• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yorkshire Tiger discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
There is only actually one company, Yorkshire Tiger Limited, everything else is just a brand name.
Don't we have a TOC that do exactly that...?

I assume YT don't insist people pay £19.80 on their service to Leeds Bradford Airport however-and claim tickets valid on another brand are not valid...!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
That's the holding company, there is no operators licence attached to that company

Andyh82

Established Member
Turns out Centrebus Holdings is actually Hinckley Bus. Therefore nothing to do with Yorkshire Tiger.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Correct. Arriva Midlands still use Centrebus Holdings for their Hinckley operations.
Though what is now Yorkshire Tiger WAS under "Centrebus Holdings" when trading as Centrebus (and Huddersfield Bus Company) before Arriva took full ownership.

Apparently one of the hated (by me) Plaxton Centros came to grief in Huddersfield town centre the other day. I don't have any details to hand but it was covered by the Examiner (visit their website, if you dare!).

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Apparently one of the hated (by me) Plaxton Centros came to grief in Huddersfield town centre the other day. I don't have any details to hand but it was covered by the Examiner (visit their website, if you dare!).

I've had a look on the Examiner site and I can't seem to find it.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
When it was the Huddersfield Bus Company, they employed a Scottish driver who did get his foot down on more than one occation. One incident that sticks in my mind was one occation upon returning from Glossop on the 951 in 2013, and the driver was flooring it over speed humps, round bends and more than likley trying to "clip the apex" in a mk1 Solo. One passenger (some old bloke) yelled at the driver to slow down as he stated "bl--dy hell driver, your not at LeMans y'know."

It makes me wonder if Huddersfield's answer to Jackie Stewart has been attempting Le Mans again but on the 324 and this time its gone badly wrong.

61653 HTAFC and pdq - your both not wrong about the Examiner's website.

boeing737229

ex Arriva Yorks Spectra 717 YG52 CFX has been repainted in full Tiger livery, with stripes!
Cadet 624 KIG 7304 seems to've made itself scarce of late, is it away being refurbished, or is it in storage?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just gone past Waterloo depot and seen a group of Flying Tiger branded vehicles (I'm not well versed in bus types) parked in the part of the yard traditionally used for dumping demics... have Tiger lost the LBA services or just replaced them with newer buses?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Just gone past Waterloo depot and seen a group of Flying Tiger branded vehicles (I'm not well versed in bus types) parked in the part of the yard traditionally used for dumping demics... have Tiger lost the LBA services or just replaced them with newer buses?

Most of the 737/47s are operated by ADL Enviro 200s now, complete with Arriva style stop announcements.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A weird oddity I saw today in Huddersfield at about 1710. A Yorkshire Tiger bus heading up Westgate to the bus station, destination board already set for the next service which was a 262. Normally the 262 is Huddersfield to Dewsbury on a convoluted route via Kirkheaton, Hopton and Mirfield, but this one was apparently running to Brighouse via Hopton and Mirfield! Can't imagine anyone other than an enthusiast running end-to-end on that one!

In typical Tiger fashion, this non-standard route has no suffix to indicate that it's a variation. :rolleyes:

Andyh82

Established Member
It isn’t a variation, the service was rerouted to Brighouse at February’s service changes.

It replaces the 278 between Brighouse and Mirfield which was withdrawn by Arriva.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
A weird oddity I saw today in Huddersfield at about 1710. A Yorkshire Tiger bus heading up Westgate to the bus station, destination board already set for the next service which was a 262. Normally the 262 is Huddersfield to Dewsbury on a convoluted route via Kirkheaton, Hopton and Mirfield, but this one was apparently running to Brighouse via Hopton and Mirfield! Can't imagine anyone other than an enthusiast running end-to-end on that one!

The new 262 is timed to connect with the X78 in Brighouse to Halifax, but the connection isn't guarenteed and there's no Sunday service at all on the new X78.

Andyh82

Established Member
That’s just smoothing the change over for the small number of passengers who used to travel from say Elland to Mirfield.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That’s just smoothing the change over for the small number of passengers who used to travel from say Elland to Mirfield.
I'm guessing that's a smaller number than travel from Hopton to Dewsbury, who now have to change in Mirfield? :rolleyes:

I'm surprised they've kept the same number, given that it's such a radical change, and that the 262 was so long-established... but then consistency over bus service numbering has never really existed. Not since deregulation anyway.

Andyh82

Established Member
40 mins of the 55 mins trip is still the same routing though

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The latest proposed changes to services in West Yorkshire have caused me a fair bit of confusion... might be an Aspie thing, but then again it might not be. In particular the Tiger services to HD8 (Denby Dale, Clayton West, Kirkburton) are a mystery.

Just now I looked at the timetable at the stop I use in that area to see listings for the existing services to Huddersfield (81/82, 3bph in total) alongside a new 233 service which runs half-hourly. The Yorkshire Tiger website suggests their changes are happening on 2/9 (tomorrow as I write) whereas the Metro website has today (1/9) as the changeover date. Metro say the 233 is a replacement for the 81 and 82, though the use of 233 had me wondering if it would run through to Wakefield: a route even Yorkshire Traction never tried!

As it happens, an 81 turned up in the usual slot, so presumably the change will be tomorrow, but for a few minutes I wondered if there'd be a bus at all! Unsurprisingly the bus has absolutely no posters that mention the changes.

Looks like the service is being cut from 3bph to 2bph, despite loading generally being healthy in my experience. On the one hand, the area (being rural and for the most part not poor) is lucky with 2bph, but on the other hand the service is being cut despite high usage, and all buses will (from what I can gather) now operate via the slower Highburton route.

If this can happen in a PTE area, what hope for the rest of the country?

Andyh82

Established Member
Here https://www.wymetro.com/media/3965/public-transport-changes-ct112-02.pdf

The changes to the 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 231, 232, 233 all say Sun 2 Sep (except the 233 which actually says Sun 1 Sep but is obviously a misprint)

Yes they are reducing the frequency down from every 20 to every 30 mins and all the different variants down to one service that serves Clayton West and Denby Dale. I think they are using the 233 number as alongside the 231/232 there will be a bus every 15 mins between Huddersfield and Waterloo.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Here https://www.wymetro.com/media/3965/public-transport-changes-ct112-02.pdf

The changes to the 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 231, 232, 233 all say Sun 2 Sep (except the 233 which actually says Sun 1 Sep but is obviously a misprint)

Yes they are reducing the frequency down from every 20 to every 30 mins and all the different variants down to one service that serves Clayton West and Denby Dale. I think they are using the 233 number as alongside the 231/232 there will be a bus every 15 mins between Huddersfield and Waterloo.
The confusion was largely caused by a shiny new timetable poster which displayed both the old and new services!

A (tiger) bus every 15mins to Waterloo is also a downgrade, as several Waterloo-based buses are emblazoned with branding advertising a 10-minute interval service.

It'd make more sense to stick to the old service pattern but make the buses set-down only from Waterloo to Town (pick-up only outbound) as the Wakefield road stretch has plenty of services from First's 37x routes.

Oh, for re-regulation!

Attachments

• 20180901_132237.jpg
    20180901_132237.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Well the 78/X78 between Halifax and Brighouse has been axed as of tonight.

The replacement that is the TJ Walsh operated 257/258, there suppose to be addtional journeys on the 258 to partially replace the Yorkshire Tiger's short lived 78/X78. The only irritaion is that WY Metro are still showing the old timetable from 2015 rathter than the new one so I wouldn't be too suprised if this lack of advertising is to try and kill off another route by stealth.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Well, my first day riding the new 233 service into Huddersfield, and as expected the cut in frequency led to several standees by Fenay Bridge, with people being left behind along the "high frequency" Waterloo to Huddersfield section. Not to mention late running from Skelmanthorpe that turned from 7 minutes to almost 20 by Aspley.

Well played, Arriva! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.