• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York 10 Dec 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

I went to York on Thursday to look at some archives in the NRM. I chose that day because I knew 'Duchess of Sutherland' was coming from Norwich with the 'Yuletide Express' and thought it might add some additional railway interest, which indeed it did.

The departure from York was superbly atmospheric, as it was dark and damp. 46233 made a fantastic spectacle in the gloom with a seriously long train. The sound of the exhaust and occasional wheelslip on the greasy rails added to the thrill.

But the entertainment didn't end with the Duchess heading towards Colton Jct! Even after the Duchess had left there was still steam at the North end of the station, coming from Black 5 44871. This was a complete surprise to me and I really did feel as though I'd stepped back in time.

I caught a Newcastle-Liverpool train back to Manchester Victoria (just like the old days), and was half-expecting another steam engine there, but unfortunately no one had laid one on so the time warp finished for me there. Still the fantasy was fun whilst it lasted.

I can't find anything on realtimetrains about what the Black 5 was doing, and am hoping someone can enlighten me. Or was it just a dream?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Sounds like you had a great day at York.

I have had similar experiences at Carlisle sometimes, when there have been a couple of steam charters in around the same time and also, oddly enough, at Putney in South West London, when two steam charters came through within half an hour. :D

crosscity

... the Black 5 wasn't on a charter, it was coupled to a single coach and was just simmering at the end of the platform! I'm just interested to know what it was doing there and where and when it went next.

crosscity

Thank you Trainfan344. That fits a big piece of the jigsaw. It's a mystery why it didn't appear on realtimetrains.

Only thing remaining now is - when and where had it come from prior to going to the NRM?

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you Trainfan344. That fits a big piece of the jigsaw. It's a mystery why it didn't appear on realtimetrains.

Only thing remaining now is - when and where had it come from prior to going to the NRM?

I can't give you a complete answer, but she's been owned by Riley and Sons of Bury since 2006, so maybe she was en-route from there?

The Lad

I believe it was from Hopwood GF at about 1200 to York, then to Grosmont arriving 2100 ish.

crosscity

I believe it was from Hopwood GF at about 1200 to York, then to Grosmont arriving 2100 ish.

This is the last piece in the jigsaw and the mystery is solved. Thank you to all who have contributed. I still couldn't find the train on Realtimetrains, but here it is on opentraintimes:

http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/U63949/2015-12-10
5Z87 1200 Castleton Hopwood GF - York N.R.M. (WR)

Also for completeness are pictures of the Duchess as it arrived at York; just before it left and the Black 5.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 1080371.png
    1080371.png
    443.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 1080386.png
    1080386.png
    373.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1080390.png
    1080390.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 16
Status