on the shoulder for this "ticket". Happens nearly every damn journey I make. A bloody disgrace, the height of rudeness.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Yet another idiot disturbed me asking for a so-called "ticket" the other day. Anyone else hate this? You're trying to watch your DVD, listen to music or read your book and there's always some bloke tapping you on the shoulder for this "ticket". Happens nearly every damn journey I make. A bloody disgrace, the height of rudeness.

You have ticket inspectors on the NMT? :p

Hydro

Established Member
You have ticket inspectors on the NMT? :p

Of course. "I'm sorry sir, this is a Standard Class ticket. This is First. Please make your way back into the generator compartment and find an oily corner there. I could revoke your kettle and microwave privileges, but I will show discretion this time, Sir David."

Status
Not open for further replies.