• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yet More Splitting Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
For the opening day of the Premier League season, I'm off to Villa Park (Birmingham) for Aston Villa vs Wigan Athletic. It's a 1500 kick off on Saturday 15th Aug.
I'll be travelling from Liverpool South Parkway and I have a 16-25 railcard.

Can anyone advise me on getting a cheaper ticket to either Witton (WTT) or Aston (AST) than £20.20

I'm also considering doing a West Mids Day Ranger. If anyone can give me more info on that, I'd be more grateful.

Thanks guys!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
My favourite ticket - a London Midland super-off-peak return to Rugby or Nuneaton will get you as far as New Street, it's only about another pound for a CDR to Witton / Aston.

Nuneaton (£8.60) is a little cheaper then Rugby (£9.25). It's valid either way and I've never had a Nuneaton ticket queried, but I know that some people prefer to get the ticket to Rugby to save on possible questions.

Norwich

Hi mate

I'll be at Exeter vs Norwich that day - supporting the Canaries, obviously (staying in Cornwall, so it's Par-Exeter Central for me, with the promise of a glimpse of a Barrow Hill-Paignton special on arrival at St Davids!!)

Anyway, best I can find is the following:

Liverpool SP - Crewe £9.10 off peak return

Crewe - Witton £21.00 off peak return

Plus your third off, which makes it about 10 pence cheaper than what you know already! Hooray.....

Yours, just chipped £30.00 off a Norwich - Hartlepool return for our game oooop North on the 29th :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I see this is one of those where a ticket to go further is cheaper!

The cheapest split is probably Crewe. Don't forget the Chester to Birmingham (and, therefore, Aston or Witton) CDR is £9.75 with a Y-P and is valid from Crewe! Combined with £6 LPY-CRE the total is £15.75. But still more than a ticket to Nuneaton/Rugby!

Yours, just chipped £30.00 off a Norwich - Hartlepool return for our game oooop North on the 29th :)
Cheapest way to get to Hartlepool is probably by splitting at Peterborough and York. Without a Railcard, it's under £30 from PBO-YRK Day return, and £11 YRK-HPL.

Norwich

Cheers Yorkie, after extensive research I have reached the conclusion that those splitting points are the best....

...irritatingly, the Norwich-P'boro leg weighs in at a disproportionately large part of the fare...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Incidentally, could you use a standard day return from York to H'pool on a Grand Central service?

glynn80

Established Member
Incidentally, could you use a standard day return from York to H'pool on a Grand Central service?

There isn't actually an SDR as far as I can see in the list of fares (are you confused with the Anytime Return?). But if there were, GC fully participate with all Inter-Available fares so an Any Permitted SDR ticket would be valid for travel on their services.

Norwich

Yes, I was confused with that, still struggling to get my terminology right with regards to the new fares...!

Yippee, I'll be taking an HST from Pools back to York after the game then :)

tony_mac

Established Member
Combined with £6 LPY-CRE

It probably doesn't help here, but I think that Liverpool South Parkway to Chester is valid via Crewe (NXEC agrees, and offers it as a quickest route sometimes, but national rail says multiple tickets needed). That's £2.90 for a CDR with railcard.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It probably doesn't help here, but I think that Liverpool South Parkway to Chester is valid via Crewe (NXEC agrees, and offers it as a quickest route sometimes, but national rail says multiple tickets needed). That's £2.90 for a CDR with railcard.
It is valid on map CG but officially you'd have to go via Warrington!

ChrisTheRef

Established Member

I'm not sure on that. The trains are faster but it's much more of a distance I think. If someone can clarify that it IS valid, it's a fantastically cheap way to get to Crewe.

I love the £8.60 to Nuneaton. What would I ask for at the ticket office?

mathmo

Is the £8.60 return to Nuneaton really valid via New Street? I can understand it's a valid route, but are there actually any LM trains direct from New Street to Nuneaton?

I suggest the £9.25 ticket to Rugby as a much safer bet, then £1.05 for the CDR to Aston. Ask for a "London Midland Super Off-Peak Return" at the ticket office.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
NRE say to go with LM only from BHM to NUN, I need to change at STA.

So that's surely not valid via New Street.
Rugby is the easier option me thinks.

tony_mac

Established Member
you have to change at Coventry to get to Nuneaton with LM.
If you go to advance options on nationalrail, you can ask for Liverpool to Nuneaton via Coventry, and specify London Midland trains - then you will get the option of the super-off-peak return ticket. So, yes, it is valid - but it's a very slow route and could raise a few eyebrows.

Rugby via New Street is a much more sensible route, and is the suggested route for a lot of departures.

As for Liverpool South Parkway to Chester via Crewe; as yorkie said, it's only actually valid via Warrington and Crewe which would make it quite slow.

The NXEC website does give via Crewe (and not Warrington) as a route for that journey (e.g. 07:15, 07:44, 08:44, 09:44...) and lets you reserve seats etc.

Railjet

The cheapest split is probably Crewe. Don't forget the Chester to Birmingham (and, therefore, Aston or Witton) CDR is £9.75 with a Y-P and is valid from Crewe!

Wrexham to Aston/Witton CDR is also valid via Crewe and is £8.15 (about) with a railcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.